Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CamilleBeauchard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2021
Yikes...I know...an upgrade is long overdue but I'm not someone that changes their phone every 2 years for the sake of it and I'm pretty good at taking care of my stuff! I even still have my iPad Pro (A1673) from 2016...no cracks, no scratches, works perfect! 😂

Just wanted some advice as my phone has started glitching and the screen seems less responsive. I initially wanted the iPhone 14 Pro Max, but now the iPhone 15 Pro Max is out, I wanted to see everyone's opinion on what would be best. Of course, any of those two would be a major upgrade from my crusty iPhone 8 Plus!

I've watched quite a few comparison videos on YouTube, and even double-checked the spec side-by-side on Apple's website and honestly couldn't see much difference except the chip model...even at that, most things tend to be the same (correct me if I'm wrong).

For reference, I work in Marketing and study time so I'd have quite a lot of apps, docs, photos, videos etc stored on my phone to manage everything. I also want to get into vlogging soon and would want to have a good camera (before I invest in a proper vlogging camera).

Price isn't an issue for me, I'd be looking to get a 512 GB model. I've currently used up 194 GB out of 256 GB on my iPhone 8 Plus (will likely clear out and sort files before transferring) 🥲

It might also seem small, but I was hoping the iPhone 15 Pro Max would have come out with extra colours because I did like the iPhone 14 Pro Max in purple, but it's okay!

Greatly appreciate your help in advance! Thank you 😄

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I upgraded my nearly 6yr old X to the 15PM and couldn't be happier. I wasn't plagued by any of the bugs people have been dealing with and the phone was a a very noticeable upgrade so I have no regrets. Not sure if I would wait another 6yrs before upgrading again but the 15PM feels like it could easily make it if I decide to hang on to it for that long

Reactions: CamilleBeauchard

Cruncher

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2010
If you use your phone for that long and the money is not a problem I would definitely go for the 15 Pro Max. Also because of the future proof USB-C and 8GB of RAM instead of 6 from the iPhone 14 PM. It will not be an issue right now but for future iOS Updates it could help.

If you liked the purple have a look at the Titanium blue in real life. It is gorgeous imo.

CamilleBeauchard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2021
I upgraded my nearly 6yr old X to the 15PM and couldn't be happier. I wasn't plagued by any of the bugs people have been dealing with and the phone was a a very noticeable upgrade so I have no regrets. Not sure if I would wait another 6yrs before upgrading again but the 15PM feels like it could easily make it if I decide to hang on to it for that long
Thanks for your insight. I did see issues with overheating but I think there was an update to fix that so hopefully there'll be no issues! :)

CamilleBeauchard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2021
If you use your phone for that long and the money is not a problem I would definitely go for the 15 Pro Max. Also because of the future proof USB-C and 8GB of RAM instead of 6 from the iPhone 14 PM. It will not be an issue right now but for future iOS Updates it could help.

If you liked the purple have a look at the Titanium blue in real life. It is gorgeous imo.
Thank you :) That's really helpful, and I'll check out the blue...if anything I'll likely cover the phone with a case so it should be fine :D

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Thanks for your insight. I did see issues with overheating but I think there was an update to fix that so hopefully there'll be no issues! :)
Overheating or getting hot was an iOS17 issue. There were complaints of overheating from iPhone owners using 11PM, 12PM, 13PM and 14PM also. My 15PM never got hot since new so not everyone was effected by that bug and as you said Apple released an update to address it. 14PM is a great phone too so you can't go wrong no matter what you choose

Reactions: CamilleBeauchard

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
I have been a yearly upgrader for I don’t know how long so I just gave up my iPhone 14 PM for the 15 PM I love the titanium blue the only time my phone gets a little hot when it’s in the California sun and it’s charging at the same time but it cools down pretty quickly I agree I would go with the latest if you’re someone that holds off on upgrading because everything is going to switch to USB-C and if you go for years with lightning, you will notice the accessories are going to become less and less available as they all switch to a generic USB-c and we all know when they switched from 30 pin to lightning. The adapters were horrible.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
It might also seem small, but I was hoping the iPhone 15 Pro Max would have come out with extra colours because I did like the iPhone 14 Pro Max in purple, but it's okay!

Greatly appreciate your help in advance! Thank you 😄

I had (and still use) an 8 Plus. I'd still be using mine if Apple hadn't dropped support for iOS 17 on it.

I'd go for the 15 Plus (or 14 Plus) from the 8. Basically same weight. A bit thicker, sadly. Best battery life.

The Max phones are too heavy, even the 15 Pro Max. The 14 Pro Max is just a design disaster: sharp edges, too heavy, the only phone I've ever used that actually hurt my hands. I'd steer far clear of that. The 5x camera on the 15 Pro Max is of limited use, to me. If weight is important, the 15 Plus is great. So is the 14 Plus.

You're right about the colors: This is the worst year for colors in the lineup that I can remember. Best to go to a store and see which color you can live with.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Surfsalot

BuggyGT

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
Might as well go for the 15PM. Compared to the 14PM it is feels great, is lighter and even though it is only slightly slimmer on the specs page it was noticeable for me when I first picked it up.

faraine

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2018
One thing that most people don't consider is ergonomics, de 15PM is lighter then the 14PM and round edges are more comfortable to hold the phone if you don't use a case.
My wife changed from a 13PM to a 15PM mainly because of the weight of the 13PM.
Go to store and see the difference between the two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.