Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Be careful what you wish for…

Stainless Seel is harder and more scratch resistant than titanium. Titanium also deforms easier than stainless steel so it dents easier. It’s is lighter than stainless steel, but given the choice I go stainless steel all the time.

Both my two last iPhones were silver stainless steel. You can buff it out to resell in but the scratches are so light it is actually attractive as it gets worn. Like my stainless steel apple watch - also in silver.
This what I’ve been trying to tell thee but no one listens. 😂👍🏼

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Bruhhhh… have you ever owned a Space Black Titanium Apple Watch?
No sistah . But I’ve owned watches and other items that were titanium and they scratch very easily. Titanium phones aren’t the way forward. The PVD coating of the titanium watch is your only line of defense is what you see which makes you thinks it’s bullet proof. It may be harder and stronger but for scuffs it’s weak as stainless steel iPhone frame.

Johnny Appleseed.

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2022
Well, I’ve owned this phone for just over 2 weeks now, and I have to say, the metal edges sure are easy to scratch. I’m not surprised as it seems like every black iPhone back to the 5 has this issue, but just a PSA to those who have or are thinking about buying the space black Pro this year.

I scratched a piece of the space black finish off with my nail by accident just in normal use, and then left a scratch/scuff from front to back on the side while taking it out/putting it into an Apple leather case. So, like always with the black iPhones, don’t look at it wrong or you’ll scratch it!
I’m not surprised. They are using a new PVD coating on the space black iPhone this year. I was hoping it would be the same durable DLC coating used on previous space black Apple Watch models since it shares the same name, but sadly they are completely different. I was able to scratch the space black iPhone 14 pro pretty badly in the Apple Store with my finger nails and the lightning charger. I have had all the stainless steel iPhones since the iPhone X and out of my experience the Gold finish seems to hold up the best as its PVD process is slightly different than the rest. The gold hasn’t chipped off no matter how badly I have damaged the phone. All of the scratches seem to stay within the coating itself after hard dents and gashes. Though it may be slightly stronger it still scratches and it’s impossible to remove the scratches. The silver stainless steel is probably the best option if you want to remove scratches. I recommend using Mothers Mag&aluminum polish. I have been using that and a watch polishing Dremel on my silver stainless steel Apple Watch’s and iPhones for years now. You can easily refinish them back to an immaculate finish. The only downside to the unfinished steel is that it picks up abrasions easier and shows smaller scratches and swirl marks where as the other finishes just pick up deep scratches. But the trade off doesn’t matter since the colored phones are un-reparable and the unfinished (silver) steel is reparable. Hopefully this can help other people make a decision in the future.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Well, got it over with, unintentionally 😞

Kept caseless phone in side pocket and when in bathroom putting pants down in came right out and slid across the tile floor.

Minimal screen scratch. A few good roughness on the stainless steel.

Guess you really can’t predict all accidental scenarios and protect the phone forever, unless you lock it up in an ugly case 🤷‍♂️

Good news is I don’t notice unless I really go looking for the marks 🤞

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I'm not sure about titanium as I've never seen it implemented with a shiny finish. I know some people prefer an industrial look with a dull finish like the Apple Watch Ultra -- but since I'm paying up to $1500 now for an iPhone I don't want to trade the really good looking surfaces of the current Pro line.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Well, got it over with, unintentionally 😞

Kept caseless phone in side pocket and when in bathroom putting pants down in came right out and slid across the tile floor.

Minimal screen scratch. A few good roughness on the stainless steel.

Guess you really can’t predict all accidental scenarios and protect the phone forever, unless you lock it up in an ugly case 🤷‍♂️

Good news is I don’t notice unless I really go looking for the marks 🤞
Good thing you don’t have OCD like half the people on this forum otherwise those marks would be all you’d see.

I have seen scuffed silver phones and they look fine to me. I just hate the look of chipped paint as it bothers me a lot more.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Good thing you don’t have OCD like half the people on this forum otherwise those marks would be all you’d see.

I have seen scuffed silver phones and they look fine to me. I just hate the look of chipped paint as it bothers me a lot more.
Thankfully the marks are very small.

Reactions: Andeddu

tuanlouis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2020
After using stainless steel frame iPhone for years, I don't care about scratches. It's the natural of polished finish. Clear your mind.

Reactions: Htsi

ivansilvas

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2017
Hi! I just found this post, and I had quite a similar experience just like you with my Space Black iPhone 14 Pro Max, I always use it with a case and noticed that the paint in the borders of the phone just scratched very easily, and I began to notice the silver stainless steel on some scratches, after I noticed a little piece of the black coating just chipped of near the earpiece area I went mad and my OCD just kicked in. It’s the first time after years I’m having an issue like that, I’ve been using all the stainless steel iPhones since the X, which I bought in silver and it scratched like hell but well, that’s normal with the polished stainless steel finishes, the next year I grabbed the XS Max on gold and no issues at all, even the gold finish ended after a year usage and no issues, no chipping, only minor scratched, on the 11 Pro Max I went with the space grey, and nothing, 12 Pro Max I took gold and everything fine, also grabbed a 12 Pro on space grey and never had an issue. The next year I grabbed the 13 Pro on space grey and the 13 Pro Max in Sierra Blue and no issues at all, my OCD was very pleased and using my iPhones always with a light case, I just experienced very minor hairlines. This year with the Space Black I immediately noticed the coating feels different and after just a pair of months I noticed the paint were chipping even using it with a case, maybe the dust caused this, but it the first time I experienced this since the black iPhone 5, and I had very terrible memories with it. I just felt my 14 Pro Max will end very chipped and I began to feel uncomfortable with it so I sold it and bought a Silver one and well, that’s the best I could do, the silver iPhones don’t chip and I can live without any trouble with scratches and hairlines because I know it’s s normal process on silver iPhones, and I prefer that than paint chippings, I think something happened with the coating but now I’m happy with the silver 14PM

Reactions: Fred Zed

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
I had the opposite, bought silver to not have any ugly paint chips, phone stolen, bought a space black and it has a few silver scratches already… silver is the best color for careless and/or caseless use

tuanlouis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2020
Believe me:

- If you have OCD, go with the gold color, I do believe Apple has the best process for gold anodization. I remember they said in an event that the gold anodization is their unique process

- If you love the marks of time, go with the silver. I love the scratches on the silver frame, it's the beauty of time just like on my watch bracelet. Silver is always my first choice for iPhone and Apple Watch.

- Be careful with the new color and dark color anodization. Apple usually had problems with those colors as Apple said in order to get the exact color that they want, they sometimes try a completely new process.

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
Brushed is easy to accomplish with the green side of a scotch brite scrub. Did it on my 12 pro

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
The gold seems to resist scratches very well. I’ve taken mine in and out of cases many times to try them out and dropped it once from about 3 feet onto tile (while in a case). Took off the case and inspected it.. not a single mark. I’m impressed. This is my first time ever buying a gold model. I guess I could see black scratching easily due to the coating.
Same with my Alpine Green 13PM

Reactions: JapanApple

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Noticing some scratches showing silver on the stainless steel edge on the front of the phone. Oh well , have to look for it in the right light to really see it

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Sorry to hear that. Is it the color on the top frame edge when looking at the screen face on that you are referring to ?

Yep that

The thin edge of the frame you can see from front

Edit: you do really have to look for them though. At normal appearance can’t really see

Last edited:
Reactions: Fred Zed
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.