Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chazoak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2021
iPhone 14 Pro is restarting unexpectedly, and now quite frequently
- "panic-full" logs in the activity monitoring indicate this problem started a few days after I received it (received on 16th Sept, first crash night of 18th)
- restarts, initially, happened while charging overnight, so not easy to detect as it happened while sleeping. happened every few nights
- this was before iOS 16.0.2 (I am running the most recent iOS, so similar issue before and after)
- but now the restarts are happening WHEN NO LONGER charging, and as of today much more frequently (several times an hour)
- diagnostic tests with online technician resulted in no conclusion except to setup a Apple Store rendezvous (probable return).
- I do not have Background App refresh on (don't use it) and the crash happens whether Battery Optimization is on or off
- I have not tried a reinstall yet (not clear from comments this will solve the issue)
- Interesting is that the first night of the crash was also the first night that I used MagSafe to charge overnight, instead of a cable. But far from clear what the mechanism would be to start the crashing, and why it now continues without charging.

I've seen that some people have shared crashing iPhone 14 Pros while charging, but I am wondering if others are seeing the crashes now occur also when not charging. Thanks

Karolee21

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2022
My 14Pro is doing the same. Started earlier this week and happens when mid use/mid call/overnight and anytime really. Tried hard reset, turned off app refresh, reset network, nothing worked. Then turned off network access for the apps that were listed in there and seemed to fix it for majority of the time until today, though still restarting overnight…I think that’s when iCloud tries to do a back up though as I’ve only managed one successful back up in the last few days…usually that crashes it too. I’m on latest iOS 16.01.02 I think it was?
I did notice it didn’t happen when off wifi..though iCloud back up did still crash it on or off wifi.
I have loads of panic full logs so something not right.

chazoak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2021
I did a factory reset, and then re-installed from an iCloud backup. That worked. The iPhone is now stable for several days. I have charged it overnight with both cable-only and MagSafe. Although I have also read in an Apple Discussion thread that for some the factory reset did not work. So it may be multiple sources for the panic-full restarts.

Karolee21

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2022
I did a factory reset, and then re-installed from an iCloud backup. That worked. The iPhone is now stable for several days. I have charged it overnight with both cable-only and MagSafe. Although I have also read in an Apple Discussion thread that for some the factory reset did not work. So it may be multiple sources for the panic-full
I did a factory reset, and then re-installed from an iCloud backup. That worked. The iPhone is now stable for several days. I have charged it overnight with both cable-only and MagSafe. Although I have also read in an Apple Discussion thread that for some the factory reset did not work. So it may be multiple sources for the panic-full restarts.
yes I’m at the point where I might have to reset it. It’s definitely not as bad now the network access is off but as the majority of people are seeing this after overnight charging, I suspect it’s when the phone tries to do the back up in the night, so almost as if it’s “checking in” periodically and that reboots it. Mine has crashed once this morning since it came off charge.

vded

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2021
Hey guys, today morning woke up and found my 14 Pro completely shut off (it was charging overnight via MagSafe). Tried to charge it via lightning but still didn’t open.
I had to press the 3 buttons to do hard reset to open.
I assume this is another iOS 16.0.2 bug?
Anyone on latest beta to check if this bug has been demolished?

chazoak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2021
sorry to hear it. Mine is still holding, stable, after the factory reset and the re-install from iCloud back-up. The one difference now is that I'm relying on iCloud photos to hold my originals, so the Photos app on my iPhone is relatively "light". But not sure that should matter at all.

My best guess at this point is that something during my original iPhone 14Pro setup went wrong, when I did a phone-to-phone set-up and I experienced the freezing, at which point I had to force restart of the iPhone. While the phone then continued the set-up and worked fine for a while, I'm speculating that the phone-to-phone install and then freezing (which was widely reported) resulted in a software related glitch. If it was a hardware issue, I probably would have seen the panic-full crash again by now.

But the causes/mechanisms may be multiple-- for some people software, for some hardware (and for some perhaps both).

vded

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2021
sorry to hear it. Mine is still holding, stable, after the factory reset and the re-install from iCloud back-up. The one difference now is that I'm relying on iCloud photos to hold my originals, so the Photos app on my iPhone is relatively "light". But not sure that should matter at all.

My best guess at this point is that something during my original iPhone 14Pro setup went wrong, when I did a phone-to-phone set-up and I experienced the freezing, at which point I had to force restart of the iPhone. While the phone then continued the set-up and worked fine for a while, I'm speculating that the phone-to-phone install and then freezing (which was widely reported) resulted in a software related glitch. If it was a hardware issue, I probably would have seen the panic-full crash again by now.

But the causes/mechanisms may be multiple-- for some people software, for some hardware (and for some perhaps both).

It’s not hardware issue, it’s 100% software bug, if it was hardware would do that every time that be put on charging (regardless if it’s with cable or MagSafe).
Unfortunately  gave us the worst iOS in the last years!!

Chevysales

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2019
Pro Max 14 iOS 16.02 full restart while just sitting there on table doing nothing. Not charging nor in use. Just happened to see the apple logo come up.

Karolee21

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2022
Mine randomly stopped restarting at intervals since the 1st October. I had tried hard reset, turned off network access to any apps that had it, reset the network and it still restarted occasionally and when doing the iCloud updates, that crashed it too. The only additional thing I’ve done was turn off the automatic time setting, then set it to my time zone. I think whatever is causing this is tied in with the phone “checking in” as it does for location, time etc at odd times throughout the day. I r since put the time/date back to automatic but 🤞🏼🤞🏼 it hasn’t restarted for over 36 hours and nightly iCloud backups have worked fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.