Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomasparra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2022
My current iPhone 13 Pro bought in Europe has 1 physical SIM slot + eSIMs. I was able to actually run two carriers at the same time this way.

I plan to buy the iPhone 15 Pro in Hong Kong, but looking at the Apple HK website - it seems that I will only get a dual physical SIMs slot, as there are no mentions whatsoever of eSIM? Does that mean I will not be able to add eSIMs and I will only be able to use physical sim cards?

goshya

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Europe
Seems like it. I’m worried about the very same thing. If you find out that eSIM is supported after all, let me know. Thank you.

Reactions: thomasparra

Anekdote

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2010
Austria, No Kangaroos
I just checked the 13 Pro Max of my girlfriend, and her phone doesn't have the option in Settings / Mobile Data to add an eSIM. My 12 Pro does have this option, which I bought in the EU as well.

I want to upgrade to the 15 Pro Max this year in Hong Kong, and it seems likely that Apple doesn't sell phones with eSIM in Hong Kong. I also need this eSim feature; I will double-check tomorrow in the Apple Store.

thomasparra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2022
Really? Wow that's crazy. Especially in today's world of eSIMS, especially for traveling. How can they not allow eSIM? What about the iPhones in the US? ESIM only there?

thomasparra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2022
I just checked the 13 Pro Max of my girlfriend, and her phone doesn't have the option in Settings / Mobile Data to add an eSIM. My 12 Pro does have this option, which I bought in the EU as well.

I want to upgrade to the 15 Pro Max this year in Hong Kong, and it seems likely that Apple doesn't sell phones with eSIM in Hong Kong. I also need this eSim feature; I will double-check tomorrow in the Apple Store.
Sounds good. Please let ue know 😇

goshya

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Europe

Could you please be so kind as to ask if they sell European iPhones in the HK stores as well? I’ve heard one can get a European iPhone upon request, even though it’s not listed on the website. Cheers!

Anekdote

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2010
Austria, No Kangaroos
Sounds good. Please let ue know 😇
I got the confirmation from the local Apple Store in HK, the iPhones sold in store and online in China, HK and Macau are dual physical nano sim. No eSIM. :(

Could you please be so kind as to ask if they sell European iPhones in the HK stores as well? I’ve heard one can get a European iPhone upon request, even though it’s not listed on the website. Cheers!
They don't do that. Perhaps you could try third-party stores and ask if they sell versions from different countries.

sprben

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2023
As somebody who travels often I prefer 2 physical SIMs over 1 physical SIM and ESIM. I have a minigrip with about 20 SIM cards inside but some SIM cards I keep for my family members as well. Many SIM cards can be kept alive by sending an SMS every 6 months or by topping up once a year. My wife has a Mainland Chinese iPhone XR but that iPhone doesn’t support FaceTime video calling. I myself own a modded Taiwanese iPhone XR with 2 physical SIM cards. The SIM card slot of the Taiwanese iPhone XR could be easily exchanged into a physical DUAL SIM iPhone XR. I heard that exchanging the SIM card slot to physical DUAL SIM is also possible with newer iPhones but it isn’t that easy as with the iPhone XR anymore. I’m planning a trip to Hong Kong for buying the new iPhone 15 already.

Anekdote

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2010
Austria, No Kangaroos
Also be aware that the Hong Kong model does not/will not have satellite capabilities. I’m purchasing my next phone from Apple Thailand. My current is a hk 14
Ok, now I am disappointed and annoyed at the same time. With no eSIM and no satellite capabilities, why should I pay the full premium price? I'm going to buy it in Japan or other nearby Asian countries. 😒

thomasparra

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2022
Also be aware that the Hong Kong model does not/will not have satellite capabilities. I’m purchasing my next phone from Apple Thailand. My current is a hk 14

Ok, now I am disappointed and annoyed at the same time. With no eSIM and no satellite capabilities, why should I pay the full premium price? I'm going to buy it in Japan or other nearby Asian countries. 😒

Yes it is annoying. Also some 4G and 5G bands might not be available on the HK/China versions.

eSim is so important nowadays. When I travel to a new country I like to just get an eSIM straight from an APP and seamlessly install the eSIM. I get reception as soon as I land. I don't have to go to a store, wait in line, compare plans. Too much hassle for physical sims. However for longer stays most often physical SIMs are best as many operators in the vast majority of countries only provide physical SIM cards for prepaid hence having a physical SIM card is an absolute requirement for me. I need both physical and eSIM so I guess I will buy it somewhere cheap in Asia; for an iPhone that provides both eSim and physical like in Europe. Where is the cheapest besides HK?

lordhamster

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2008
Yes it is annoying. Also some 4G and 5G bands might not be available on the HK/China versions.

eSim is so important nowadays. When I travel to a new country I like to just get an eSIM straight from an APP and seamlessly install the eSIM. I get reception as soon as I land. I don't have to go to a store, wait in line, compare plans. Too much hassle for physical sims. However for longer stays most often physical SIMs are best as many operators in the vast majority of countries only provide physical SIM cards for prepaid hence having a physical SIM card is an absolute requirement for me. I need both physical and eSIM so I guess I will buy it somewhere cheap in Asia; for an iPhone that provides both eSim and physical like in Europe. Where is the cheapest besides HK?
My how the turn tables have turned. Last year at this time, I was insisting that I would prefer dual e-sim to the physical sim/esim in my 12 pro max. Everyone told me "but for travel."

Frankly in the world of Airalo, and phone plans like Google FI... physical sim only makes sense for folks who travel long-term (3+ months).

sack_peak

Suspended
Sep 3, 2023
Unfortunately not. Two physical dual sim only. I would love to know the reason behind this…

Telcos in China do not want to deal with eSIM. Domestic user demand are likely aligned to that.

Personally I like the 1 eSIM + 1 nanoSIM arrangement.

Reactions: henry72

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
My wife has a Mainland Chinese iPhone XR but that iPhone doesn’t support FaceTime video calling.

Do you mean it doesn't support FaceTime audio? I'm not aware of any Apple devices ever being blocked from using Facetime Video in China.

JaJaWa

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2013
Hong Kong | London
Took 22 mins to get into the HK Store which was a little disappointing

Still, ship date is 27 Sep to 3 Oct which is not too bad

Even if you get in now still seems to be 3 Oct to 10 Oct

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.