Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkylarMLO

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2023
Just last night, when I turned on my camera, the camera looked like something covered it up, and all that was on the screen was black. I switched back and forth between the front camera and the back camera, but the camera still showed black. After rebooting the camera is now working. But I'm curious as to why this is happening since this phone was purchased less than 24 hours ago.

Reactions: Big Country

Big Country

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2022
I have had the exact same issue. The first time it happened I just thought it was a glitch and didn't think much of it. I have had my 15 Pro Max for a week today and it has done it numerous times now. Just earlier I was with my daughter and taking some pictures of a gorgeous sunset and I pushed in and held the action button which I have selected to open up my camera for pictures. It was a black screen and stayed that way for probably 10 seconds before I got it to go off. Then, within a few minutes I tried again, this time using the camera icon on the home screen. It opened to a blurry screen and was frozen there for a good 15 seconds.

I'm thinking this is some kind of software issue but who knows? I have had it happen both with the action button and the camera icon from the home screen.

Ironically I just dropped my 13 Pro Max off in a Fed Ex drop box this evening to send back to Apple for my trade in. Maybe I should have waited! Hopefully this gets fixed because I don't like not knowing if my camera is going to be available when I open it up or if it's going to be frozen with either a black screen or a blurred screen. I can't imagine we are the only ones with the issue.

Last edited:

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
Is this issue still considered a software bug if both the front and back cameras are still black after rebooting the phone and also after a factory reset?
What else could be causing the issue? To my knowledge there has not been any water damage to my iPhone 12 Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.