Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
I’ve seen few YouTubers who use iPhone and are in the Apple ecosystem saying Samsung Galaxy S24 for example looks and feels more premium than iPhone 15PM. And that they are only sticking with iPhone because of overall experience with iOS and the ecosystem.

I haven’t seen neither phone in real life. I think iPhone looks most premium in pics and videos.

Am I biased? Those of you who have held both - do you think iPhone falls somehow short in terms of quality when compared to top-tier Android devices and specifically Samsung Galaxy S24?

whattodo11

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I saw the S24 ultra today in store. It’s super nice. I love Android especially now with AI features. Just too deep in the Apple ecosystem to switch. Once and if RCS comes i def would own one of those flagship phones.

Reactions: AeroSatan

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
IMG_0067.jpeg

Every once in a while I start lusting after Galaxies. The S24+ is one such Galaxy. It looks good, and the AI stuff is so cool. But I’m way too deep in the Apple ecosystem to dig myself out, so I’m sticking with my 15 Pro Max.

Dirty Mac

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2021
Not anywhere near Uranus.
As far as build and quality go, both are neck and neck. If your looking OS and IA I'd wait. While Apple is behind on IA, they are looking more at what Microsoft, Google and Meta are doing to incorporate that into macos and ios. sure they look at what Samsung is doing too but MS/Google are the big players. Right now, IA si to fluid to say what will be better so go for what turns you on.

Clamjuice65

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2023
View attachment 2344743

Every once in a while I start lusting after Galaxies. The S24+ is one such Galaxy. It looks good, and the AI stuff is so cool. But I’m way too deep in the Apple ecosystem to dig myself out, so I’m sticking with my 15 Pro Max.
You might have to consider digging yourself out the Apple ecosystem. Android has gotten much better and stable . There is life outside the apple bubble oh yes

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
I saw the S24 ultra today in store. It’s super nice. I love Android especially now with AI features. Just too deep in the Apple ecosystem to switch. Once and if RCS comes i def would own one of those flagship phones.

I had a look at an S24 (non ultra) yesterday, and I was blown away with how smooth the OS felt just navigating around. The “control centre” looks much more comprehensive. The Samsung skin actually feels like it’s adding to vanilla Android rather than just sitting on top. The device itself feels very very premium.

At this point I’d be willing to give it a go as it seems that in terms of the OS the experience is on par with iOS. My concern is still the apps, where previously I felt that there is a big gap in the overall design between same iOS and Android apps.

However as you say, it would require me to change my watch, headphones, lose integration with iPads, and make the ATVs around the house very slightly gimped, so it would require more than just curiosity to try it.

Reactions: MacLappy

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
I’ve seen few YouTubers who use iPhone and are in the Apple ecosystem saying Samsung Galaxy S24 for example looks and feels more premium than iPhone 15PM. And that they are only sticking with iPhone because of overall experience with iOS and the ecosystem.

I haven’t seen neither phone in real life. I think iPhone looks most premium in pics and videos.

Am I biased? Those of you who have held both - do you think iPhone falls somehow short in terms of quality when compared to top-tier Android devices and specifically Samsung Galaxy S24?
Let us assume the camera's better on an Android... how much gooder is it? 1%? 10%?

Is the improvement worth leaving the Apple ecosystem?

I've been persuaded by YouTubers with the 2015 Google Nexus 6P & 2017 Essential PH-1... and never again. Rather stick to 1 flagship iPhone & 1 bottom-end Android.

Reactions: Student of Life

whattodo11

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I had a look at an S24 (non ultra) yesterday, and I was blown away with how smooth the OS felt just navigating around. The “control centre” looks much more comprehensive. The Samsung skin actually feels like it’s adding to vanilla Android rather than just sitting on top. The device itself feels very very premium.

At this point I’d be willing to give it a go as it seems that in terms of the OS the experience is on par with iOS. My concern is still the apps, where previously I felt that there is a big gap in the overall design between same iOS and Android apps.

However as you say, it would require me to change my watch, headphones, lose integration with iPads, and make the ATVs around the house very slightly gimped, so it would require more than just curiosity to try it.
Totally agree. The Apple ecosystem is real and very well designed for that matter. I tried Bose ear buds vs AirPods Pro and the boys were way more comfy in my ear and sounded much better but had to go back because the AirPods integration is so stellar. Sigh

A1423

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2023
I ventured to the dark side about a decade ago. My adventure was 18 hours. I then had a 5s. The app permissions are what got me. I couldn’t just sign every app to give permission like it’s me and felt like I had more control over my data using an iPhone.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I doubt I’ll ever make that switch - too many Apple devices, and they work seamlessly together almost 100% of the time. I think I’m in for the long haul.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I would counter, that the Pixel 8 Pro is THE Android phone to get, stock Android is just so smooth and fluid, people call the Pixel, the Android iPhone. It's a minimal OS, no bloatware and duplicate like Samsung phones, and it's a simple and a pleasure to use. The camera for portrait and still shots is still #1. Get's updates first every month ( now for 7 years ).

Check this thread out on what real peoples opinion is of the S24U;
https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/1agc26x

Reactions: Sorinut

whattodo11

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I would counter, that the Pixel 8 Pro is THE Android phone to get, stock Android is just so smooth and fluid, people call the Pixel, the Android iPhone. It's a minimal OS, no bloatware and duplicate like Samsung phones, and it's a simple and a pleasure to use. The camera for portrait and still shots is still #1. Get's updates first every month ( now for 7 years ).

This is the way. I used google phones in the past and will again when RCS is out.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Sami13496

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2022
Oh I didn’t know about this RCS thing. Apple might lose some customers. Primarily those who have no reason sticking with iPhone other than iMessage. Am I correct?

aue123

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2019
Mid west USA
Oh I didn’t know about this RCS thing. Apple might lose some customers. Primarily those who have no reason sticking with iPhone other than iMessage. Am I correct?
I think that's the partial reason, I remember back in the ipod touch days, kids' parents didn't allow them to have a phone, and it was the only way for them to text (over wifi). over time, this blew up, and the kids of then grew up knowing you don't need a cell phone plan to text your friends. thus, the iPhone generation was born.

whattodo11

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I would tend to believe many people will venture out away from Apple once they can text normally with Android .

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I like the S 24 as well, but I don’t really care for the square corners. Also, I am a photographer, and the androids Google store does not have as many photo apps available as with the iPhone. The Apple iPhone definitely does a better job at video and creativity with photos and ProRAW. I’ve tried android in the past, but never did care for it much. I feel that I am more creative and can do more things with my iPhone. Currently using the 15 pro max. Although I would not mind playing with the galaxy S 24 ultra for a while to see what it can do for me, I would have to buy one to test it out, can’t really do that at the moment.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
If only Android/Samsung had anything like Advanced Data Protection. Until then? Not going to work for me. Just don't trust Samsung/Google. And AI is only making it worse in that regard. :) There is a reason Siri is so mid....LOL.

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
I loved my S23+, I don't love the camera. The pixels win in terms of os's IMHO and camera's, but the hardware is lacking. Which is my I'm back on iPhone. If only Samsung didn't suck so much at moving or furry objects.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015

I would pick a Pixel over a Samsung any day. My wife has a Pixel 8 and the quality is pretty great; she's always (and only used) Pixel phones. It's comfortable and the OS is nice enough, I'm just not used to Android so I'm staying on the iPhone for now. She tried a 7a for a week and decided it was too big, so returned it and bought an 8.

Saw a s24 Ultra today and just like I thought from the pictures, it's ugly...very very ugly. I loathe how square it is....just yuck. Too big, too...but I think the Max model iPhones are too big as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: robvalentine

DAMAC3

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
Noblesville, IN
I would echo the Pixel over Samsung opinion. Its all about preference, but I much prefer the cleaner version of Android. Both have nice hardware IMO. I recently left iPhone to try Android again. My 15 Pro Max was having all kinds of issues like not connecting to CarPlay in my Jeep. There are things I really like about Android. I tried several of the latest phones from Google, Samsung (not the S24), and the newest Motorola Razr (also pretty clean Android). In the end there were things I just prefer with iOS. I also have a wife and 4 kids with a house full of Apple products, so its hard to leave the ecosystem (although not as hard as it used to be). I went back to a 15 Pro Max. Strangely enough, the new 15PM I have isn't having any of the issues I was dealing with before. I don't know if it was software patches or if my previous 15PM was a lemon.

I know Apple hasn't had any ground-breaking changes the last few years to the iPhone, but I also don't think Samsung is really ahead. All these things they pile into their phones don't really do much for me. I don't find them that useful. So the threads asking what Apple is doing to keep up doesn't really make sense to me. The phone works well. The screen is great. The camera is great. The battery life is great. You can achieve the same thing with the latest phones from Google, Samsung, etc. It comes down to preference like it has since Android caught up a few years ago.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

AeroSatan

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2011
NYC
I would pick a Pixel over a Samsung any day. My wife has a Pixel 8 and the quality is pretty great; she's always (and only used) Pixel phones. It's comfortable and the OS is nice enough, I'm just not used to Android so I'm staying on the iPhone for now. She tried a 7a for a week and decided it was too big, so returned it and bought an 8.

Saw a s24 Ultra today and just like I thought from the pictures, it's ugly...very very ugly. I loathe how square it is....just yuck. Too big, too...but I think the Max model iPhones are too big as well.
I understand not preferring Android but imagine considering a beautifully crafted titanium framed rectangle slab with like a world class screen to body ratio, tightest tolerances and an anti reflective screen that’s also highly scratch resistant Ugly! I have both the new IPhone 15 Pro Max and the S24U and if the Uktra ran iOS ya’ll Samsung haters would pee your pants.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

The S24 Ultra is a little heavier and larger than the 15 Pro Max hence I think some believe it feels more premium.
To me both feel equally good.

At the end of the day no matter how premium these devices feel, I put them in a case, lol.

I love the lighter feel of 15 Pro Max.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.