Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evry3yrsMin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2023
Was on Reddit last week getting excited for my upgrade to the 15 pro max (coming from the 12 pro). Idk, but it seems like this year’s release got the societal bandwagon broadcast when compared to the last few years (maybe it was just me, but it reminded me of 2008-2013 era). Thought I’d share someone’s take I found particularly enjoyable:

“The People complaining that the new iPhone upgrades are a huge disappointment ~ are like a guy who dates a new girl every year & he gets upset when he finds out she doesn’t have a d1ck” - random Reddit user 😆😆

Unfortunately, these glass cracking videos are kind of getting to me as I wait for my phone to ship from Verizon. I recall there being issues almost every year with something, but it’s tech ~ so that’s normal. However, was pumped in thinking I was going to grab the Bare Naked EX clear .5mm case.

Anyone think this is overly focused fear mongering ?

ozapple

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2022
The majority of ‘glass cracking’ videos are demonstrations of force upon the phone over and above what it can be reasonably expected to be subjected to during day to day use.

Get a case and AC+ and don’t worry about it 👍🏻

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
The cracking fears are overblown fear mongering. Sure, if you drop your phone into concrete from 20 feet in the air ten times, it will crack. Sure, if you drop weights on it directly, it’ll crack and bend too. Sure, if you are TRYING to break your phone, you’ll find a way to break your phone.

If in a year there are widespread reports of iPhone 15 glass cracking with slight bumps, then I’ll eat crow. Until then I think the focus on these phones being damage prone is overhyped nonsense spread by people who rely on clicks to make a living.

Evry3yrsMin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2023
The majority of ‘glass cracking’ videos are demonstrations of force upon the phone over and above what it can be reasonably expected to be subjected to during day to day use.

Get a case and AC+ and don’t worry about it 👍🏻
The cracking fears are overblown fear mongering. Sure, if you drop your phone into concrete from 20 feet in the air ten times, it will crack. Sure, if you drop weights on it directly, it’ll crack and bend too. Sure, if you are TRYING to break your phone, you’ll find a way to break your phone.

If in a year there are widespread reports of iPhone 15 glass cracking with slight bumps, then I’ll eat crow. Until then I think the focus on these phones being damage prone is overhyped nonsense spread by people who rely on clicks to make a living.
Agreed 100% - thanks! (I should have labeled this “my reassurance thread).
Now to just have Verizon swap my black order with a blue lol.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
Watched those videos and immediately went boy that was fast as a bunch of those guys must of all been on the same plane to Australia and went to the same Apple Store there. Then they all proceeded to crash those expensive phones onto the cement. I would have loved to see them actually test them, reset them and then donated them to a charity there without the drama and mutual crashing them on the cement.

I got the iPhone 15 Pro 512 GB and I traded in my iPhone 14 Pro 128 GB and the reason was I wanted more headroom in the storage and I also wanted the USB-C as I was getting warned about the storage as I had used about 115 GB on the iPhone Pro 14.

Since I got my new phone I did not get a case at the cellular store where I got the iPhone but I got home and ordered a heavy duty case from Amazon spending less then half for a case that I wanted. I normally went with a Ottterbox Defender Pro but the pricing of the new ones was crazy at almost $80.00 and so I found a MyBat Pro Maverick Series for $33.00 with the case I also got a tempered glass screen protector. I am retired but I still work in shop on my hobbies and I have the dropsies so I went with an ugly black impact resistant case. Yes my phone will land on a cement surface sometime in the future but a good case should prevent damage and if the screen or back does break I have AppleCare+ for my dropsies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.