Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LouisMac90

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2022
London
I luckily managed to get a 15 Pro Max at the weekend instead of waiting for my order to arrive in November. Quick question on what’s everyone set there battery settings too as you now have a few different options on iOS17.

1. Optimised Battery Charging
2. 80% Limit
3. None

I assume None is irrelevant but my 14 Pro went to 98% which no other iPhone since the 11 Pro Max has done within a year of use. Any help is much appreciated.

Louis

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Chill. Stop stressing about a battery and enjoy the phone. That's my advice.
Seriously, your 14 battery dropped by 2%. That's hardly noticeable in daily usage.
I rarely check my battery health. Just leave my setting on optimized and charge as and when I want/need to. There's more to life then stressing over a couple of % battery health.

klspahr

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2013
Central PA
I’m trying the 80% charge, if I can get through the day with that consistently then I’ll keep using it. Certainly couldn’t hurt, plus I keep my phone for years and sell them.

I have set my phone up to save power where it can without interfering with my normal usage.

Reactions: LouisMac90

LouisMac90

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2022
London
I’m trying the 80% charge, if I can get through the day with that consistently then I’ll keep using it. Certainly couldn’t hurt, plus I keep my phone for years and sell them.

I have set my phone up to save power where it can without interfering with my normal usage.
Thanks for the constructive feedback. I had to pay £1399 so I like to know when it comes to sell it next year it’s in its best condition. I will leave mine on optimised charging for now as I use CarPlay which always has power cycling through to see how I get on.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
The fastest way to degrade a battery is to charge it to 100%

No. Its to charge it to 100% and then keep it at 100% for a period of time.
Charging to 100% is fine as long as its removed from charger quickly and not left to sit at 100%

LouisMac90

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2022
London
Charging to 100% is fine as long as its removed from charger quickly and not left to sit at 100%
But it’s not that what the setting Optimised charging it learns so the phone won’t sit at 100%

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
Don't bother about battery health. Just use it. When I bought my 12PM, I was very careful about battery health. Charged it only to 80%, bought a timer to charge it only for certain period during night (at least don't have to worry about catching fire) etc... BUT, battery degraded to 91% in a year. So, I started stop worrying about battery health. I charged it whenever I want without bothering about charge level. So, in second year it lost only 4% more. Now it is at 86%. So, in my 15 PM. I only activated 80% level and I charge it whenever I can. It is like most of the things in our lives, we can't control the battery health.

Reactions: LouisMac90

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
But it’s not that what the setting Optimised charging it learns so the phone won’t sit at 100%

Optimised charging learns your charging routine to charge to 80%, and then top up to 100% just before you usually disconnect from power. Hence its not sitting at 100% for a long period of time, which damages the battery (as per my comment above).

However, the issue is you need to have a set charging routine for the system to 'learn' it. If you plug your phone in at different times the system wont learn your routine, and hence cannot apply optimised charging.

In addition, even if you have that set routine. the system needs to learn it first. So while its leaning it will just be charging to 100% and sit there all night, until it's learnt that's your routine and can apply optimised charging.

Either way, I simply charge as and when needed - up to anything between 80-100% and then remove it from charging. I never leave it plugged in overnight. Im not overly concerned enough to set it to 80% limit entirely. I just don't let it sit at 100% on charge for too long. Otherwise I want to get full use from my phone rather then worry about battery health all the time. All because you want to maintain the phone for someone else to use when you're the one that paid the full price for it.

Every time I have sold an iPhone in the past, I've very rarely been asked what the battery health is. Even if I am, I have found it doesn't hit resale value very much at all. Maybe I've just got lucky with sales, I dunno. But to me its not important enough to matter. I'll enjoy the phone I paid a hefty amount for!

Used my 13 Pro Max for 2 years. Charged as and when I needed to using my routine above, so not overnight, and just removing anywhere between 80-100%.
Oh and I only use wired charging, wireless charging creates unnecessary extra heat, which is also bad for batteries.
My 13PM was at 94% when I gave it away 2 weeks back. That's after 2 years usage! That's pretty good going - good enough not to worry and stress about!

Libertas

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2018
I luckily managed to get a 15 Pro Max at the weekend instead of waiting for my order to arrive in November. Quick question on what’s everyone set there battery settings too as you now have a few different options on iOS17.

1. Optimised Battery Charging
2. 80% Limit
3. None

I assume None is irrelevant but my 14 Pro went to 98% which no other iPhone since the 11 Pro Max has done within a year of use. Any help is much appreciated.

Louis
My 14+ is 10 months old, is at 91%, went from 94 to 91 in the last 10 days. I am noticing a difference now in usage.

I charge it ONLY with slow charging usb a not C but I leave it plugged in overnight to charge to 100%. Clearly that is part of why my performance is suffering.

Was gonna pay for a new battery but maybe will just wait and get a 15, but dont know if that will be any better.

Libertas

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2018
Not left to sit at 100% for days or hours? I charge it nightly using usb a and it hits 100 around 2 am probably and I unplug when I wake at 6 am. Is that causing problems, is that why I have gone from 94 to 91 in 10 days?

Can I also assume for non 15 iPhones using FAST charging is more degrading to battery than the usb a slow charge?

Yes, have optimized turned on. I plug it in and unplug it same time nightly but it hits 100 a few hours before I unplug it.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Not left to sit at 100% for days or hours? I charge it nightly using usb a and it hits 100 around 2 am probably and I unplug when I wake at 6 am. Is that causing problems, is that why I have gone from 94 to 91 in 10 days?

Can I also assume for non 15 iPhones using FAST charging is more degrading to battery than the usb a slow charge?

Yes, have optimized turned on. I plug it in and unplug it same time nightly but it hits 100 a few hours before I unplug it.

I do not let it sit on 100% for any time at all if I can help it. Letting it sit there for hours is not healthy for the battery, especially on a daily basis too. Seems your optimized charging isnt doing a good job - it should top up to 100% a little before it 'thinks' you will be using the handset - not hours before.

Both fast charging and wireless charging introduce extra heat. Heat is the enemy for electrical components.
While I do not use wireless charging at all, I do use a 20w charger with my iPhone, but as I said, its never overnight and I remove from charger as soon as I see its between 80-100%.

My wife charges her iPhone 12 Pro overnight every day - she doesn't care about battery etc at all, hence I have given her one of the old slow 5w chargers. Her phone seems to be doing fine - never had a battery change and still lasts her most of the day.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Both fast charging and wireless charging introduce extra heat. Heat is the enemy for electrical components.
Those are features many people want and pay for. If you spend $1k on a device and then babysit it through every charge cycle that's of course your choice to make, but I'd go crazy if I did this with every single device that's got a battery. That's multiple laptops, multiple smartphones, AW, iPads, flashlights, ebook readers, bluetooth gear like headphones and input devices, rechargeable AA and AAA batteries for this and that, and that's before considering other devices in my home that other family members use like the Nintendo Switch.

If the iPhone battery needs replacing after a couple years I just pay the $100. Isn't your time worth more than $100 every 2-3 years? Devices like the iPhone are supposed to make our lives easier and not cause additional headache.

Your strategy doesn't even work every time either. Some people in the forums here reported very lightweight use and they babysat their battery yet their battery health went down regardless. The 14 Pros saw a lot of these reports. Meanwhile I have trashed my iPhone battery to the point of over 1k charge cycles in 2 years and we all pay the same replacement fee, yet I got much more use out of my battery.

So I draw the opposite conclusion: Use your battery as heavily as you like because it degrades over time regardless. This thread specifically is about a 15 Pro Max and it seems particularly absurd to me that people spend the money for these devices yet $99 every two years is too much to ask. Especially if they trade it in and get the latest model every year the battery health doesn't matter. If it falls below 80% within a single year it would be covered by the limited warranty anyways.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Those are features many people want and pay for. If you spend $1k on a device and then babysit it through every charge cycle that's of course your choice to make, but I'd go crazy if I did this with every single device that's got a battery. That's multiple laptops, multiple smartphones, AW, iPads, flashlights, ebook readers, bluetooth gear like headphones and input devices, rechargeable AA and AAA batteries for this and that, and that's before considering other devices in my home that other family members use like the Nintendo Switch.

If the iPhone battery needs replacing after a couple years I just pay the $100. Isn't your time worth more than $100 every 2-3 years? Devices like the iPhone are supposed to make our lives easier and not cause additional headache.

Your strategy doesn't even work every time either. Some people in the forums here reported very lightweight use and they babysat their battery yet their battery health went down regardless. The 14 Pros saw a lot of these reports. Meanwhile I have trashed my iPhone battery to the point of over 1k charge cycles in 2 years and we all pay the same replacement fee, yet I got much more use out of my battery.

So I draw the opposite conclusion: Use your battery as heavily as you like because it degrades over time regardless. This thread specifically is about a 15 Pro Max and it seems particularly absurd to me that people spend the money for these devices yet $99 every two years is too much to ask. Especially if they trade it in and get the latest model every year the battery health doesn't matter. If it falls below 80% within a single year it would be covered by the limited warranty anyways.

I don't think you have read my previous posts - what you are saying is exactly what I've been saying - use the phone and don't worry about battery health.
I will do the basics - not hold at 100% or do not use wireless charging for instance (just dont see the point as there is still a wire attached regardless!), but otherwise I use as normal and never bother checking battery health. Why sacrifice your enjoyment of the handset in order to 'preserve' it for sale a year or two down the line to let someone else enjoy it for cheaper. I'd rather enjoy what I paid for price for while I have it!

Reactions: okkibs

Libertas

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2018
Thank you Ifti for the specific information it was helpful.

The other person talking about replacing a battery every year or two, I am not against that necessarily and will probably get a new battery before my year is up because I don’t want to charge it in the middle of the day every day.

Thanks

My stepson bought a “15” I guess no more lightning cables it’s all USB-C charging, that is a step in the right direction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.