Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ekucukoglu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2022
I’ve got my express replacement today. Its model number starts with “M”, not an “N” which is widely common and stands for a refurbished / remanufactured device.

This is not a retail product but “M” model number means it is brand new. So what does it mean? And I think it is used before because battery was first used in September with one charging cycle.

I think this is a returned product but is it normal for Apple to ship it with this model number? Also, on the box, it says that “It is assembled in China”.

So… What the heck?

Note: I don’t care if this is a new, replacement or returned device because it looks like brand new. I just wonder, what’s going on here?

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
My guess is also that it's an open box return that was put into the replacement cycle. The phone is newer so they probably don't have many "N" models yet - or at least not as many as they will a year from now.

Reactions: ekucukoglu

ekucukoglu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2022
My guess is also that it's an open box return that was put into the replacement cycle. The phone is newer so they probably don't have many "N" models yet - or at least not as many as they will a year from now.

This is one of the most logical explanation. Or this is a device which is produced with the retail units and have another detailed quality check. I am not sure.

300TakeoutCoffeesLater

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2023
I've been seeing some weirdness with my serial number too. Just purchased a 15 Pro for me and the missus from the Apple Store a couple of days ago. My 10-digit serial number starts with MK... while hers starts with F5... Doesn't that mean that hers is a refurbished model? It's not the worst thing in the world but it's not great.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I've been seeing some weirdness with my serial number too. Just purchased a 15 Pro for me and the missus from the Apple Store a couple of days ago. My 10-digit serial number starts with MK... while hers starts with F5... Doesn't that mean that hers is a refurbished model? It's not the worst thing in the world but it's not great.

That's the official serial number. The OP is actually referring to the part number.

Edit: Actually they're both next to "model number" in the phone's settings. If you tap it, it switches back and forth between the model number and part number.

ekucukoglu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2022

Model number shows if the phone is new/refurb/remanufactured etc., not the serial number.

300TakeoutCoffeesLater

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2023
I'm starting 2024 feeling incredibly dense but my model number starts with A?

(Photo taken from the web)

EDIT: Nevermind I just saw it. The model number is MTV63QN/A in that pic, and model number, not serial number, is indeed what tells us if a model is new/refurbed/replaced etc. Apologies for all this. Hope you'll have a good 2024!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 12.16.03.jpeg
    Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 12.16.03.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 72

ekucukoglu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2022
Go to Settings > General > About > Model Number

You can see your phone's model number there.

I'm starting 2024 feeling incredibly dense but my model number starts with A?

(Photo taken from the web)

EDIT: Nevermind I just saw it. The model number is MTV63QN/A in that pic, and model number, not serial number, is indeed what tells us if a model is new/refurbed/replaced etc. Apologies for all this. Hope you'll have a good 2024!

Attachments

• IMG_0821.jpeg
    IMG_0821.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 59

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021
Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.