Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
iPhone 15 Pro crushes the 14 Pro in significant ways:
  • Lighter: Yes. It's about time.
  • Camera: Really introduces features that matter. Smart portrait mode. 120mm zoom mode. 24 mpix high-res standard photos. 48 is too big for many applications. Improved stabilization. This is a camera upgrade that matters, and it makes this new phone worth getting.
  • Action button looks really useful. One-click access to the camera? Yeah.
  • Rounded edges. So Apple listened to--or heard--the complaints about how uncomfortable these flat-edged, heavy phones are/were. About time.
There's more. But the 15 Pro is on my buy list. What were your takeaways?

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
“Crushes” might be hyperbole.

120mm zoom is only on the Max. So what changes for the regular 14/15 Pro? Not much it seems camera wise.

Lighter is definitely good and the battery increase is much needed. (Edit: battery life didn’t improve; comparison on Apple’s site was made to iPhone 12 Pro.)

I’m salty about the USB-C and WiFi 6E updates because those should’ve been in last year’s phone. 6E was in flagship android phones in 2021 ffs. USB-C even earlier.

Last edited:

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
I'm not sure why people care so much about the titanium or edges if most just put it on an ugly case regardless. The only thing that I really thought were interesting for me was the GPU upgrades, but frankly I doubt we'll see much AAA gaming coming to the iPhone. The hardware available on the Macs has hardly moved the needle.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
  • Camera: Really introduces features that matter. Smart portrait mode. 120mm zoom mode. 24 mpix high-res standard photos. 48 is too big for many applications. Improved stabilization. This is a camera upgrade that matters, and it makes this new phone worth getting.
  • Rounded edges. So Apple listened to--or heard--the complaints about how uncomfortable these flat-edged, heavy phones are/were. About time.
Omg you finally approve of an iPhone release! 🤯 I hope you enjoy your new iPhone.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
They are just minor upgrades, not crushes. The only thing they changed was the sensor in the camera. The other two cameras, telephoto and wide-angle are still 12 megapixels, which is pretty lame. The new anti-reflective coating on the optics would be nice for getting rid of those internal reflections when shooting or shooting video with pin points of light around. The 14 promax does this pretty well already but I’m sure it’s improved some. Austin Mann will probably be releasing his iPhone 15 pro/pro max review pretty soon so be looking out for that. and just FYI, the iPhone, 14 promax, etc. is not heavy lol unless you’re an elderly person and you need a lighter phone, then yes I can understand that but if you’re still young then you have no reason to complain.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Once you go USB you won’t go back. My M1 iPad Pro has USB-C and there is not a single day that I think ”I wish it had lightening”

My concern is that it's flimsy. I have a work-supplied USB-C notebook, and the darn connector is so easy to dislodge. It never snaps in reassuringly. If this is what Apple offers, it will be absolutely horrible. Lightning I never had a problem with.

Samut

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
For photography this update is really lackluster. For 15 pro they have same tiny tele and ultra wide sensors and it seems like that the main sensor is the same as in 14 pro. Defaulting to 24 mexapixels is something they could give to 14 pro as software update as they simply scale down the picture.

gimmmick

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2015
This is probably the single biggest upgrade that Apple has made to an iPhone in a long while. Regardless of which gen iphone you have, the 15 Pro is even a big upgrade from the 14 Pro.

Still the same battery, this argument is mute. Going to be hilarious when 15 owners will start complaining about how bad your battery life will be compared to the 13 again.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
My concern is that it's flimsy. I have a work-supplied USB-C notebook, and the darn connector is so easy to dislodge. It never snaps in reassuringly. If this is what Apple offers, it will be absolutely horrible. Lightning I never had a problem with.
Valid concerns. However I don’t think that will be an issue with iPhone. My USB-C cables snaps in satisfactory to my Macbook and iPad. I also have another 4 USB-C devices in the house that I have owned for years and I have not had any issues with snapping in the connector. This includes a 3 year old Chromebook that the kids use and abuse.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Still the same battery, this argument is mute. Going to be hilarious when 15 owners will start complaining about how bad your battery life will be compared to the 13 again.
With lots of features comes…………..high battery usage - especially in a world where media consumption is growingly short videos rather than text or photos.

Reactions: MrAverigeUser

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I thought you would rant again and tell that your 8+ is the best iphone ever released :)

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
For the first time in a long time - I think the pro phones have the best colors (particularly natural titanium). The phones are lighter than last year, a bit jump. The regular iPhone also has optical zoom. Otherwise the upgrades are all very minor.

That said - I may just upgrade with the AT&T $1,000 trade in and keep the phone for three years. Annual upgrades are all incremental at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.