Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arjuna137

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2023
According to the CPU and GPU shrink to 3nm, fantastic battery times would be expected. 3nm needs a way less energy than 5nm. Why is the endurance of the new 15 pro only as good as the 14 pro. It should be a way better??????

Reactions: MareLuce

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
3nm needs a way less energy than 5nm.

Why do so many people believe that myth?

The past few nodes have shown only transistor density is increasing by any appreciable amount, and even that is slowing.

mailman199

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2008
New York
Reactions: MareLuce

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I think this type of story is why there is an assumption that there would be major energy savings. I thought we might see a 20% increase in battery.

Unfortunately, those articles are completely wrong because TSMC compares N3 with N5 v1.0, which was used in A14. The A15 and A16 already got the low hanging fruit.

And when they talk about 35%, it's the absolute best case scenario before TSMC revised down their numbers. In reality, the benefit of N3 over N4 is more like 10% power efficiency or 10% performance with 5% higher density.

M.Rizk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Considering the 14 Pro Max already has pretty amazing battery, I don't see this as an issue.
Consider yourself lucky. I regretted letting go of my 13 Pro Max when getting the 14 Pro Max. Battery life is horrible and let's not talk about the fastest battery degradation in the history of iPhone since iPhone 6 Plus. 13 Pro Max was amazing battery-wise, and the only reason I am going 15 Pro Max actually is that I hope the battery will last as much as the 13 Pro Max.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Launch day 13PM better battery over launch day 14PM. Battery life has been less on the 14PM and don’t tell battery life at 88% is ok versus 98% 1 year later on the 13PM. I’m hoping for great battery again on the 15PM.

Reactions: 5105973

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Someone said those numbers applied to the 14 Pro series are very "best case scenario" whereas on the 15 Pro it's probably going to be average/better than. Obviously there's no way of telling but I think the 15 Pro series battery life will be back to 13 PM levels (which were pretty good)

Reactions: 5105973

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
For years now Apple has focused on "all day battery life" and I doubt that'll change anytime soon with the current battery technology.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
There are much more that contributes to battery life than processor alone. Heck, iPhone can have 20% less battery life with 1nm processor. Basic components quality, screen power consumption, or even iOS complexity, all can contribute to battery life.

Reactions: Phazer

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Because Apple prioritized power over efficiency, this is why this generation has such a big GPU improvement
This is confusing way to say it as the parlance used when discussing chips is that efficiency means power efficiency. More clear to say that Apple prioritized performance.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Yes but there are ways to eke out some gains, which maybe has been done but not advertised for conservative reasons.

Anyway, it is what it is and 3nm is better than 4 or 5, or in the case of Intel 10 (or 14) LOL

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Ok, thanks, I think I got it. As long as there’s no weird power drains like my husband and daughter experienced regularly and I experienced on occasion, I’m hoping everything will be satisfactory.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I wonder that it was not mentioned more than "All day battery life" in the presentation. I am thinking take it at face value and then wait and see what happens. For some strange reason I think they did not say more and I think they might have done some things to improve battery life but decided to lower expectations so if it does better then pervious version then it will be a pleasant extra.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I wonder that it was not mentioned more than "All day battery life" in the presentation. I am thinking take it at face value and then wait and see what happens. For some strange reason I think they did not say more and I think they might have done some things to improve battery life but decided to lower expectations so if it does better then pervious version then it will be a pleasant extra.
Their tech specs page gives it the same number of hours for video watching use cases as compared to 14 Pro. So that suggests it’ll be very similar.

Still, I’m hoping for improvements with them underreporting it.

Sure, the AP only takes a fraction of power budget so even the 3nm node change won’t be felt so much, I’d still hope for some improvement. Doubt Apple would clock the new node to edge out more performance at minimal power efficiency gains as suggested by some here. Seems like a strange choice for a smartphone.

dchoco

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2023
people somehow associate smartphone CPU like how it works on desktop/laptops.

it doesn't correlate 100% where desktop CPU draws massive amount of watts, and second only to GPU.

theres not much to improve when it comes to SOC ... really

most of the battery drain is always attributed to either screen, and your 5g modem.

and theres no good solution for those.

if your OLED screen is still pulling massive amounts of battery, you won't see any gains even if they reduce it down to 1nm

Reactions: Dulcimer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.