Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ted_Appleseed

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Chicago, IL
TL;DR: The 15 Pro screen protector is smaller, and it's almost the same size as the display area, so it requires more effort and luck for preciseness to align with the display area. Mine is slightly misaligned, and it affects the viewing experience. Trying to return it and am considering getting one from the Apple Store or just using it without the protector. Asking for opinions.

Since the iPhone 15 Pro series has a slight curve on the edge, it seems that the screen protector I got is smaller than the one I had for the iPhone 13/14 Pro series. I applied the protector by myself, but while I tried my best, it seems that I still didn't locate it 100% well, and the top part of the protector seems right on the edge of the display area, which affects the viewing experience.

I got a Zagg "Glass Elite Protect" tempered glass screen protector this time. The installation kit has a good design that helps you to align, but even though I had a "take 2" that caused some dust to get stuck inside that I can't remove... but still, I wasn't able to get it perfectly aligned. :(

Now, I'm hoping Best Buy can accept a return. This is as hard as applying the screen protector accurately for iPhone 11 or previous series that also has a curved screen edge. I remember applying the screen protector for my iPhone 13 that is nearly 1mm off-aligned, but since it's larger than the screen, it does not affect the viewing experience, so I left it like that. But for the 15, it's easier to make mistakes.

So, if you're getting a screen protector for 15 Pro, please take note of my experience as a reminder. If I can get a refund for this one, I may just go to the Apple Store to let them help me with their installation kit (but even though I can't guarantee they can do it perfectly anyway, I remember I got the same issue for my iPhone X even it's installed by them). Or I may just consider not using a protector at all.

Do you have the same issue or experience? What's your thought on screen protectors for the iPhone 15 Pro series?

Attached are the images for your reference. (the one with the blue case is 15 Pro; the other two are 13 Pro and 14 Pro)

Attachments

• tempImage7rW4h7.png
    tempImage7rW4h7.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 445
  • tempImageTA1Bmk.png
    tempImageTA1Bmk.png
    4 MB · Views: 311
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max screen protector.jpg
    iPhone 13 Pro Max screen protector.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Torras seems to be the pick for this year. In terms of coverage and installation.

nxt3

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2023
Torras seems to be the pick for this year. In terms of coverage and installation.
Torras blocks a tiny portion of the screen.

I have a WSKEN installed and it does not cover any part of the screen when compared to the Torras.

Ted_Appleseed

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Chicago, IL
Torras blocks a tiny portion of the screen.

I have a WSKEN installed and it does not cover any part of the screen when compared to the Torras.
Does the one you use have anti-glare features? The Zagg I had did not feature anti-glare and had strong reflections.

Ted_Appleseed

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Chicago, IL
No it doesn’t. I’m not a fan of protectors that affect the screen like that.
Same - not a fan. The Zagg one I got (Glass Elite Protect 5x stronger version) is not anti-glare, which downgrades the viewing experience regarding the reflections - using the Apple metaphor, it's like downgrading from the anti-reflective iPad Pro screen to the base-model iPad. They do have another anti-glare model that was not available at the Best Buy I went to. Otherwise, I may try that one first.

Since yours also doesn't have anti-glare, how do you feel about it in daily use?

Ted_Appleseed

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2016
Chicago, IL
Thanks for your replies! ^

I have some updates:
  1. Best Buy accepts returns like this with full refunds. I returned mine.
  2. While on my way to Best Buy, I brought my phone into the wild (outside my apartment) for the first time. And the area between the case and the screen protector starts accumulating dust. This is somehow familiar (looks like what I had for iPhone 11 or previous) but definitely visibly more obvious than what I can see while I'm using 13 Pro/14 Pro due to the larger uncovered area. Definitely persuaded me to return it even more.
At this moment, I'm leaving it naked. This Zagg model I got has another issue - it reflects so much and downgrades the viewing experience. Maybe I will get an anti-glare one - I had the Otterbox Anti-Glare last year, but this year Apple does not sell this model, so I would have to get one from somewhere else. But the size issue that causes dirt collection became another concern, so I may just not get one at all.

nxt3

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2023
Same - not a fan. The Zagg one I got (Glass Elite Protect 5x stronger version) is not anti-glare, which downgrades the viewing experience regarding the reflections - using the Apple metaphor, it's like downgrading from the anti-reflective iPad Pro screen to the base-model iPad. They do have another anti-glare model that was not available at the Best Buy I went to. Otherwise, I may try that one first.

Since yours also doesn't have anti-glare, how do you feel about it in daily use?
It’s been great, nothing really remarkable. Surface is pleasant to swipe on, seems to resist fingerprints enough, and has a “tab” that protects the speaker opening—a strange feature that doesn’t impact sound quality in any way.

My only gripe is that since I run my phone caseless, you can occasionally feel the edges of the protector when swiping across the display. If you had it in a case, I doubt you’d ever experience that.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I’ve installed 2 Torras diamond shield on my 15pro and both were prefect. They have the easiest installation method that I’ve seen. No issues with screen being blocked on mine.

MackDaddy1962

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2023
Ohio, USA
I know some say the "black ring" on the Ultraglass is an issue. i really don't have a problem with it. I installed them on fresh out the box 15 PM's for both myself and my wife's phone. Flawless install, no dust bunnies or alignment issues. We use cases, I'm running a Keyway, she's running an ESR clear TPU No problems at all, I've never seen the slightest hint of any "lifting" or the screen protectors coming loose. And I've case swapped quite a bit, including the previously mentioned ESR. I really didn't care for it (she loves hers,) and they're a STIFF son of a gun to remove. If you're going to have an issue with a screen protector coming off, this case will certainly do it when removing from the phone if they're not a good design. Just my .02

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.