Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frankapple98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2023
I got a 15 pro 2 weeks ago and am extremely disappointed by the battery life of it, it's generally not much better than my 11 with 70% battery capacity - it's made it so I'm struggling to enjoy the features of the phone so I think I'm going to return for another model. Just wondering if the regular 15 has better battery than the pro does?

Could anyone share their daily battery life with me?

I know the plus and pro max has the best but I just think they're a bit to big for me, but if thats my only way of getting good battery I might have to reconsider.

Also has anyone else also made this swap?

Reactions: sammjordan

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Have you got Always on Display ON as this consumes a fair amount of battery life. If you turn it off, then i promise you will notice a significant improvement in battery life. Basically a 15 Pro with AOD off, has about the same battery life as the regular 15.

Reactions: digitalcuriosity

frankapple98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2023
Have you got Always on Display ON as this consumes a fair amount of battery life. If you turn it off, then i promise you will notice a significant improvement in battery life. Basically a 15 Pro with AOD off, has about the same battery life as the regular 15.
I have AOD off the whole time having the phone, battery is still dropping fast

• Wow
Reactions: snipr125

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
VRR and the beefier processor might be to blame. The Max has the larger battery to offset. On paper they have the same battery life however if you can live without VRR, USB3 and an extra x1 zoom then I'd take your 15 Pro back and just get the regular 15.

The extra $£200 isn't worth it in my book. iOS has good enough animations to offset any advantages 90hz gives you and the bigger sensor this year allows the 15 to take quality 2x photos. You say you have AOD off so not having this isn't a loss either.

Honestly I'm amazed anyone would buy the regular 15 Pro this year. It just doesn't have enough to offset the extra expense over the regular 15 which is great value for money.

Reactions: frankapple98

frankapple98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2023
VRR and the beefier processor might be to blame. The Max has the larger battery to offset. On paper they have the same battery life however if you can live without VRR, USB3 and an extra x1 zoom then I'd take your 15 Pro back and just get the regular 15.

The extra $£200 isn't worth it in my book. iOS has good enough animations to offset any advantages 90hz gives you and the bigger sensor this year allows the 15 to take quality 2x photos. You say you have AOD off so not having this isn't a loss either.

Honestly I'm amazed anyone would buy the regular 15 Pro this year. It just doesn't have enough to offset the extra expense over the regular 15 which is great value for money.
Yeah I regret getting this one and spending the extra on it, I'm thinking if I have to deal with this battery life I might as well get £200 back and then think about the pro again in the future if they improve the battery on it. The plus/max is also tempting me for battery but I'm worried they'll be too big and heavy for easy use.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Yeah I regret getting this one and spending the extra on it, I'm thinking if I have to deal with this battery life I might as well get £200 back and then think about the pro again in the future if they improve the battery on it. The plus/max is also tempting me for battery but I'm worried they'll be too big and heavy for easy use.
I had the 14 Max and at 240g it was too big and heavy for me. I took it back and exachanged it for a Pixel 8 Pro. The 15+ looks to be 40g less than the 14 Max which is a big difference. If you can get to an Apple retailer ask the staff to put a case on one for you to see what you think.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I've had this same dilemma. I like promotion a lot; it's something I notice (I know others don't). If not for that, I'd stick with the regular 15 without hesitation.

Between my own experience (I have both, trying to make a final decision) and numerous videos and articles I've read through, it seems at best they're equivalent in battery life, and at worst the standard 15 seems to average 30 min to an hour longer, depending on your usage. Maybe that'll improve as they tweak the software with that new power-hungry chip. But I don't like making those decisions based off of "hope". :)

Edit: That said, I'm around chargers a lot, and rarely have issues getting close to running out. So it still might be worth it to me to have promotion and a little extra optical zoom.

Last edited:
Reactions: kristof461

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
I have been getting good to excellent battery life on my regular 15. You guys can check it out for yourselves below. I always charge my phone till 11:50pm/midnight and leave it unplugged until 10pm the following day.

Edit: My usage for that highlighted day isn’t low as well. Hitting media apps like YouTube and Podcast, on and off screen. I would say, have confidence in the 15/15 Plus battery lives.

a8a0df7cb8efd7dfde050328b93a784d.png

7f2d3aa1560151dc717d6af276ac4523.png

Last edited:

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I have been getting good to excellent battery life on my regular 15. You guys can check it out for yourselves below. I always charge my phone till 11:50pm/midnight and leave it unplugged until 10pm the following day.
Out of curiosity, do you get 5G where you are? I noticed "4G" in your photo. If you don't get 5G very often, that can definitely help, too.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Out of curiosity, do you get 5G where you are? I noticed "4G" in your photo. If you don't get 5G very often, that can definitely help, too.

I do. But opted not to use 5G as the coverage isn’t that good where I am. I value consistency in mobile data coverage and the 4G is fast enough for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: jntdroid

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
OP, do you care about a 3x telephoto lens, 2GB of additional RAM, a variable 120Hz screen, titanium frame/color, a faster USB-C port, Li-DAR for night shots, the A17 Pro for improved graphics or a programmable button? If these don’t matter, then I think the 15 is a good choice for you. Should notice a slight bump in battery life.

I started out with the 15PM and downsized to the 15P after a bad renewed experience with the 14P. Before downsizing I gave the 15+ a spin because outside of USB-C and the 5X lens, nothing really moved me and the difference between the 14P and 15P are minimal, imo. The battery life felt similar to the PM, if not slightly better due to lack of AOD and 120.

I got used to the 60Hz again, but I simply prefer the bump in fluidity that 120 can bring. I also enjoy having an AOD and USB-C port. Couple those with size and the 15P called my name.

Battery life has been fine for me. Usually gets me through the day with 15-30% left. Looking forward to next year. If the Pro bumps to 6.3” it’ll be Goldilocks for me. 6.2-6.4” screens are my preferred range.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
I got a 15 pro 2 weeks ago and am extremely disappointed by the battery life of it, it's generally not much better than my 11 with 70% battery capacity - it's made it so I'm struggling to enjoy the features of the phone so I think I'm going to return for another model. Just wondering if the regular 15 has better battery than the pro does?

Could anyone share their daily battery life with me?

I know the plus and pro max has the best but I just think they're a bit to big for me, but if thats my only way of getting good battery I might have to reconsider.

Also has anyone else also made this swap?

I initially opted for the 15 Pro but I returned it,mainly due to the design elements of the phone, and went with the 15 instead. Like you, battery life is high up there in my priority list when considering a new iPhone purchase. I’ve been spoilt by the amazing battery life of the 11 PM and 13 PM in previous years so the bar is high.

However the 15 surprised me in a lot of ways. It never went flat for me in a day; the closest it got was 2% and it was 2am - I was in overseas using Google Maps and Grab apps for navigation on top of the usual YouTube videos while eating and drinking and also, hotspot to use my work phone. All this while maintaining my charging habit of unplugging at 12am.

For its size, the 15 somewhat exceeded my expectations although I know that it’s not as good as the 13 PM that I used to own. But of course, it’s always good to have some headroom for battery life especially when your day-to-day usage can be unpredictable - and in such cases, the 15 Plus is your safest bet.

In all honesty, the 15 is the first iPhone since the iPhone 5 that actually like owning. And I’ve owned every generation apart from the 5S, 6S and X.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
Great thread. Think I’m just going to get apple to stick a new battery in my 13 pro and see what happens with the 16 pro.

hetealx

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2023
As for the initial request to share my own stats from a 15Pro, I would say I got pretty lucky on the device bought. 6hours screen on time with 15% battery left. Not bad i would say + i charged it like 2 days ago as seen on the graph. I am light to moderate user.

Attachments

• IMG_0037.png
    IMG_0037.png
    317.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0036.png
    IMG_0036.png
    323.9 KB · Views: 130
Reactions: snipr125

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
I've had this same dilemma. I like promotion a lot; it's something I notice (I know others don't). If not for that, I'd stick with the regular 15 without hesitation.
Same here. Got the 15 base but I'm almost getting dizzy by the lack of ProMotion when I scroll a lot. I know it has both better battery and is also a lot lighter, but damn I need to sell it and get the 15 Pro just for the ProMotion.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Same here. Got the 15 base but I'm almost getting dizzy by the lack of ProMotion when I scroll a lot. I know it has both better battery and is also a lot lighter, but damn I need to sell it and get the 15 Pro just for the ProMotion.

My 15 Pro seems to be settling in pretty good now and I don't think I could say one is better than the other battery-wise. Some days it's one, some days it's the other. Can't find any solid correlation, but they're pretty close to each other regardless.

kristof461

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2023
As for the initial request to share my own stats from a 15Pro, I would say I got pretty lucky on the device bought. 6hours screen on time with 15% battery left. Not bad i would say + i charged it like 2 days ago as seen on the graph. I am light to moderate user.
To be honest 6h of sot isn’t that great. Look. You are waiting in the queue for a doctor or something like that. 1h. Some other things and I can get easily 3-4h. I want to because I have enough battery. I wasn’t with my Mini 13 but it was mini. I am disappointed with iPhone 15 pro. Macro camera? Sure nice but you have to use it. 120hz look so smooth but is it worth it? A17 which could be a factor of this short battery is really powerful but maybe 1% of user use this power.
I think a17 is a problem with pro models. Yes iOS 17 isn’t great but still non pro model look solid. Take a look at screenshots posted above
I am thinking about switching to 15 non pro

Last edited:

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
My 15 Pro seems to be settling in pretty good now and I don't think I could say one is better than the other battery-wise. Some days it's one, some days it's the other. Can't find any solid correlation, but they're pretty close to each other regardless.

That’s interesting. What is your usage pattern like if you don’t mind sharing?

kristof461

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2023
So you use both models?

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
That’s interesting. What is your usage pattern like if you don’t mind sharing?
I never play games. Mostly music, texts, calls, photos/video sharing with my family, and browsing various apps related to work or just safari. Occasionally I'll stream some YT or YTTV or Netflix.

I'm not a light user as I do interact with it a lot for work and personal communication. But I wouldn't say I'm overly heavy either. I also have almost everything turned off in the "Background App Refresh" section of settings, which has never felt detrimental to me.

I normally have it fully charged when I go to bed and if I have to hit it breifly during the day I will, but that rarely happens.

So you use both models?

I did for a few weeks, then I took advantage of Apple's extended return period for the holidays.

Reactions: Al Rukh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.