Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
My girlfriend and I got 15 Pro/Pro Max on launch day. So far, so good.

In what felt like a scene from an Apple advert, I actually had a use case for the precision finding feature - trying to find her in a busy train station in London. She'd given me the name of a shop she was outside of, but I didn't know where it was.

Cue precision finding, right?

Wrong!

The Find My app had the directions feature for her greyed out. When tapping on the button anyway, an error message says:

Could Not Start Precision Finding
[Person]'s device or account is not compatible with this feature

And yet we have the same location settings (share location on) and the same devices!

The feature works the other way round, i.e. she can use precision finding to find me. But it doesn't work on her phone. What gives? I am not seeing anything on Google about this.

Scorch07

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2007
I’m having the same problem, except it isn’t working for either of us. Not really sure what the issue is. I’ve also noticed Find My seems to just be generally a little buggy. I often have to force close the app and reopen it to get it to update her location at all.

JimCritchlow

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2023
Me too, Mine is the Iphone 15 pro max I can find her with precision find but she cant find me the message says. "Could not start precision finding. Jims device or account is not compatible with this feature"

Drdranyam

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2023
I’m also having trouble he exact same problem and can’t find a solution online. My wife can find me..

smactalk

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2024
I’m having this same issue as well. iPhone 15 Pro here and spouse has 15 Plus.

I opened a ticket with Apple and they have been “Investigating” for a couple of weeks now.

Has any found a resolution or workaround to get precision finding to work between phones?

JimCritchlow

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2023

I opened a ticket with Apple and they have been “Investigating” for a couple of weeks now.

Has any found a resolution or workaround to get precision finding to work between phones?
No mine is still not working

smactalk

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2024

As an update to this, I was able to precision find with a friends iPhone 15 Pro Max (temporary location share, we could both precision find each other) without issue. The issue with my spouse persists even after upgrading both phones to 17.3.

Just spoke to Apple support today as well to let them know this. Their investigation continues…

sharers-carpet.0g@icloud.

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2024
I’m having the same issue. Find my says location is two weeks old. My husband has an older phone I have a 15 Pro. No changes to settings, devices around that time. Possible work around: I can go to the Devices tab in Find My and see his phone’s location, it’s just not updating in the People tab.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.