Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

abracadaver

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2021
Long-time lurker, more recent forum member, first-time thread poster!

With the iPhone 15 arriving next week (a Pro Max coming my way) and the USB-C iPhone era beginning, I was wondering about some of the best options for a new car charger.

I prefer wired over MagSafe, but I’m seeing a lot of different wattages available so it’s muddying the waters for me. Also looking at going to a USB-C to USB-C cable, vs USB-A to C. What would be the max wattage for best charging speeds? Is that dependent on the car’s outlet? As far as I know I have just a typical 12V outlet in my mine.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
In my cigarette lighter, I have a charger similar to the below, a 20watt USB-C and USB-A charger.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
With the iPhone 15 arriving next week (a Pro Max coming my way) and the USB-C iPhone era beginning, I was wondering about some of the best options for a new car charger.
Do you have a car charger now? I do. I'm keeping it and just replacing the Lightning cable with a USB-A to USB-C cable. That seems like the easiest thing to do. I'm getting the cable from Monoprice. Here is one, but they have a few choices:

abracadaver

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2021
Do you have a car charger now? I do. I'm keeping it and just replacing the Lightning cable with a USB-A to USB-C cable. That seems like the easiest thing to do. I'm getting the cable from Monoprice. Here is one, but they have a few choices:

I do, although I was under the impression that the USB-A to C cable wouldn’t allow for fast charging. Or would that depend more on my charger’s output? I’m pretty uninformed about this sort of thing so happy to be wrong on that!

Thanks for the recommendation, as well.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I do, although I was under the impression that the USB-A to C cable wouldn’t allow for fast charging. Or would that depend more on my charger’s output? I’m pretty uninformed about this sort of thing so happy to be wrong on that!

Thanks for the recommendation, as well.
USBA to C allows for fast charging, whether for a phone or iPad.

However, the power provided over the cable will depend on the output of the USB port in your car.

Reactions: abracadaver

abracadaver

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2021
For anyone who might be wondering about this for their own uses, I went with this charger: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BPGSRYFH?psc=1

It has both a USB-C and USB-A port, with the C port putting out 30W max and the A port putting out 22.5W max. It also comes with a cable. I may buy a Lightning to USB-C dongle so I can use one of the many spare Lightning cables I've piled up over the years 😬

Furman

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2015
Greenville, SC
IMG_0651.jpeg
Need advice. I have a Honda Accord. Presently I use a lightning cable with USB end to connect to the USB port (2.5A). What is the best option for the new iPhone 15?

Reactions: ggab

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Need advice. I have a Honda Accord. Presently I use a lightning cable with USB end to connect to the USB port (2.5A). What is the best option for the new iPhone 15?
If it's like my previous Civic, you use the USB-A port because that's the one that works with CarPlay, right? If so, you'll only need a simple USB-A to USB-C cable. If you want to use the USB-C port in your Accord then you'll only need a USB-C to USB-C cable.

Synomenon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
I'd take Anker over the Belkins:

Reactions: mizzourah

Ceviche Lover

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2012
Does Apple not make a USB Type A to Type C cable? Crazy to think they don’t considering all of the cars that have type A ports but not type C ports.

mizzourah

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Does Apple not make a USB Type A to Type C cable? Crazy to think they don’t considering all of the cars that have type A ports but not type C ports.
They don't. There are options from Anker, Amazon and others. But not an apple one. They do make an adapter though if you are wanting to just stick with apple products

Ceviche Lover

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2012
They don't. There are options from Anker, Amazon and others. But not an apple one. They do make an adapter though if you are wanting to just stick with apple products

Thanks. I was searching for one. Just insane that they wouldn’t offer one themselves. Just imagine all the people who walk into their cars with their new phones not knowing the cable won’t work with the vehicle.

Reactions: mizzourah

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
I have a 2012 Toyota Highlander that has USB port and cigarette lighter. Which is better / faster to use for charging?

The USB to lightning cable (official Apple one) is sooo slow.

Not sure what cable / product use now for the 15 PM when it finally arrives.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.