Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Is anybody else annoyed that the new photo processing features coming to the base iPhone 15 are not coming to last year's Pro models?

In the context of their loooong environmental segment, I find it especially galling. They say they want to have as little impact on the environment as possible, whilst simultaneously trying to force you to upgrade after just one year.

As far as i can tell, the only new camera feature coming to the 14 Pros is full-resolution HEIFs. I am grateful for this, but why not Smart HDR 5, 24MP images as default and the auto depth-map saving? Surely all are possible with the same A16 chip? There seems to be no good reason other than forcing you to upgrade and saving a few development hours. I am not sure I have seen something like this from them before. I can usually conceive of some limitation they might be able to point to to justify not including a feature in an update. This time it just seems like greed. Anyway, I wanted to get that off my chest. Plenty of people bought iPhone 14 Pros as recently as this week. I think Apple should be more considerate to customers after they made the sale.

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2023
Yes good point, wondering the same thing!! Does seam like sales stunt by Apple and there have been similar in the past.

Reactions: Brad7

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
If someone feels forced to buy a new phone because of these minor changes, they certainly can’t blame apple. IMHO.
Smart HDR 5 looked incredible in their sample images. Time will tell if they are representative. Being able to turn images into portraits after the fact is great and the new processing pipeline that spits out 24MP images sounds ideal to me. They don't seem minor at all. And as they were central to Apple's presentation, I don't think they seem minor to them either. That being said, I will still not be upgrading. I'll just grumble about it on here.

Carlsberg69

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2023
If someone feels forced to buy a new phone because of these minor changes, they certainly can’t blame apple. IMHO.
Well, no one have been talking about forcing anybody, just the weird fact there seam to be no technical reason to not getting the same features as the 15 on the 14.

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2012
Well, no one have been talking about forcing anybody, just the weird fact there seam to be no technical reason to not getting the same features as the 15 on the 14.
I guess they want to sell 15pro for the new features

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Same as last year, they locked the 13 Pro to shooting 1080p/30 in cinematic mode but let the base iPhone 14 do 4K 24/30fps cinematic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.