Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guitarguy316

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
There’s definitely something wrong with connections to 5ghz networks. Both of our phones are having an issue where WIFI shows full bars but there is no connection. If I switch over to my 2.4ghz network everything is fine in the same spot (albeit lower speeds). iOS 17.0.3 did not fix it.

Reactions: DeKa

i007

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Tri-State
There’s definitely something wrong with connections to 5ghz networks. Both of our phones are having an issue where WIFI shows full bars but there is no connection. If I switch over to my 2.4ghz network everything is fine in the same spot (albeit lower speeds). iOS 17.0.3 did not fix it.
I have the same problem. My prior phone (14 PM) worked without issue. My 15 PM will show connected with full bars but no data works until I turn WiFi off and on again. I run two ASUS routers as AP’s. All other devices work perfect so something is up.

Tygaib10

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2023
I changed it to 48 and a couple of others. None of them fixed the issue. Here's the SSID Setup under the 5GHz. They're broadcast separately and you choose at the top left which bands you want to change their settings.

View attachment 2279923
I too am using century link fiber. My apartment came pre wired and I can't get any 5ghz

Reactions: bigDeeOT

akwho

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2023
Agree same issue. Iphone 15 pro max is the only device in my house that has trouble connecting to wifi. Luckily cellular data is fine and I have unlimited plan but still annoying not to be able to be on home wifi.

Connection is spotty, & frequently fails. When it works it works great but incredibly inconsistent. Restarting the router usually works for a little bit but then it goes back to being spotty after a few minutes.

i007

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Tri-State
The phone is borderline unusable on WiFi. When I get to the house if I don’t manually turn on/off I won’t get notifications or anything. How does something so trivial get worse on a “the best iphone yet.” So frustrating.

Reactions: bigDeeOT

hly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2023
There has not been a fix as far as I know. There's an Apple Community thread that's grown with a lot of comments all repeating the same things, so it seem more an more people are raising concerns at least. The 9to5mac article was kind of junk, but it was the only mainstream article I found. Some found temporary solutions but I believe this is a software issue that's on Apple to fix, because it all points to either iOS 17 or the iPhone as the common cause.

guitarguy316

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
There has not been a fix as far as I know. There's an Apple Community thread that's grown with a lot of comments all repeating the same things, so it seem more an more people are raising concerns at least. The 9to5mac article was kind of junk, but it was the only mainstream article I found. Some found temporary solutions but I believe this is a software issue that's on Apple to fix, because it all points to either iOS 17 or the iPhone as the common cause.
The channel bandwidth and VPN are not the main problem, as I use neither of those and still have the WIFI issues with our iPhone 15 Pro phones. Something else is going on in the background.

akwho

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2023
I've found in places where 5g and 5g+ are available my iPhone 15 pro max gets confused and wifi is intermittently dropped/slow/spotty. If I'm traveling to a place where 5g isn't available then the iphone stays on wifi no problem and the connection is solid. This points to a software issue & conflict between prioritizing wifi and 5g or 5g+. I think & hope Apple should come out with a fix for this in their next software update. Hopefully this is on their radar. Because my cell provider is eating a lot more data usage then normal, you think the big carriers would be noticing this issue as well.

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
I don't think this is an iPhone 15 only issue. People have been complaining about wifi on iOS 17 before iPhone 15 was released: https://www.reddit.com/r/iOSBeta/comments/14rxm8m
I have been on the whole iOS 17 beta test from DB1 all the way to the stable release, and my iPhone 12 wifi has been acting up on my home wifi since the very beginning of it. Similar symptoms as described here and there, wifi showing full signal but just not working until you disconnect/connect again.

All other devices in my house work 100% fine (old iPad on iOS 15, M1 MacBook, Switch, PS5, Nvidia Shield, etc.) so this is definitely an iOS issue. It used to happen on a daily basis but since a few weeks it happens way less, like once a week at most. Not sure if the iOS updates helped, or if it was my small tweaks in my routeur settings.

hly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2023
I've just updated to iOS 17.1 and the issue is still not fixed for me. I still cannot connect to my 5ghz wifi from my main router. However I can connect to a 5ghz wifi if I use a range extender, which is what I've been doing since I got the phone on launch day.

• Sad
Reactions: akwho

hly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2023
I just downloaded 17.2 beta 1 to see if this issue is fixed. It is not fixed yet.

If you're able, I suggest everyone download 17.2 public beta when it's available and submit the issue on their Feedback app. I don't know if this goes to a different team than Apple Support but if it goes directly to the engineers, we may get a fix by the time it's released.

Reactions: Putte_Kindh

guitarguy316

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
I just downloaded 17.2 beta 1 to see if this issue is fixed. It is not fixed yet.

If you're able, I suggest everyone download 17.2 public beta when it's available and submit the issue on their Feedback app. I don't know if this goes to a different team than Apple Support but if it goes directly to the engineers, we may get a fix by the time it's released.
I bet they don’t even think this is a problem at this point. They have had over a month to fix it. Either that or they don’t know how to fix it which is even worse.

DeKa

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2002
Sydney Australia
I've found in places where 5g and 5g+ are available my iPhone 15 pro max gets confused and wifi is intermittently dropped/slow/spotty. If I'm traveling to a place where 5g isn't available then the iphone stays on wifi no problem and the connection is solid. This points to a software issue & conflict between prioritizing wifi and 5g or 5g+. I think & hope Apple should come out with a fix for this in their next software update. Hopefully this is on their radar. Because my cell provider is eating a lot more data usage then normal, you think the big carriers would be noticing this issue as well.

This isn’t an issue to do with 5G mobile coverage. It’s 5Ghz Wifi networks when they are configured in a specific way to allow for high throughput. Of course, iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max can theoretically utilise these high wifi data throughout speeds, except the phones can’t connect to 5Ghz wifi due to some unknown issue.

Here’s one of many “5G vs 5Ghz” articles I found on Google explaining the difference.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Got the iPhone 15 Pro on thursday and also had problems, that was with iOS 17.1, so i guess they didn't fix anything.

Had to disable the 160 Mhz channel bandwidth on my router for it to work. Now it seems fine.
Don't think i have any other device that could use the 160 Mhz, so i guess i'll just leave it off for now.

Last edited:

hly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2023
This isn’t an issue to do with 5G mobile coverage. It’s 5Ghz Wifi networks when they are configured in a specific way to allow for high throughput. Of course, iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max can theoretically utilise these high wifi data throughout speeds, except the phones can’t connect to 5Ghz wifi due to some unknown issue.

Here’s one of many “5G vs 5Ghz” articles I found on Google explaining the difference.

I tried so hard to put 5GHz WiFi and not just “5G” because I knew people would confused the two, especially if they’re not as tech-literate. One of the worst coincidence in wireless naming ever.

Anyway, my suggestion about downloading iOS 17.2 beta didn’t sit well with the Apple Community staff so they remove my post on the big thread related to this issue.

Reactions: DeKa

chrisf60647

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
I was laughing at this thread until I got a 15 PM and my speeds were slow. My 12 Pro was getting around 400mbps on my Wifi6 connection. My new 15PM is all over the place but about half. Looks like Apple is aware of it.

guitarguy316

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
I was laughing at this thread until I got a 15 PM and my speeds were slow. My 12 Pro was getting around 400mbps on my Wifi6 connection. My new 15PM is all over the place but about half. Looks like Apple is aware of it.
Where are you getting that they are aware of it? There's plenty of discussion here and on other forums but I have not seen Apple actually acknowledge any problems on their end when there clearly is.

hly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2023
Apple hasn’t officially acknowledged it but I think they’re aware. Personally I’ve spoken with their support who has taken my phone’s diagnostic log twice now. The second time was just yesterday.

I’m guess this issue is kind of hidden. Most average users probably leave their phone connected to the 2.4ghz wifi, which works but is slow. Others maybe have modems that combine both channels to one said and does smart switching without them knowing it, so they might not even know there’s a 5ghz option. Or maybe they’re one of the lucky ones without any issues with their router.

MaskedCarrot

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Northern VA
I’ve just done a test and turned off Smart Control and split my SSID to 2.4GHz and 5GHz

my 5GHz is running 20/40/80/160hz - and it seems to be running stable now

so there seems to be a conflict in the phones hardware on working with Smart Control SSID that also broadcast 160Hz
I always recommend seperating the 2.4 and 5 with different SSIDs. I find that it works better that way.

Also, I always manually choose which channel I am using in 2.4 and on 5. There are some good Apps on Android that will scan for you and tell you how many WiFis are in range and what freq they are using ,and if there is any overlap with yours.

So what I do it walk around my house with that scanning, and choose a channel with the least overlap.

hly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2023
I can't believe after 3 months and several software updates, Apple still hasn't address this issue or fixed it.

But I have a small update. After giving up for some time, I circled back to the various threads from Apple Community, Reddit, and here and someone suggested renaming the SSID of their 5ghz wifi. Miraculously, my iPhone 15 Pro Max was able to connect to that channel and have internet connection. However, it seems unstable. It has lost internet connection within a couple of minutes a few times. I would have to either forget the network and reconnect or put it in and out of airplane mode to get it to reconnect. I'll have to continue using to see if it'll keep doing that.

For reference, my SSID was the default of "CenturyLinkXXXX-5G" (where the XXXX is the name for each of the apartment in my building). I renamed it to "CenturyLinkXXXX-test" and it seemed to work. I made no other changes to the wifi's channel, mode, bandwidth, etc; only changed the name of the wifi.

Good luck and godspeed.

Edit - nevermind, while this method allows me to connect to the 5ghz wifi, it refuses to hold the internet connection. Still no solution.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.