Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NotApplicable

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2019
I want to buy an unlocked, not-carrier-linked iPhone 15 Pro Max on Apple Care Monthly Installments (ACMI).

When you select ACMI in the getting ready for preorder flow, it makes you choose a carrier.

However, if you select AT&T or T-Mobile, it doesn't actually ask you for account details (unlike Verizon).

So now I have a preorder ready for an iPhone 15 Pro Max on ACMI via T-Mobile, despite not having a T-Mobile account.

Does anyone know if it will ask for T-Mobile account details at checkout? It would be strange if they did, given Verizon asks for these details earlier in the flow...

Reactions: Brad7

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
I want to buy an unlocked, not-carrier-linked iPhone 15 Pro Max on Apple Care Monthly Installments (ACMI).

When you select ACMI in the getting ready for preorder flow, it makes you choose a carrier.

However, if you select AT&T or T-Mobile, it doesn't actually ask you for account details (unlike Verizon).

So now I have a preorder ready for an iPhone 15 Pro Max on ACMI via T-Mobile, despite not having a T-Mobile account.

Does anyone know if it will ask for T-Mobile account details at checkout? It would be strange if they did, given Verizon asks for these details earlier in the flow...
Currently tmobile does ask for your carrier info but that was for the 14. Not sure about the 15 and only way to find out is this Friday.

Djones96

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2022
I have the same questions. I want to join the apple upgrade program, am currently a verizon customer, but possibly switching within a month or 2. Since you can no longer select an unlocked phone, will I be able to order a phone through T-Mobile as my carrier, and be able to activate the phone on Verizon? Will I even be able to get through the pre order process?

NotApplicable

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2019
So right now, Verizon asks for account info to prepare a 15 preorder, but TMO & AT&T do not.

If you try to buy a 14 right now using ACMI, Verizon & T-Mobile ask for account info, but AT&T does not.

The terms and conditions state that all phones sold via ACMI are unlocked.

Seems like the highest likelihood of this working is to select AT&T based on the above.

kitt9000

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012

I think you’ll be able to order the phone without actually giving your tmo info the way it’s looking now. If you can get it to pre-pre-order (which I was also able to do being a tmo customer and using Apple Card monthly payments), it shouldn’t ask you for tmo details later when you actually place the order. However, the phone may have to have a tmo SIM activated to start, that I think may be an issue, you’ll just have to try it I think once you receive the phone.

I also test tried a Verizon phone pre-pre-order and that does ask you for account info up front before accepting the pre-pre-order.

Djones96

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2022
I think you’ll be able to order the phone without actually giving your tmo info the way it’s looking now. If you can get it to pre-pre-order (which I was also able to do being a tmo customer and using Apple Card monthly payments), it shouldn’t ask you for tmo details later when you actually place the order. However, the phone may have to have a tmo SIM activated to start, that I think may be an issue, you’ll just have to try it I think once you receive the phone.

I also test tried a Verizon phone pre-pre-order and that does ask you for account info up front before accepting the pre-pre-order.
I'm wondering if this will cause activation issues when you receive the phone. I am potentially moving from Verizon, so I don't have a T-Mobile account, but I am not wanting to select purchasing a phone from Verizon when checking out. I wonder if you select T-Mobile, it will allow you to finish the pre order process and you'd be able to activate the phone on another carrier once received.

Brad7

Cancelled
May 3, 2022
I saw this note in the Store app upon selecting ACMI then under carrier, not sure if it helps, but could be interesting:

IMG_6966.png
IMG_6967.png

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I have the same questions. I want to join the apple upgrade program, am currently a verizon customer, but possibly switching within a month or 2. Since you can no longer select an unlocked phone, will I be able to order a phone through T-Mobile as my carrier, and be able to activate the phone on Verizon? Will I even be able to get through the pre order process?

If you’re on the Apple Upgrade Program or ACMI, you still get an unlocked phone. It just requires activation with carrier when you first use it (likely with the usual $30-35 activation fee).

Just activate with Verizon if that’s what you have now and you can just add T-Mobile eSIM later.

Reactions: Djones96

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2009
I have metro by t-mobile, I usually pre order mine unlocked with Apple Card installments but this year I don’t see this option? Do I pick t mobile? Will it come unlocked?

Brad7

Cancelled
May 3, 2022
I have metro by t-mobile, I usually pre order mine unlocked with Apple Card installments but this year I don’t see this option? Do I pick t mobile? Will it come unlocked?
Yeah the option to get no-carrier unlocked with ACMI was removed, sadly. Picking the carrier option with ACMI will get you the unlocked version, yes. But it’s unclear if we actually have to sign up for a T-Mobile or att plan during checkout. We’ll know on Friday for sure, though.

Nikos

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2008
New York
Seems like those of us doing ACMI with unlocked phones have to buy outright this year.

I chose T-Mobile as well, because for some reason my brain told me that's what I did the last couple of years.

I suspect it'll ask us for T-Mobile credentials on Friday, as it does for currently released phones. AT&T doesn't seem to ask though, which is interesting. Wonder if it will on Friday.

The worst part is I decided to do it with Citizens this year so they ran a credit check for absolutely no reason.

Think I'm just going to buy outright with trade-in.

Djones96

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2022
My 14 pro max has a balance on it with Verizon. I did the pre approval for the AUP and it went through. I am hoping that since there is an outstanding balance on the 14, it doesn't affect my checkout process.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
It probably will. Apple stopped allowing ACMI for SIM-free iPhones on August 15.

How come they stopped allowing this? I got my iPhone 13 Pro this exact way two years ago and I was planning on getting the 15 Pro via ACMI, but I can’t buy an unlocked “set up carrier later” model. I use FirstNet as my carrier and do not want to buy a “locked” AT&T model. But from my understanding, aren’t all the newer US carrier iPhones the same model number with the same bands now? There’s no longer a specific carrier model? It looks like my only option would be to pay in full to allow the non-carrier model purchase to be available.

patricem

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2005
" You’ll need to select AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon as your carrier when you check out. An iPhone purchased with ACMI is always unlocked, so you can switch carriers at any time."

Does anytime mean as soon as it arrives I wonder?? Maybe them forcing us to choose one doesnt actual mean we must use them? Or have a current account with them?? 🤔

NotApplicable

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2019
" You’ll need to select AT&T, T-Mobile, or Verizon as your carrier when you check out. An iPhone purchased with ACMI is always unlocked, so you can switch carriers at any time."

Does anytime mean as soon as it arrives I wonder?? Maybe them forcing us to choose one doesnt actual mean we must use them? Or have a current account with them?? 🤔
I don’t see how an unlocked phone will “force you to activate” on a specific carrier upon first turning on…

So I’d assume we’re safe if it allows checkout without entering account details on AT&T, like appears to be the case if you try to buy an iPhone 14 right now..

The one that confuses me is T-Mobile doesn’t ask for account details for preorder prep, but it does for iPhone 14 purchase…

Tokenfreak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011

I’m wondering the same thing. I’m buying a TMobile iPhone but going to try to activate it on Verizon when it arrives to avoid Verizon’s $35 “upgrade fee”. I’ll see if it works lol 😂

patricem

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2005
So I just did the chat. This is what they told me.
  • I understand you are looking to purchase an iPhone on financing to use with another carrier. However, I am afraid as per the recent update by Goldman Sachs, we are only able to finance an iPhone when it is connected to one of the three listed carriers. Even though the device is connected to one of these carriers, it comes unlocked, so I would suggest proceeding with either of these carriers and then once you have the device, you will easily be able to switch carriers.

• Agent's Message:
    As Goldman sachs is our Apple card provider and these are the restrictions imposed by them.

Yes you would be able to connect to your current carrier later, however you would require a carrier connection from one of the carriers listed.

Brad7

Cancelled
May 3, 2022
  • I understand you are looking to purchase an iPhone on financing to use with another carrier. However, I am afraid as per the recent update by Goldman Sachs, we are only able to finance an iPhone when it is connected to one of the three listed carriers. Even though the device is connected to one of these carriers, it comes unlocked, so I would suggest proceeding with either of these carriers and then once you have the device, you will easily be able to switch carriers.

• Agent's Message:
    As Goldman sachs is our Apple card provider and these are the restrictions imposed by them.

Yes you would be able to connect to your current carrier later, however you would require a carrier connection from one of the carriers listed.
Very interesting. So I wonder how they define carrier “connection”. Does it need a plan sign up? Or do they just mean clicking the carrier logo during checkout? What is the barrier/carrier gate between checkout and powering on the device to do our own activation?

Lakersfan74

Suspended
Oct 17, 2019
When I did the get ready thing using the app after choosing trade-in the next page asked me if I wanted to trade in my current 12P with T-Mobile and I selected it. The app already knows what devices I own so i assume it already knows what carrier I currently have because its listed under "About". So my new phone should already be T-Mobile linked all i have to do is sit them side by side and do activation grahic thing. I don't think you need carrier info to place an order.

Last edited:

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH

• Agent's Message:

I set up two preorders just in case. I’m going to try ACMI first, but falling back to buying outright.

I made sure to let the GS rep know there is no point in me keeping the Apple Card if they don’t let me take advantage of the free financing.

Lakersfan74

Suspended
Oct 17, 2019
Looks like you are doing ACMI and have one of the 3 carriers so how are you not able to take advantage of free financing?

Lakersfan74

Suspended
Oct 17, 2019
Maybe with no unlocked, no carrier option anymore we have a better chance of our phones not being pushed weeks or months out?

Brad7

Cancelled
May 3, 2022
Just saw this comment - is it true?

Top-secret workaround to get ACMI without T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T: Purchase iPhone unlocked as one-time payment with Apple Card then contact Goldman Sachs to convert over to Monthly Installments. Many people have confirmed this works including myself by asking Goldman Sachs directly.

Keep this low-key though. Shh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.