Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klpribula93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2021
Hi!

It's been a super long time since I posted on here! I recently was moving back to my hometown after getting a new job, which i am starting next Monday! Very excited about that. Been busy unpacking and getting everything ready to go before I start work!

Annnyways.... I picked up a new iPhone 14 Pro in Deep purple (Which i'm also very excited about since purple is my favorite color) today at my local Apple store. They helped me get my 13 Pro transfer over to the 14 Pro since all of the 14 line are eSim now. I came back to my parents house to drop my sister off back at my parents after eating dinner together, and my Dad who is at work (he works night shifts as a pharmacist haha), noticed that my phone was flashing on their security camera at their front door. He let me know about it since my sister and I didn't even notice my phone flashing. When I entered the house it wasn't flashing at all. I checked the call log to see if my phone may have accidentally called 911 because I know that happens sometimes, and nope, nothing on the call log. I checked the accessibility for Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing since I'm Deaf myself to see if I may have forgot to turn off the LED flashing lights for notifications, it was turned off. My other thought is that maybe I may have had my fingers touch the screen as a long touch and may have accidentally changed the lock screen and that it may have been flipping through those lock screen styles since IOS 16 allows you to customize your lockscreen now. But I haven't really notice a change on my lock screen that I'm currently using. So I'm wondering if any of you had your phone flash for no reason. It was bothering me a bit on the way back to my apartment from my parent's house. But I was curious if any of you had this happen before.

Thanks a bunch! :)

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
Sounds like how cameras often pick up pulse-width modulation, or PWM. To change the perceived brightness of the display it is turned off and on in rapid succession, several hundreds of times a second, which should ideally be undetectable by the human eye but that can also be weird on recorded video.

klpribula93

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2021
Sounds like how cameras often pick up pulse-width modulation, or PWM. To change the perceived brightness of the display it is turned off and on in rapid succession, several hundreds of times a second, which should ideally be undetectable by the human eye but that can also be weird on recorded video.
That's what I thought too... As I was leaving, I told my father to check the security camera to see what'll happen if I just tap on my screen. My father reported that it wasn't flashing when I tapped on it and just held it in my palm as how I did when I was entering the house. So I'm not sure if I may have accidentally called emergency services or if it was something else. I read an article somewhere online basically explaining that If I "had" accidentally called emergency services and hung up without being aware that it was calling or something, it's most likely that dispatch will call back to make sure you're ok. I haven't had that happened so I'm not 100% sure what made the phone flash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.