Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forgetcolor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
New iphone 15, coming from an 11 pro. since the 3gs i’ve been holding my iphone one handed when convenient, using my pinky to support the bottom. many do. but for the first time, with this iphone 15, all of the sudden my pinky is severely blocking the sound. it not only changes how it sounds, but i feel the vibrations on my pinky when it happens. this never happened in any noticeable way with my 11 pro — maybe because the top speaker puts out more volume on that one? it’s so strange. speakers are in the same spots, phone is same size, yet all of the sudden i’m having this issue. anyone else?

forgetcolor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
right handed
i must be holding my phone differently than everybody else? i use the crux between pinky and palm to cradle the bottom right corner of the phone, especially when one handing and trying to reach high on screen, or, like right now, as i hold the phone with both hands but also use both thumbs to type quickly. in either case, with this new phone, my pinky covers the speaker partially, creating lots of distortion and/or volume reduction

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I have found the same issue with the 14 Pro as I hold my phone with my right hand. Most right handed folks hold their iPhones with the left hand and touch the screen with the right hand which is natural way of doing things. I am right handed but I am deaf in the left ear so I have had it happen that I tend to use the right hand to hold phone which allows me to answer the phone if a call comes in. In certain hand positions I have blocked the speaker ports with smallest finger on my right hand. Now with the 15 Pro I already done the same and it is just the manner of shifting my finger slightly to not block the speaker port.

Reactions: forgetcolor

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
My pinky naturally sits under the charging port, so it doesn’t block the speaker ports at all.

forgetcolor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
I have found the same issue with the 14 Pro as I hold my phone with my right hand. Most right handed folks hold their iPhones with the left hand and touch the screen with the right hand which is natural way of doing things. I am right handed but I am deaf in the left ear so I have had it happen that I tend to use the right hand to hold phone which allows me to answer the phone if a call comes in. In certain hand positions I have blocked the speaker ports with smallest finger on my right hand. Now with the 15 Pro I already done the same and it is just the manner of shifting my finger slightly to not block the speaker port.
thanks!

i think i’ve just kept extending my one-handed hold across bigger and taller phones over the years, really stretching it by cradling the bottom corner of the phone with my right hand. admittedly its usefulness is limited, but i like to keep going with one hand when i need to.

i wonder how are you doing two thumb typing? when i do that my right pinky is still under the right bottom (middle), left pinky under left bottom corner, index fingers stabilize high on the left/right sides, and my middle fingers are on the back.

i’m still confused about why this didn’t happen with my 11 pro. when i cover the bottom speaker on the 11 it doesn’t have nearly as much muting effect as it does on the 15. hearing you had the same effect on the 14 pro suggests to me it’s not a pro vs non-pro thing though. i was thinking maybe it was because the non pro top speaker is much weaker than the pro’s top speaker.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
When I type I end up supporting the phone with the small finger of the right hand with it against the charging port and the left hand small finger resting against the small finger of the right hand. It is kind of hard explaining but this is the Pro model phone that I have and since I never had a Max I just always wanted to be able to one hand reach everywhere on the phone screen. It is a bit of a stretch on the Pro and absolutely impossible on the addition screen size of the Pro Max.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.