Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
With the transition to 3nm we kept hearing about how Apple could drastically increase performance, battery life, or a little bit of both…but it looks like the iPhone 15 Pro has almost no performance gains at all over the iPhone 14 Pro…

For starters the 15 Pro and 14 Pro have the same published battery life and use nearly the same size battery. Ok, so that means we should get a huge boost in performance right? Well the GPU on the 15 Pro is 20% faster…but it also has 20% more GPU cores, so there is literally no gains from moving to 3nm in terms of GPU performance. As for the CPU, we are getting a minor 10% bump…but that is about the same 10% bump we have been getting every year even when we don’t see a node reduction. So a 10% increase is hardly impressive.

So what am I missing here. As far as I can tell 3nm got us absolutely nothing?

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
And this is why I’m gonna keep my iPhone 12 Pro for another year. I see nothing absolutely compelling for an upgrade. You may wish to do the same.

1. Action button is OK but not absolutely needed.
2. Curved edges for better comfort is a joke for me. I use a case.
3. My Camera does what I need.
4. CPU upgrade is nice but my iPhone is fast enough at this time.
5. Battery life on the new phone is not overwhelming better so might as well wait another year, see what happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: Donoban

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
Sounds like the 15 isn’t for you.

I am not worried about buying an iPhone, I am trying to understand what this apparent lack of improvement means.

Was 3nm overhyped? Was TSMC’s predicted improvements just way off? Is Apple’s loss of talent impacting their ability to design chips?

In short - I just don’t understand how the performance of the iPhone 15 Pro can be this bad when we are seeing a generational node reduction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.