Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CallmeBigfat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
I notice this issue on some photos when I use square aspect (I do 99% of the time) where the images will be cropped inside a black larger empty photo, has anyone ran into this issue yet? Id assume its software related but if its just me I may just do a quick software refresh. the way to fix the issue is to press crop move photo a slight bit then re crop square and then it updates the photo correctly. The photos actually send with the black box around them as well so its not just a visual photos app issue. (On my 14PM I was in the beta as well never experienced this issue) I have also tried toggling auto macro on and off maybe that would be the issue but was not.

thanks!

Last edited:

AHabiPhone

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2016
Central Florida
Interesting - sorry that’s happening! Definitely leave feedback on the form on Apple’s site so they potentially address in a future software update.

Smirks pixels

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2023
This happens to me too. I’ve tried all kinds of troubleshooting with the genius bar and tier 2 support and no one can fix it. It does it on the other iPhone 15 Pro maxes in our house as well. This is a showstopper. I can’t believe there aren’t more complaints! I use this phone in this capacity the majority of the time and the photos rendered are useless. Have you also noticed that it puts gray vertical lines on the photos? At first I thought they were shadows, but they are not. And they move with each photo taken. It’s very obvious when you have a white background. if anyone has figured out how to fix this, please share! I have tried changing multiple settings, reimaged my phone, you name it.
It does not happen using the .5 X or 5X lenses… But those do not work for product shots the .5 X distorts and the 5X is not sharp and clear like they need to be, not to mention, I don’t have the space to get that far away from the product. I just tried the OP’s suggestion to move the image inside the cropping to get it to crop Square and that worked but it does not take the vertical lines out. As I take hundreds of pictures this way, I cannot manually adjust each one. This is a giant failure by Apple! This is a $1200 piece of equipment that is not working in the way it is intended! My last three iPhones had no issues with this.

Last edited:

qhere

macrumors newbie
I've a iPhone 15 Pro and I'm on a project taking photographs of headstones at the local cemetery and even though it shows on the screen as "square" when I download them on to the computer for uploading them to a website - they are constantly "off" square by 0.5 to 1.5˚ (Counter Clockwise usually).

So it's slowed my workflow down as every "close up" of a headstone inscription needs to be straightened by hand.

Must be all to to with the live image vs actual photograph taken as I've tried test shots with "perfectly level" on the iPhone screen only to find they are "off square" again.

RMay55

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2023
Mine does this as well. I thought I gotten a bad phone. At least now I know it’s not just mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.