Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ekzapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
I just bought an iPhone 14 pro to replace my iPhone 11 pro max, hoping for a better camera. I do a lot of nature photography, including wildlife and textures of bark, leaves, etc. The new phone is not auto-focusing well at all, ... and I've found quite a few complaints about this on line, so thought I'd check here if anyone's having the same problems. I talked with Apple support yesterday and they admitted the problem and had me reset, etc etc. and it's still a problem. I can return it (through Verizon) but really hoped this was salvageable. I've been taking comparison shots with the 11 pro max and the 14 pro with inconsistent results. The distance images on the 14 pro are better and it's brighter, but still not happy with the auto focus. very disappointing. I welcome any suggestions and thoughts. Thanks!!

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I think we are just kind of waiting to see if this will be fixed in a future software release. When I was reading up on the issues before, it seemed to be determined it was a software fault, rather then the hardware itself.

R_Allonce

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2022
If there is a fix I am unaware of it. I have come across those issues myself. It is very intrusive in 3rd party apps, such as apps that need to verify your ID. We can only hope and wait that Apple wants to try tackling it.

Ekzapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
I think we are just kind of waiting to see if this will be fixed in a future software release. When I was reading up on the issues before, it seemed to be determined it was a software fault, rather then the hardware itself.
Thanks for your response. I think I feel a need to decide whether to return it while I have that window of opportunity (within 30 days) vs. keeping it and hoping for a fix. I have to turn in my 11 pro max as a trade in and keep thinking maybe I should just keep it.

Ekzapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
Still having the same issue with focusing on my iphone 14 pro. wondering if I need to start a new thread for this since it's been 4 months. Have had numerous calls with Apple. There are hundreds of complaints on the internet about this. Apple has no accountability about it. They say I can exchange the phone but not sure that will help. Other experiences from this community would be great...

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
I have found autofocus is dependent on lighting on my 14 Pro. I use my camera at night mostly, in a lit yard to take pictures of trailer numbers. If the number is in the shadows or even partially in the shadows, autofocus can take a second to work. In well lit areas it's instantaneous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.