Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Does anyone know a folio-type case (preferably leather) where the iPhone can easily be removed from the it?

It's for a iPhone 15 Pro.

I swear I've seen folio ones in previous years where the phone was in one case, then magnetically clips onto the folio bit. This is nice as you can remove the phone quickly from the more bulky folio when needed, but then clip back onto the folio part when requiring more protection (eg. when putting in a bag, or similar).

Searched all over today for one, but darned if I can find one... Anyone seen such a thing, please help!? :)

Last edited:

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
I have been looking for something like this myself along the lines of the Smart Folio for the iPad Pro. I don’t know why this isn’t made. Most of the ones I’ve seen have an internal plastic piece that you put your phone into. The whole point of me using it would be to easily take it out of the folio, so all of these companies are missing the point.

pdauser92

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
London, UK
I have this one from Decoded:

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Vaja (high end so it will cost you, but it can be bought a la carte)

Shieldon (leather) and Tucch (vinyl). They are sister brands.

I've had a detachable Tucch in the past, and they're good quality at a reasonable price. But it looks like they've gone to a simpler, and cheaper-looking plastic-only inner case (👎) with the 15 series, versus the old models that had leather and vinyl embellished inner cases.

Folios aren't for everyone, and something else to be aware of with the detachable type is the added thickness. It gets worse if the card slots are filled and actually used as a wallet.

Since MagSafe has been made integral to the phone, it eliminates the need to put magnets in the case itself as in the past, but there is still an extra layer in the sandwich.

Another thing to be aware of is the sleep/wake function, which is/was a noticeable omission/annoyance with the folios that lack it, like Nomad's, at least in the past.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Thanks all. They all look as contenders, but no cigar quite yet! :)

Looks interesting. Love to see pics of the buttons to see what they're offering for the 15's new Action button.

Also, looks interesting. Again, love to see pics of the 15's Action button side, to see how they handle it.
Vaja (high end so it will cost you, but it can be bought a la carte)

Shieldon (leather) and Tucch (vinyl). They are sister brands.

I've had a detachable Tucch in the past, and they're good quality at a reasonable price. But it looks like they've gone to a simpler, and cheaper-looking plastic-only inner case (👎) with the 15 series, versus the old models that had leather and vinyl embellished inner cases.

Folios aren't for everyone, and something else to be aware of with the detachable type is the added thickness. It gets worse if the card slots are filled and actually used as a wallet.

Since MagSafe has been made integral to the phone, it eliminates the need to put magnets in the case itself as in the past, but there is still an extra layer in the sandwich.

Another thing to be aware of is the sleep/wake function, which is/was a noticeable omission/annoyance with the folios that lack it, like Nomad's, at least in the past.
Vaja - don't seem to do a removable inner, AFAICS.
EDIT: sorry, actually on checking they do this V-Mag thing. But it's ~£€200: for the two separate things.

Shieldon / Tucch - do they do plain black ones with removable inner case part?

The whole point of me using it would be to easily take it out of the folio, so all of these companies are missing the point.
Completely agree. So few options out there for this simple concept.
Even if someone could do a simple outer case for Apple's silicon ones to click onto, would do it. But nope, none, nada! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Kierkegaarden

pdauser92

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
London, UK
Thanks all. They all look as contenders, but no cigar quite yet! :)

Looks interesting. Love to see pics of the buttons to see what they're offering for the 15's new Action button.

Also, looks interesting. Again, love to see pics of the 15's Action button side, to see how they handle it.

Vaja - don't seem to do a removable inner, AFAICS.
Shieldon / Tucch - do they do plain black ones with removable inner case part?

Completely agree. So few options out there for this simple concept.
Even if someone could do a simple outer case for Apple's silicon ones to click onto, would do it. But nope, none, nada! :rolleyes:
The buttons on the Decoded:

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpeg
    IMG_0005.jpeg
    583 KB · Views: 294
  • Love
Reactions: jimthing

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
The buttons on the Decoded:
Many thanks! Yes, that one looks like a very strong contender to be in my other half's future.

These Brussardo ones look interesting too, if you're an alternative slip-inside folder type case:

Last edited:

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
No, but it looks like a decent second option; with thanks. In the end, I bought the Decoded one:

Decoded's one in Black arrives in couple of days (hopefully), so will add some pics & my impressions to aid others.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Well this morning (Fri.29.Sep.2023) it arrived, so here are some very quick pics, as promised:

IMG_1117.jpg
IMG_1118.jpg
View attachment 2284371
IMG_1123.jpg
IMG_1124.jpg
IMG_1128.jpg
IMG_1127.jpg
IMG_1126.jpg
IMG_1129.jpg
IMG_1120.jpg
IMG_1119.jpg
IMG_1121.jpg
IMG_1130.jpg

Really decent case actually, and at just the right price I think; £60 delivered (from seller on Amazon UK: Pro / Pro Max), which matches Apple's awful FineWoven ones I previously tried and returned!

I'd give it 9/10, as the only slight niggle is the clasp/strap on the side can't be adjusted so is always slightly loose if there are no cards inside when closed, but really nothing to worry about much – its tighter after trying with 3 cards inside. Although won't be using with cards, as they touch the screen (like most wallet cases), and may scratch it (though you could alternatively slip cards in the banknote section to avoid this, if needed).

Buttons all there, and decent speaker/port cut-outs all round. And very importantly, both case parts have MagSafe functionality built-in on their back, for wireless charging/accessories use, which is an absolute must have IMO!

BTW, those Shieldon's look decent too, but just a TPU inner case hence cheaper, and AFAICT the only major differences being it's a magnetic strapless front, rather then a magnetic strap on the Decoded, and can be stood horizontally for watching content. But I think my other half prefers the Decoded's dual-leather cases overall, so keeping.

Attachments

• IMG_1128.jpg
    IMG_1128.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1123.jpg
    IMG_1123.jpg
    519 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1122.jpg
    IMG_1122.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

macdaddy01

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2007
Cali
Does anybody know an iPhone 15 pro folio case that enables the display lock / unlock option so that the display turns on an off when the cover is opened and closed respectively? My iPad does that because the case cover has a magnet.

Reactions: ecthomp

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
My wife just received her Vaja V-Mag case and portfolio for her iPhone 15 Pro Max. It is heavier than the normal Vaja portfolio case, but far more versatile. I also think the magsafe works even better. They are expensive, but really well made and last a long time. She had her last portfolio case two years and it still looked great.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
My wife just received her Vaja V-Mag case and portfolio for her iPhone 15 Pro Max. It is heavier than the normal Vaja portfolio case, but far more versatile. I also think the magsafe works even better. They are expensive, but really well made and last a long time. She had her last portfolio case two years and it still looked great.
Sounds nice. if you've got time, some pics would be great.

Reactions: GDF

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Got a black Shieldon detachable Pro incoming. Will add some pics and views in couple of days.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
That is a nice looking case. Do you have it? Do you know if that front cover stays closed? Or does it flap around?
Thanks for adding. Unfortunately, that one looks way overpriced for what it is IMO ($98/£83), and worse it blocks the camera when inside the outer case. Dunno about front, maybe a magnet-edge as per some others, but they can't even be bothered to tell you on the page?!

Still waiting for my Shieldon to arrive. But here are some other options I found, likely all from the same Chinese factory, just rebranded, but anyway!

- FYY, Magnetic Detachable Wallet Case (leather), £36:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0CHJFMC4Q

- Venoult, Detachable Wallet Case (leather), £69:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0CB1S6562

- Tucch, Magnetic Detachable 2-in-1 Wallet Case (fake leather), £30:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0CCNGM8J6

- Bizzib, Wallet Magnetic Closure Detachable (leather), £28:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0CB9Z4Z7Y

They each have their pros & cons, or just being over-priced for what they are (Venoult). Amazon has lots of 'me too' cheaper China stuff, obvs!

Last edited:

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Got a black Shieldon detachable Pro incoming. Will add some pics and views in couple of days.
Here they are. Didn't have my partner's phone on hand to put in it, but you can at least see the gist of it (FYI, the attached little tag in the pics is a leather sample they include).

Overall, it's an 'okay' cheap Chinese case. The inside holder is TPU/plastic with MagSafe rather than leather, while the outside is fairly decent leather, but without proper MagSafe, and closes on holder via edge magnets to stay closed. For the price (£35) it's decent enough, but personally rather spend double and get the nicer all-leather Decoded one. So there we are.

IMG_1373.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1379.jpg
    IMG_1379.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1378.jpg
    IMG_1378.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1376.jpg
    IMG_1376.jpg
    607.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1377.jpg
    IMG_1377.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1375.jpg
    IMG_1375.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1374.jpg
    IMG_1374.jpg
    522.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1373.jpg
    IMG_1373.jpg
    685.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1380.jpg
    IMG_1380.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 128

SkylarBlue

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2023
Well this morning (Fri.29.Sep.2023) it arrived, so here are some very quick pics, as promised:

View attachment 2284356 View attachment 2284357 View attachment 2284371 View attachment 2284362 View attachment 2284364 View attachment 2284367 View attachment 2284366 View attachment 2284365 View attachment 2284369 View attachment 2284359 View attachment 2284358 View attachment 2284360 View attachment 2284370

Really decent case actually, and at just the right price I think; £60 delivered (from seller on Amazon UK: Pro / Pro Max), which matches Apple's awful FineWoven ones I previously tried and returned!

I'd give it 9/10, as the only slight niggle is the clasp/strap on the side can't be adjusted so is always slightly loose if there are no cards inside when closed, but really nothing to worry about much – its tighter after trying with 3 cards inside. Although won't be using with cards, as they touch the screen (like most wallet cases), and may scratch it (though you could alternatively slip cards in the banknote section to avoid this, if needed).

Buttons all there, and decent speaker/port cut-outs all round. And very importantly, both case parts have MagSafe functionality built-in on their back, for wireless charging/accessories use, which is an absolute must have IMO!

BTW, those Shieldon's look decent too, but just a TPU inner case hence cheaper, and AFAICT the only major differences being it's a magnetic strapless front, rather then a magnetic strap on the Decoded, and can be stood horizontally for watching content. But I think my other half prefers the Decoded's dual-leather cases overall, so keeping.
Just came across this case yesterday and I am really interested in getting one.

Quick question is the magsafe of the folio\ wallet part strong? I am thinking of getting a magsafe grip ring and attaching it on that case. Something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SYNCWIRE-M...efix=magsafe+grip+ring,electronics,115&sr=1-4

Also can it handle drops well?

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Just came across this case yesterday and I am really interested in getting one.

Quick question is the magsafe of the folio\ wallet part strong? I am thinking of getting a magsafe grip ring and attaching it on that case. Something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SYNCWIRE-Magnetic-Double-sided-Compatible-Accessories-Black/dp/B0C6TM9PK1/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3DTT993UKHMU0&keywords=magsafe+grip+ring&qid=1700346153&s=electronics&sprefix=magsafe+grip+ring,electronics,115&sr=1-4

Also can it handle drops well?
Yes, both parts have decent magnetisation strength. Haven't dropped it, but both parts are quality material, so likely decent enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.