Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geek2022

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2022
Hey
edit: added the prices.

I am a Samsung person wanting to upgrade to iPhone. I am confused between the iPhone 14 and pro versions. The iPhone 13 pro is also at discounted prices so I am conflicted about which one to get :||

What do you all think? The thing is I want to get AirPods (base model) but if I get 14pro I won't be able to afford it. But I also don't want to get stuck with something old and def wanna use my iPhone for long ie some good number of years( I can live without the AirPods lol)

952usd for 13Pro, 925USD for 14 and 1170usd for 14Pro

share your thoughts and Experiences!

Last edited:

Farrgazer

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
My take is it depends on what you want to prioritize and what you’re willing to compromise on.

Something to keep in mind is that the 14 non-Pro and the 13 Pro have the same A-chip and nearly the same display, as the 13P supports 120Hz refresh while the 14 doesn’t. It’s like Apple took the 13P, SE-fied it and rebadged it as the 14.

The 13P had a more versatile camera, featuring additional ultra wide and telephoto lenses like the 14P, while the 14 does not have a telephoto lens. Subsequently, the 14P has support for macro photography and videography.

The camera software is a mixed bag. The 14 features Apple’s Photonic Engine, which is a name for Apple’s newest computational photography software, which the 14P doesn’t. The 14 has Action Mode, the stabilization tech that can turn your phone into a GoPro-lite, and the 13P doesn’t.

And because it’s newer, the 14 is predicted to have at least one more year of support than the 13P, but I don’t know if that would hold true given they have the same A-chip.

And the 14P just has better everything than either model.

If you’re into the camera, I would go for the 14P, no questions asked, and get AirPods at a later date.

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Hey
I am a Samsung person wanting to upgrade to iPhone. I am confused between the iPhone 14 and pro versions. The iPhone 13 pro is also at discounted prices so I am conflicted about which one to get :||

What do you all think? The thing is I want to get AirPods (base model) but if I get 14pro I won't be able to afford it. But I also don't want to get stuck with something old and def wanna use my iPhone for long ie some good number of years( I can live without the AirPods lol)

lkalliance

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2015
Hey

@Farrgazer sums it up nicely, but I will ask if you have a clearer idea than "some good number of years"? If by that you mean, "I want to use this at least four years" then I think none of the models you mention will be a problem. If you mean, like, six years, then the 13 pro and 14 might not make it that long under Apple support; I think it's reasonable to expect that you might continue to be able to update to the latest iOS five or six years down the line or so. Assuming a phone that is otherwise in good shape, with a battery replacement some time down the line I don't think making it that long is out of the question.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
Agreed with both @Farrgazer and @lkalliance. How much is each device? Id generally say don't go for the standard 14 - especially if you're coming from a Samsung device where you've probably had 90hz and above for a while. For me personally using a device that doesn't have that is jarring.

The main difference between the 13 Pro and 14 Pro is the Dynamic Island, Always On Display, and the Camera (but unless you're photo geek I really don't think it's going to be a noticeable difference.)

If the price is right for the 13 Pro, I'd say go for that. If you think the AOD and the dynamic island is worth it - then go for the 14 Pro. You can always save up for the AirPods and buy them later if you still want them. Either device will last for years and years so don't worry about longevity here.

Last edited:
Reactions: lkalliance

geek2022

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2022
Agreed with both @Farrgazer and @lkalliance. How much is each device? Id generally say don't go for the standard 14 - especially if you're coming from a Samsung device where you've probably had 90hz and above for a while. For me personally using a device that doesn't have that is jarring.

The main difference between the 13 Pro and 14 Pro is the Dynamic Island, Always On Display, and the Camera (but unless you're photo geek I really don't think it's going to be a noticeable difference.)

If the price is right for the 13 Pro, I'd say go for that. If you think the AOD and the dynamic island is worth it - then go for the 14 Pro. You can always save up for the AirPods and buy them later if you still want them. Either device will last for years and years so don't worry about longevity here.
The 14pro has a new chip. Is that something to consider? I am not into photography tbh just want an iPhone especially after how much I started loving my MBP and iPad. But not that I would compromise on quality etc.

Devyn89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2012
Out of those I’d say get the 13 Pro, best value for features in my opinion.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
The 14pro has a new chip. Is that something to consider? I am not into photography tbh just want an iPhone especially after how much I started loving my MBP and iPad. But not that I would compromise on quality etc.
The new chip is not that much better. In fact Apple themselves compared it to a 2019 chip rather than last years, which shows how little it has advanced.

How much are the phones? That’ll really help us give you a proper opinion. For example if the 13 Pro is available for the same amount as the 14 then that’s a no brainer: go for the 13 Pro.

geek2022

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2022
The new chip is not that much better. In fact Apple themselves compared it to a 2019 chip rather than last years, which shows how little it has advanced.

How much are the phones? That’ll really help us give you a proper opinion. For example if the 13 Pro is available for the same amount as the 14 then that’s a no brainer: go for the 13 Pro.
Okay so where I live, the 14 is literally 25bucks cheaper than the 13pro. So yeah kinda same price.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
Okay so where I live, the 14 is literally 25bucks cheaper than the 13pro. So yeah kinda same price.
If I was making this decision, I'd take the 14 completely out of the equation. And I'd be choosing between the 13 Pro and 14 Pro.

And the way I see it is you have to figure out if -
Always on Display (AOD)
Dynamic Island
Camera improvements
(not really noticeable in my opinion)

- are worth the extra $200+ to you?

geek2022

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2022
If I was making this decision, I'd take the 14 completely out of the equation. And I'd be choosing between the 13 Pro and 14 Pro.

And the way I see it is you have to figure out if -
Always on Display (AOD)
Dynamic Island
Camera improvements
(not really noticeable in my opinion)

- are worth the extra $200+ to you?
lol nooo, I even hate the AOD on my Samsung phone. Thankyou!!! for making it so easier to decide.

Reactions: Devyn89
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.