Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which rumored 14 Pro notch replacement looks better: pill+hole cut-out or single wide-pill cut-out?

• Total voters

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
36ca44ea-7d80-4177-a928-652b7c1ed8a4-jpeg.2049441

Attachments

• 36CA44EA-7D80-4177-A928-652B7C1ED8A4.jpeg
    36CA44EA-7D80-4177-A928-652B7C1ED8A4.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 354

NeonManiac

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2022
I know the pill + hole cut out doesn't provide more screen use, but visually I think it looks better than the one long "pill". However I didn't like the pill+hole punch design when it was first rumoured months ago either and eventually came around to it. Maybe they same will happen with the single long pill should it come to fruition. We will know next week. Both are better than the notch though, I have always hated the notch. IMO it feels so much more intrusive being attached to the bezel. But I'm on the xs so I'm just looking forward to having better cameras, pro-motion display, a larger phone, better battery and more storage.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
To be honest, I’ve never had a problem with the notch, and the fact that Apple shrunk it with the 13 series, I wouldn’t have minded if it came on the 14. Since the notch is going away, and after looking at the pic, I like the pill + hole better.

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
There is no option for "I don't care." From a practical standpoint I won't think I'd notice a difference between either option after the first few days. Honestly the half-milimeter of unused space on the screen that either option gives me won't make a difference. Unless that extra space is being leveraged to communicate additional information to me it is useless anyway.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
To be honest, I’ve never had a problem with the notch, and the fact that Apple shrunk it with the 13 series, I wouldn’t have minded if it came on the 14. Since the notch is going away, and after looking at the pic, I like the pill + hole better.
I'm surprised you like the pill + hole over the notch. I thought you hated that design when it was being done on Androids.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
I liked the pill + hole better (more screen real estate looks better, even if it’s not functional) before we found out that the single blacked out pill will have the privacy indicators in the middle. That’s a better, cooler looking use case imo.

Reactions: Dulcimer

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
I do hate the hole on androids. To be honest, if I want the new iPhone, I have no choice but to like whatever they release. I’ll get used to it like I got used to the notch.
Yeah if you're in the Apple Ecosystem nothing much you can do if you want to upgrade. I think you'll come around to the hole. I remember in the past you said you would never buy an iPhone with a hole. Apple now gave you no choice.

Reactions: StaceyMJ86

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
Symmetry in nature and consumer products defines beauty. I think the single wide pill wins here over the notch, which strikes me as an expansive swath of nothingness that is neither beautiful nor functional for the user.

VuvuzelaiPhone

Suspended
Aug 15, 2022
Yeah if you're in the Apple Ecosystem nothing much you can do if you want to upgrade. I think you'll come around to the hole. I remember in the past you said you would never buy an iPhone with a hole. Apple now gave you no choice.
pRiNcIpLeS

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC

Yup they gave me no choice if I wanted to continue using their devices. I also said I would never buy an iPhone with the 3 cameras on the back and look I’ve been using one for almost 2 years. I barely look at the back even though I have a clear case and can see the color.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Single pill looks better from renders. I don't think it's even close and the poll agrees. Hard to know for sure without actually using them though.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
I actually preferred pill+hole design at first (design looked unique and quirky) since the wide pill just looks kinda odd and bit too big imo.

But seeing what they’re doing with the privacy/mic/notifs (?) indicator has actually made me reconsider and now I prefer the wider pill.

Reactions: theshoehorn

theshoehorn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
I actually preferred pill+hole design at first (design looked unique and quirky) since the wide pill just looks kinda odd and bit too big imo.

But seeing what they’re doing with the privacy/mic/notifs (?) indicator has actually made me reconsider and now I prefer the wider pill.
Agreed! I like the pill + hole, but with the indicators in the middle it makes it nice 🙂

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.