Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LouE37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Anyone get one of these or have used them in the past. Thoughts on the value of this protection? I got a couple cases for my families iPhone 15 that came with them and the seemed pretty durable and made of glass. If worthwhile i may consider this for my 15 pro max.

Cavefishes

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2021
I will never use a camera protector - the majority of the time they will affect image quality negatively because you are adding additional glass / material in front of the optics and sensor. This could get especially bad in low light / night shooting, and if there is any debris or air between the protector and the lens.

You are probably less likely to break a camera lens then you are a screen or the back glass, as they are fairly small elements and most cases will have a lip around the camera anyway.

LouE37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
I will never use a camera protector - the majority of the time they will affect image quality negatively because you are adding additional glass / material in front of the optics and sensor. This could get especially bad in low light / night shooting, and if there is any debris or air between the protector and the lens.

You are probably less likely to break a camera lens then you are a screen or the back glass, as they are fairly small elements and most cases will have a lip around the camera anyway.
Thx for this

ISKOTB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2011
Florida
Anyone get one of these or have used them in the past. Thoughts on the value of this protection? I got a couple cases for my families iPhone 15 that came with them and the seemed pretty durable and made of glass. If worthwhile i may consider this for my 15 pro max.
I have this one on.

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
My previous iPhones have had issues focusing when lens protectors have been placed on them. If you really feel like you need something to protect the lenses, get a case with a sliding cover over the lenses or get a lens bumpers like these:

Aarno11

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2023
In fact, I don't really buy lens protectors separately, the one I purchased for the screen came with a lens protector inside, or maybe you could call it a kit, and the quality was so poor that I ended up rather using a solid case.

tlise

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2023
I found this thread while googling for cases with covers. I've been using a plastic clear lens protector since upgrading to iPhone 13... and now iPhone 15. I'd noticed some glare on the 13 but Google said it was because it was sensitive. now I'm wondering if it was the cap. I was trialling the new 15s camera with the tree and I was disappointed until I took the lens protector off.
added images for comparison and the clear one is without the protector.

Attachments

• IMG_8276.jpeg
    IMG_8276.jpeg
    563 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_8278.jpeg
    IMG_8278.jpeg
    763.9 KB · Views: 118
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.