Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pokolasko

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2021
Hello

I'm a photographer, so I understand technical things about sensor size, depth of field at different apertures, etc.

Problem is most likely the decentered lens on the main camera 24mm. This is also confirmed by the fact that when I switch to 28/35mm mode, the problem disappears, it crop unsharp part. One of the corners is blurry and it seems to me that the left side of the photos is too.

I want to ask if you met this on your iPhone 15 pro/max as well? I'm not sure if it's worth solving it and playing the lottery for the ideal lens if my iPhone happens to be replaced.

Blurry is photo number 3. It is best seen on FA letters.

The last 2 photos are the left and right parts

Attachments

• IMG_6324.jpg
    IMG_6324.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_6323.jpg
    IMG_6323.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_6322.jpg
    IMG_6322.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_6325.jpg
    IMG_6325.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_6344.jpg
    IMG_6344.jpg
    526.7 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_6339.jpg
    IMG_6339.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 190

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
I'm confused. You're saying that entire blurry corner is due to (in your opinion) a physical defect leading to the lens being off-center? Which means that all of your 1x photos will have a blurry corner like that?

Of course I'd replace the phone if I thought that. It is not acceptable for such a high end phone (or even a low end phone tbh) where the camera upgrades are one of the main selling points

Pokolasko

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2021
I'm confused. You're saying that entire blurry corner is due to (in your opinion) a physical defect leading to the lens being off-center? Which means that all of your 1x photos will have a blurry corner like that?

Of course I'd replace the phone if I thought that. It is not acceptable for such a high end phone (or even a low end phone tbh) where the camera upgrades are one of the main selling points
Yes, I would exchange it if I was sure I would get a perfect copy. I was in the store today and tried to compare it with another iphone 15 pro. The corner that is fine on my iPhone was bad on the other one.

1. My iphone
2. Iphone in the store

Attachments

• IMG_6370.jpg
    IMG_6370.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0022.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 174

schnitzel-pretzel

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2023
Kentucky
Are these crops?

I'm surprised, I have not noticed this with any iPhone (and I do tend to pixel peep).

To be honest, I would demonstrate the issue at the Apple Store and say I want a replacement and would be replacing it again if it has the same issue. I may even do the setup in store.

Pokolasko

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2021
Are these crops?

I'm surprised, I have not noticed this with any iPhone (and I do tend to pixel peep).

To be honest, I would demonstrate the issue at the Apple Store and say I want a replacement and would be replacing it again if it has the same issue. I may even do the setup in store.
Yes, they are all crops. it seems to me that it is a lottery. Do you own an iPhone 15 pro?

Well, I can try, but since I have the Natural titanium 1TB version, I'm not sure if any will be available for exchange, and we don't have an official applestore in my country.

Singulaffect

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2023
I have this issue on my current (2nd) iPhone 15 Pro with the upper- and lower-right corners of photos being consistently blurry/out-of-focus when taken in landscape. My 1st 15 Pro had even worse camera problems.

Been following issues with the 15 Pro main camera for the last 2 months, and it seems they're widespread enough that I'm not confident I'd get another replacement that's not afflicted by one of these issues I've seen reported:
  • hazy photos with major loss of detail, which my first 15 Pro had; see this MR Forums thread
  • blurry photos with a distinct circular ring that's out-of-focus (termed "donut blur"), which my first 15 Pro also had; see this Reddit thread
  • in-focus photos with blurry corners, which you have and my current 15 Pro have; also reported in this MR Forums thread
Genuinely curious how many people's iPhone 15 Pro/Pro Max main 48MP lens exhibit one of these issues, or if they even notice since the blurry corners on my photos are hard to spot just on the phone's small screen.

Last edited:

Ketsurui

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2023
In-focus photos with blurry corners - I have the same problem, 15PM bought on launch day.

But I'm not sure if it's a problem with the sensor, the lower left and right corners of the photo are always blurry. Even if the phone is placed upside down or sideways, the bottom 2 corners are always blurred.

Zapdoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2012
In-focus photos with blurry corners - I have the same problem, 15PM bought on launch day.

But I'm not sure if it's a problem with the sensor, the lower left and right corners of the photo are always blurry. Even if the phone is placed upside down or sideways, the bottom 2 corners are always blurred.
Could portrait mode be on and aperture wide ?

Pokolasko

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2021
Could portrait mode be on and aperture wide ?
The iPhone has a constant f/1.78 aperture
This has nothing to do with portrait mode. It's a hardware thing, it often happens in the photography world that the lenses are decentered and it seems that Apple has quite a lot of variability from piece to piece - somewhere there are perfect pieces, but that's why I asked others if they've encountered this because I don't want to play the search lottery ideal piece if it is often.

As I wrote and attached the photos above, I tried another iPhone in the store and it had a bad corner, which was fine on my iPhone.

I also had a blurry corner like this on my old Iphone 7. On my previous Iphone 12 pro, all the corners were equally sharp.

Pokolasko

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2021

I have seen that problem on some forums. The problem with all the blurred corners seemed to me to be a misunderstanding of the combination of a large sensor and a relatively large f/1.78 aperture.

This is a test from the photography world - when you take 4 photos and focus on a specific corner in all four photos. All corners should be relatively equally sharp, in my case one corner is always out of focus, which indicates a lens error.

Pokolasko

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2021
I have this issue on my current iPhone 15 Pro (a newer one that replaced another with even worse camera problems), with the upper- and lower-right corners of photos being consistently blurry/out-of-focus when taken in landscape.

Been following issues with the 15 Pro main camera for the last 2 months, and it seems they're widespread enough that I'm not confident I'd get another replacement that's not afflicted by one of these issues I've seen reported:
  • hazy photos with major loss of detail, which my first 15 Pro had; see this MR Forums thread
  • blurry photos with a distinct circular ring that's out-of-focus (termed "donut blur"), which my first 15 Pro also had; see this Reddit thread
  • in-focus photos with blurry corners, which you have and my current 15 Pro have; also reported in this MR Forums thread
Genuinely curious how many people's iPhone 15 Pro/Pro Max main 48MP lens exhibit one of these issues, or if they even notice since the blurry corners on my photos are hard to spot just on the phone's small screen.
So, in short, you exchanged your iPhone for another iPhone and it had an even worse problem? What did they tell you at the store?

Singulaffect

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2023
So, in short, you exchanged your iPhone for another iPhone and it had an even worse problem? What did they tell you at the store?
No, my first 15 Pro had worse main camera issues (hazy photos with major loss of detail + "donut blur"). My replacement (current) device has the less severe issue of blurry corners in photos. Keeping this one for now, which is disappointing, as it's probably as good as it'll get for now.

I exchanged my 15 Pro through AppleCare+'s Express Replacement Service. They didn't seem doubtful that it was a real problem, but also I didn't get the impression that it's a known issue with Apple.

Pokolasko

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2021
No, my first 15 Pro had worse main camera issues (hazy photos with major loss of detail + "donut blur"). My replacement (current) device has the less severe issue of blurry corners in photos. Keeping this one for now, which is disappointing, as it's probably as good as it'll get for now.

I exchanged my 15 Pro through AppleCare+'s Express Replacement Service. They didn't seem doubtful that it was a real problem, but also I didn't get the impression that it's a known issue with Apple.
Hello

Sorry for the late reply. Have you solved your phone somehow since then ?

I left it as it is for now and I don't know how or whether to solve it in the future.

Singulaffect

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2023
Hello

Sorry for the late reply. Have you solved your phone somehow since then ?

I left it as it is for now and I don't know how or whether to solve it in the future.
I'm in the same boat. I'm keeping the replacement 15 Pro for now, which produces the blurry corners in images, and learning to live with it.

As a result, I'm taking more pictures and framing my compositions in the 1.2x/28mm mode, which crops out the edges of the sensor with most severe issues, so there's less blur in the corners of my images.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.