Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanRO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2021
I was curious to hear out what do people who, like me, upgraded from the 13 Pro Max, feel about the upgrade.

- battery is definitely worse (hope future updates will make it better)
- screen is so much better/brighter (I like the AOD, provided that they bring some more options to it)
- the Island is only a gimmick at this point; no real usage plus really hard to reach (but it does make the phone look 2022 and I like the looks)
- speakers for me at least, don't sound as loud as the 13PM, they do seem richer in sound, but not as loud
- cameras are SO much better than on the 13PM, I might've had a defective unit, but the photos in complicated scenarios were over processed, not sharp, terrible in one word; I do seem to have that jitter on the 14PM when I take close up photos of documents for example with the main lens, but I think it will be fixed by software. (there are a few threads on this topic on the forum)
- I really like the deep purple, which in most cases looks like navy blue.

I traded my half year 13PM 128gb and with 470 euros difference i got the 14PM 128gb :oops: Crazy move some might say but these are Eastern European prices 😬

Overall I'm happy with the switch, most impressed by the cameras and screen. I do miss the crazy 13PM battery life, but I do hope it will improve on the 14PM with future updates.

So again, how do you guys feel the differences between the generations?

JaraCz

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2022
I am one step to selling 14Pro Max. I have a woman who wants to buy it today for standard price.
i am leaning towards selling and buying back 13 PM.

reasons:
- I do not feel difference between 13PM and 14 PM in usage experience
- battery is much worse
- I do not see difference between 14PM. Actually I think 14 PM photos are worse. I took photos when goin out in weekend and night selfie photos were awful. I was very satisffied with 13PM photo quality, especially when I was in safari In Africa - great photos
- I do not notice difference between speakers, I did not think about it to be honest
- I can spare 600$ if I find 13PM for good price
- screen is too shining and has so much reflections.
- I do not want to support Apple in producing repacked old devices trying to persuade us it is new.

Only 1 think I like is Dynamic Island which is only software tweak.

DanRO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2021
I am one step to selling 14Pro Max. I have a woman who wants to buy it today for standard price.
i am leaning towards selling and buying back 13 PM.

reasons:
- I do not feel difference between 13PM and 14 PM in usage experience
- battery is much worse
- I do not see difference between 14PM. Actually I think 14 PM photos are worse. I took photos when goin out in weekend and night selfie photos were awful. I was very satisffied with 13PM photo quality, especially when I was in safari In Africa - great photos
- I do not notice difference between speakers, I did not think about it to be honest
- I can spare 600$ if I find 13PM for good price
- screen is too shining and has so much reflections.
- I do not want to support Apple in producing repacked old devices trying to persuade us it is new.

Only 1 think I like is Dynamic Island which is only software tweak.
Sad to hear you are unhappy with your purchase. For me with the photos is the other way round, as I said, I might’ve had a bad 13PM unit as photos overall were bad. The speakers though were loud af.
Regarding the screen, as I said in the original post, is so much better, I like the fact that is much brighter, and combined with the smaller side bezels and island the phone does feel newer, more up to date

JaraCz

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2022
Bezels are smaller?Wow, I did not notice. I have it for 1 months but did not test it still. Only unsing for apps and perfoemance is the same.. lagging with many apps. I would appreciate more RAM and better CPU.

JaraCz

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2022
No it is not . As I wrote before, I turned off AOD and battery is still worse than 13 PM

DanRO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2021
It’s the AOD actually.
I think it’s both, had the aod turned off for a hike trip and baterry went down quicker than on my old 13pm. In reality I think it’s about an hour difference (without aod). With aod about 2, 2 and half hours
Also Ios seems to be pretty badly optimized for the 14PM.

One important aspect I forgot to metion is the cell reception is so much better, both on mobile data and wifi.
As I said I tend to think I had a problematic unit, but who knows.

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
Good camera upgrade but I would have probably waited for the 15 ultra unless you’re a real heavy camera user. Dynamic island will be more mature by then as well.

Starchild72

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
I made the switch. As a pro graphic artist I love the new camera! as for the dynamic island, I'm waiting for 3rd party app developers to incorporate it. Found a game called. Hit the Island. it's like Pong. it's pretty neat.

Reactions: yaboid01 and DanRO
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.