Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Propine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2020
Just got my iPP15 and I see that there are slim lighter marks around buttons, right from the box. Is it normal?

Attachments

• IMG_1358.jpeg
    IMG_1358.jpeg
    299.7 KB · Views: 1,087
  • IMG_1357.jpeg
    IMG_1357.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 464

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I would say it's probably normal, given that you've been handling the phone with your bare hands. That "dirt" should just wipe off. If the dirt wasn't there, the phone would still get dirty after a few days of normal use.

If it's not dirt, but an actual mark on the metal, then it's up to you whether you want to try to get a replacement. I'm sure if you ask for one, Apple will give it to you.

Reactions: Populus

Propine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2020
I would say it's probably normal, given that you've been handling the phone with your bare hands. That "dirt" should just wipe off. If the dirt wasn't there, the phone would still get dirty after a few days of normal use.

If it's not dirt, but an actual mark on the metal, then it's up to you whether you want to try to get a replacement. I'm sure if you ask for one, Apple will give it to you.
I had the phone for like 30 seconds and only pushed the power button to turn it on, didn’t even touch the volume buttons.

Shall tell them why I return it, so they will register it like faulty item or shall I just bring it back without reasons?

Propine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2020
Sure, if they ask. Why not? But instead of returning it for a refund, why don't you just ask for a replacement?
I would definitely try, but will they have a replacement device in stock? I was checking Apple Store daily for a week to catch this device

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Good point. If they don't have a replacement in stock and you'd have to wait, a straight return is the right move. Often, Apple will have a supply of dedicated replacement devices. You might also decide to live with the current phone as is. Does it not wipe clean at all?

Propine

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2020
Good point. If they don't have a replacement in stock and you'd have to wait, a straight return is the right move. Often, Apple will have a supply of dedicated replacement devices. You might also decide to live with the current phone as is. Does it not wipe clean at all?
I also have an online order that is supposed to be delivered on the 25th of October anyways, it was my plan B. I didn’t dare to wipe it with any liquids, because I don’t know how those marks will behave in contact

Reactions: chabig

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
Just got my iPP15 and I see that there are slim lighter marks around buttons, right from the box. Is it normal?
Mine has them too, can't seem to wipe them off so I think it's not dirt. There may be a different coating around the buttons than on the rest of the Ti frame, but I'll need to check other phones to be sure. Mine is also a 15 Pro Natural Ti.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I'm not going to upgrade this year, but if I did I'd go for the natural titanium. I really don't think I'd be bothered by marks like that. I kind of expect metal to look that way. And I'm sure the marks on every phone are different, which gives each phone a unique character.

applepotato666

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2016
I wouldn't return it if it doesn't have any issues and if this wipes off and overall it has no signs of being used (maybe check the cycle count?) These are made by people and get handled so if all else is fine, I can wipe it down myself and wouldn't care much if the factory didn't. Sure it's not a nice presentation though

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
White titanium here and it's a fingerprint repellant. Huge step up from stainless steel.

Ericdjensen

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield,VA
I had the phone for like 30 seconds and only pushed the power button to turn it on, didn’t even touch the volume buttons.

Shall tell them why I return it, so they will register it like faulty item or shall I just bring it back without reasons?
Yep, definitely not normal. I used mine caseless for a month and it never looked like that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.