Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gcortesi

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2013
This is very interesting information. My wife and I have iPhone 13 Pro’s (at the end of a carrier contract) and I was planning to upgrade them to the 15 Pro, but I’m wondering now if that is really worth it. I didn’t move to the 14 Pro last year, though that device contained a 48mp camera on the main lens. It would seem that the 15 Pro wouldn’t add anything compared to the 14 Pro except titanium and USB-C (and lens coating), unless I’m missing something. Maybe I’ll wait until the 16 Pro and hope it will have 15x zoom like the 15 Pro Max and maybe a larger sensor. I thought for sure the sensor on the 15 Pro was improved / larger after watching the keynote and listening to all of the reviewers on YouTube. I was even saying that myself after the keynote. I don’t understand this since I keep reading the sensor size is larger for the 15 Pro. See https://www.zdnet.com/article/iphone-15-pro-vs-iphone-13-pro-should-you-upgrade-to-the-newest-model/. The ZDNET article says the sensor is 25% larger compared to the 14 Pro. That has to be incorrect, isn’t that right? They even state the titanium build is more durable, but early drop tests actually show the 14Pro is more durable because it retained the less curved edges. After re-listening to the Apple keynote I can see that the sensor size could be interpreted as compared to the iPhone 15, but I don‘t ever remember Apple making that kind of comparison before. (They always compare to the prior year model). Bummer - disappointed. Is there a reason to upgrade from the 13 Pro to the 15 Pro aside from 48mp camera, lens coating, USB-C, always-on display, titanium / more rounded edges, and A17 Pro chip? The missing eSIM in 15 Pro is actually a negative for me.

Last edited:

IphoneX9753

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2020
This is very interesting information. My wife and I have iPhone 13 Pro’s (at the end of a carrier contract) and I was planning to upgrade them to the 15 Pro, but I’m wondering now if that is really worth it. I didn’t move to the 14 Pro last year, though that device contained a 48mp camera on the main lens. It would seem that the 15 Pro wouldn’t add anything compared to the 14 Pro except titanium and USB-C (and lens coating), unless I’m missing something. Maybe I’ll wait until the 16 Pro and hope it will have 15x zoom like the 15 Pro Max and maybe a larger sensor. I thought for sure the sensor on the 15 Pro was improved / larger after watching the keynote and listening to all of the reviewers on YouTube. I was even saying that myself after the keynote. I don’t understand this since I keep reading the sensor size is larger for the 15 Pro. See https://www.zdnet.com/article/iphone-15-pro-vs-iphone-13-pro-should-you-upgrade-to-the-newest-model/. The ZDNET article says the sensor is 25% larger compared to the 14 Pro. That has to be incorrect, isn’t that right? They even state the titanium build is more durable, but early drop tests actually show the 14Pro is more durable because it retained the less curved edges. After re-listening to the Apple keynote I can see that the sensor size could be interpreted as compared to the iPhone 15, but I don‘t ever remember Apple making that kind of comparison before. (They always compare to the prior year model). Bummer - disappointed. Is there a reason to upgrade from the 13 Pro to the 15 Pro aside from 48mp camera, lens coating, USB-C, always-on display, titanium / more rounded edges, and A17 Pro chip? The missing eSIM in 15 Pro is actually a negative for me.
ZDNET is incorrect it is larger than the regular 15, which is smaller than the 14 pro. The tear downs are even showing the same sensor sizes as last year except for the pro max tele.

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
Ya was misleading how they did the presentation. It’s the same size as the 14 Pro, larger than the iPhone 15, and may or may not be the same sensor. The improvements are in software, subtle, but a fair number of A/B where it out performs the 14 Pro in challenging conditions.

Yan_Pramuda

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2023
To me, the most important thing is that they made 24 megapixels. That's a lot of progress.
Using the technology of combining the sharpness of a 48 megapixel photo and the dynamic range, depth of colors, shadows and highlights, tones from a 12 megapixel sensor and the resulting 24 megapixel photo is now being recorded in the iPhone.

And I really wish they were using marketing and pushing us towards new phones rather than bringing this technology down to the iPhone 14 Pro.

I watched the presentation and I also thought that Apple made a bigger sensor in the iPhone 15 Pro than the 14 Pro.

Watched the disassembly with iFixit yesterday the same size was confirmed.

I counted the number of elements on the matrices of iPhone 14 Pro and 15 Pro and their location. And it's the same!

I'm sorry to admit that the sensors are the same.

Attachments

• IMG_2978.jpeg
    IMG_2978.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2978.jpeg
    IMG_2978.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 66

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
They’re saving it for next year, which is why I’m getting an iPhone 16 Pro. It’ll go from a 1/1.28” sensor to a 1/1.14” sensor, and likely 8k24 recording at minimum.

Samsung is having profit problem, basically zero profit, and the s24 ultra does not really use bigger sensor, I would bid Apple use the same sensor again in 16 pro and pro max.

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
Interesting this is the first year they haven’t increased main sensor size since 2020 (iPhone 11 Pro Max to 12 Pro Max had sensor size increase)

The biggest phone camera sensor size is 1 inch now and seem like it cannot be bigger anymore except making the phone very thick, and Sony charges much higher price for 1 inch sensor for sure. So Apple should not increase the sensor size at all for years until there is real competition. Just like how Intel basically made the same cpu for years until AMD was back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.