Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpaceGrayAlways

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Myself and my girlfriend have been running the developer beta of iOS 17 successfully for a number of months. We both got new iPhone 15 Pro Max's and set up the new devices with iOS 17.0.2 (Non-Beta).

The Home app was fully set up and successfully sheared between both of our iOS 17 devices.

When we upgraded to the iPhone 15 Pro Max - The Home App worked on my device, it did not load on hers.

When I attempt to add her back to the home, it fails to add her. This persists through restarts, force quits of the home app, and disabling and re-enabling Home in iCloud.

Anyone else experiencing this issue or have any ideas of how to get her reconnected?

Thanks!

Macusercom

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2012
Vienna, Austria
My wife just bought the iPhone 15 Pro and is running iOS 17.0.2. She restored from a backup but HomeKit is not working and invitations fail. We tried everything even setting up a new home. I assume it is an iOS bug

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Oh no not again. This was a big issue with the original release of the new HomeKit architecture. HomeKit was perfectly fine before they ruined it with this crappy architecture.

SpaceGrayAlways

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
A quick update... I was able to get in touch with Apple Support today... There was no solution identified by a senior advisor for this issue. It is being escalated.

If other folks are having the issue, (@Macusercom) I'd encourage you to place a call as well and report the issue. The more data they can receive the more likely this will be resolved in upcoming updates.

Macusercom

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2012
Vienna, Austria
A quick update... I was able to get in touch with Apple Support today... There was no solution identified by a senior advisor for this issue. It is being escalated.

If other folks are having the issue, (@Macusercom) I'd encourage you to place a call as well and report the issue. The more data they can receive the more likely this will be resolved in upcoming updates.
Thanks for the heads up! I even tried installing a HomeKit reset profile with no success. The fact that it works everywhere except the iPhone 15 Pro seems to narrow it down to the device itself

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

SpaceGrayAlways

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
iOS 17.0.3 has not resolved this for me. There’s also nothing further from Apple’s end in terms of resolution beyond praying for an update that resolves it…

Reactions: Macusercom

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
@SpaceGrayAlways this assumes you are the HomeKit Home Owner...

Did you do the upgrade to new architecture? If yes, I assume you have a HK Hub?

If you're still running on the old HomeKit architecture, I wonder if you can request your SO delete their default home (should be empty) on their device and then try re-inviting? Maybe her default home is pre-set to new architecture and I know you can't mix-and-match. With no new architecture home on the device, maybe they can add an old one back in.

Just some things to try. Frustrating situation for sure.

Macusercom

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2012
Vienna, Austria
@SpaceGrayAlways this assumes you are the HomeKit Home Owner...

Did you do the upgrade to new architecture? If yes, I assume you have a HK Hub?

If you're still running on the old HomeKit architecture, I wonder if you can request your SO delete their default home (should be empty) on their device and then try re-inviting? Maybe her default home is pre-set to new architecture and I know you can't mix-and-match. With no new architecture home on the device, maybe they can add an old one back in.

Just some things to try. Frustrating situation for sure.
We tried deleting her standard home but it still doesn't work. I have updated to the new architecture back when the update was temporarily pulled. But I don't have a way to downgrade or upgrade. Can I check whether I'm on the new architecture?

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
We tried deleting her standard home but it still doesn't work. I have updated to the new architecture back when the update was temporarily pulled. But I don't have a way to downgrade or upgrade. Can I check whether I'm on the new architecture?
Sounds like you're on the new - pretty sure you'd see a prompt at the top of Home Settings - Software Update if not (I think it says "Home Upgrade Available")I

If you don't see that, you're on new architecture. If your SO creates a standard home on her device with nothing in it, does she see a prompt for "Home Upgrade Available" in that area?

Macusercom

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2012
Vienna, Austria
Sounds like you're on the new - pretty sure you'd see a prompt at the top of Home Settings - Software Update if not (I think it says "Home Upgrade Available")I

If you don't see that, you're on new architecture. If your SO creates a standard home on her device with nothing in it, does she see a prompt for "Home Upgrade Available" in that area?
We both seem to be on the new architecture. I have added a HomePod to her default home and could invite myself. No way the other round though (same issue still).

I have now reset everything and started from scratch: I can invite her now successfully and everything is working just fine. So the only solution for me was to erase everything and start from scratch.

SpaceGrayAlways

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
So for us, both of us are on the new architecture. We also noted that a device that was running last year's software (macOS) was actually able to view the home. However, once updated to macOS Sonoma, it is no longer accessible.

The catch with the reset for me, is if I create a new dummy home, I actually don't see the invitation button to be able to invite anyone... So I worry that if I wipe out my home and start from scratch I will be in an even worse condition than where I am now.

This is *also* the case if I try to create a new home from her device. It shows no invitation button.

kgreentree

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2023
I had this exact same issue but managed to get it working! Here’s what I did, hope it helps someone:

1. Removed my wife from the home on my phone. At first I was getting an error doing that, but rebooting the Apple TV serving as the hub took care of that.
2. Invited her back to the home, but accepted on her old iPhone.
3. Once accepted on her old iPhone, I also deleted her default home so she only had our shared one.
4. Opened the Home app on the new iPhone 15 pro max and everything was there.

I had tried deleting/re-inviting and accepting the invite on the new phone and it did not work. Using the old one seemed to do the trick. If I didn’t still have her old one available and signed in I suspect accepting on her iPad may have worked but can’t say for certain.

Frustrating to have to go through this much trouble but so glad to have it resolved!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.