Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martens

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2019
My iPhone consistently has trouble with WiFi in my bedroom: signal strength is at max, but it has very low throughput, to the point where to do anything I often have to turn off WiFi and use cellular instead. It's the only device that has this problem. If I walk out into the hall, it starts working with the expected high throughput.

I tried moving the WAP a little so it was further from the wall and door frames but it didn't really help. It's only about 12 feet away from where I am in the bedroom, but it has to go through 2 exterior walls (conventional frame house).

I recently made a change to use same SSID for both 2.4 and 5 bands. That really helped with some HomePod issues I was having and I'm not going to revert that. With separate SSIDs, I used to be able to change the iPhone from one to the other band to seemingly alleviate lack of WiFi throughput. But now it just seems flustered.

I do have what's probably a better WAP lying around that I could hook up, and turn off the WAP on the (ISP managed) equipment, but so far I haven't gotten around to trying it.

I am just curious if anyone here has run into this, and if there are any apps that could diagnose the problem. I am not sure if reporting it to Apple is worth the effort (I used to work at Apple and ran internal builds and could file bugs with relevant logs, but that's no longer possible). It does seem like a software issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.