Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martyna6277

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2021
I want to buy my first iPhone (I already have a MacBook and iPad) - I have Xiaomi Mi9 now. The most important thing for me is camera - I'm taking a lot of photos (often in bars with low light) and record videos on my Instagram account. I also always edit photos in Lightroom. I sometimes print out photos but usually in standard small sizes as 10x15cm, sometimes a little bigger. How it is with this new camera in iPhone 14 Pro? It is worth upgrading or should I save money and buy iPhone 13 Pro?

I heard that 4K ProRes video recording is not available in iPhone 14 Pro 128GB. Is there similar thing on iPhone 13 Pro?

And what about selfie camera? I tested iPhone 14 Pro in store - it was amazing! I could get the phone very close to my eye and still everything was in focus. Unfortunately, 13 Pro was unavailable, so I couldn't compare them live :( But does it also have such good focus? I know that now in the new iPhones there is autofocus in the front camera, but unfortunately I have no comparison with the 13 Pro.

Last edited:

martyna6277

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2021
Also, does somebody want to share raw photos from iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro? Preferably, two similar shots. I would love to compare them to photos from my Xiaomi.

Sweatypalms557

Suspended
Sep 18, 2022
Based of what you mentioned about photography being important to you and how you edit in Lightroom I would say go for 14 Pro. The 48MP ProRAW photos will be heaven for a Lightroom user like yourself.

14 Pro 128GB won’t be able to do 4K ProRes. You don’t need ProRes if all you do is upload videos to Instagram.

martyna6277

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2021
Based of what you mentioned about photography being important to you and how you edit in Lightroom I would say go for 14 Pro. The 48MP ProRAW photos will be heaven for a Lightroom user like yourself.

14 Pro 128GB won’t be able to do 4K ProRes. You don’t need ProRes if all you do is upload videos to Instagram.
Thanks! But I also upload photos on Instagram so I was thinking that maybe 12px raw in 13 Pro wouldn't be so bad. I watches tons of reviews and comparisons and the big difference is after zooming the picture.

martyna6277

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2021
Also, the price difference between the 13 Pro and 14 Pro in the 128GB version in my country is about 210 euros, and that's a considerable amount of money 😅

The only reason for me to upgrade to 14Pro is camera and I just wondering if is worth it as I don't see any other reason to pay more for this phone.

Sweatypalms557

Suspended
Sep 18, 2022
Thanks! But I also upload photos on Instagram so I was thinking that maybe 12px raw in 13 Pro wouldn't be so bad. I watches tons of reviews and comparisons and the big difference is after zooming the picture.
It really depends on how much flexibility you want in Lightroom. The 13 Pro shooting RAW is fine. The 14 Pro just gives you more data to work with in the case you want to process your photo a lot more.

I noticed with 14 ProRAW 48MP shots I can push the exposure and get more shadow detail in Lightroom if needed.

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
Simple question. If one doesn’t use 48mp mode and uses 12 does it matter ? Meaning the photos are still same

You mean shooting in 48mp vs 12mp RAW? They are the same photo...but with lower resolution. So you would be losing a lot of flexibility (or, looked at another way, shooting in 48mp you are GAINING a lot of flexibility you may not use). In all other kinds of shooting your output will be 12mp anyway, though through pixel binning you are getting some benefit from the full 48mp.

Reactions: Fred Zed

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
You mean shooting in 48mp vs 12mp RAW? They are the same photo...but with lower resolution. So you would be losing a lot of flexibility (or, looked at another way, shooting in 48mp you are GAINING a lot of flexibility you may not use). In all other kinds of shooting your output will be 12mp anyway, though through pixel binning you are getting some benefit from the full 48mp.
I mean in regards to utilizing the 48 mega pixel camera. In 12 mp mode it’ll be around the same as the 13 PM?

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
I mean in regards to utilizing the 48 mega pixel camera. In 12 mp mode it’ll be around the same as the 13 PM?
Oh I get it. I am going to have to defer to other more photo-tech-oriented, BUT this I do know: shooting in 12mp is not as simple as turning off 75% of the pixels. All 48mp are being used to collect light, and they are "binned" together in 12m groups of four pixels. As a group, each set of four takes in more light and information than the corresponding one pixel does in the 13 pro. There is also the Photonic Engine on the 14 that doesn't exist on the 13. So as I understand it, your 12mp photos on the 14 pro will be better than the 12mp photos on the 13 pro.

Reactions: Fred Zed

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Oh I get it. I am going to have to defer to other more photo-tech-oriented, BUT this I do know: shooting in 12mp is not as simple as turning off 75% of the pixels. All 48mp are being used to collect light, and they are "binned" together in 12m groups of four pixels. As a group, each set of four takes in more light and information than the corresponding one pixel does in the 13 pro. There is also the Photonic Engine on the 14 that doesn't exist on the 13. So as I understand it, your 12mp photos on the 14 pro will be better than the 12mp photos on the 13 pro.
Thanks for the explanation.

Reactions: lkalliance
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.