Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoyboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Ever since I updated to iOS 17.1 my storage space on my iPhone 15PM has been completely incorrect. Before the update my available free storage space hovered around 250GB and showed the same amount of storage used in the “about” section and “iPhone storage” section however, now it’s saying completely different things on different sections in settings.

Under “about” it’s saying I have 374gb available and under “iPhone storage” it’s saying I’ve only used 95gb but has the bar 2/3 full. It also says I’ve used 127gb on iCloud Drive when before the update it was only showing 10gb used for iCloud Drive.

I now have no idea how much free storage my iPhone actually has. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Attachments

• IMG_7282.jpeg
    IMG_7282.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG_7283.png
    IMG_7283.png
    313.6 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
This was a problem with earlier builds of iOS 16. It eventually got ironed out. I suspect future updates to iOS 17 will address it to.

fam0us

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2023
Did you manage to find a solution, or do we have to wait for 17.2?

I have a similar problem, iCloud drive gets fuller and fuller after every whatsapp backup.

Then, after a restart you get some space back.

Hoyboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Did you manage to find a solution, or do we have to wait for 17.2?

I have a similar problem, iCloud drive gets fuller and fuller after every whatsapp backup.

Then, after a restart you get some space back.

Nope mine is still messed up. Given up trying to fix it. Hopefully Apple will sort all these stupid bugs out. Unacceptable really.

fam0us

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2023
Nope mine is still messed up. Given up trying to fix it. Hopefully Apple will sort all these stupid bugs out. Unacceptable really.

Yes it’s really stupid.

Last year there was a similar problem:

They said it was fixed after iOS 16.2 (December 13, 2022)

While theres no guarantee, we can only hope I think. I’ve also given up, tried everything. Called Apple and they said I’ve to factory reset again without restoring the backup now. Well, let’s say that’s not gonna happen.

fam0us

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2023
In 2 weeks 17.2 comes out.

In 17.1.2 they also spoke about a “memory corruption bug”.

Is that also something like this?

fam0us

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2023
still no difference to me after 17.2. iCloud drive says 38gb, while it only contains 600mb. In about it says 94gb free storage, under iphone storage it says 42gb.

Does anyone have a solution?

Attachments

• IMG_0234.png
    IMG_0234.png
    299.6 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0235.jpeg
    IMG_0235.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Hoyboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
This is what mine looks like now after installing 17.2. It just keeps getting worse 😂

Attachments

• IMG_7461.png
    IMG_7461.png
    300 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_7462.jpeg
    IMG_7462.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 120

Hoyboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
IMG_7487.png

Apparently I’ve used more storage than my phone can hold now and the bar goes off the screen 🤣

ninjastyle

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
A few months have passed since the last message here. A few minor OS releases since and this is still a problem for me. For everyone else as well or did anyone figure out a fix (without reinstalling the OS completely)?

At least a quick reboot reclaims all the space on my phone within minutes of the reboot.

Hoyboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
A few months have passed since the last message here. A few minor OS releases since and this is still a problem for me. For everyone else as well or did anyone figure out a fix (without reinstalling the OS completely)?

At least a quick reboot reclaims all the space on my phone within minutes of the reboot.

Nah still broken for me. Just keeps getting worse and worse after every update. Currently shows this…

Attachments

• IMG_7621.png
    IMG_7621.png
    286.3 KB · Views: 97

ninjastyle

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
I'm cautiously optimistic here. I updated to 17.3.1 last night and my phone did a WhatsApp backup this morning and the phone storage did not increase—no iCloud Drive usage.

Anyone else seeing the same?

fam0us

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2023
@ninjastyle

for me after the first 2 backups only the storage gets affected (increases). iCloud Drive gets full from the third backup on. Only a reboot helps then to clear it.

For me still the same problem, unfortunately.

Did you restart your phone after the update? I haven’t done that though.

Last edited:

ninjastyle

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah, the second or the third it looks like. I did not restart after the update. The first night was no increase, but the second night iCloud Drive increased by the size of my WhatsApp data more or less, so no fix...

fam0us

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2023
Yeah, the second or the third it looks like. I did not restart after the update. The first night was no increase, but the second night iCloud Drive increased by the size of my WhatsApp data more or less, so no fix...

Wauw, it’s the second now, used to be the third.

I think we are in the same boat..

fam0us

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2023
Ok guys, I got some good news, a lot of people started facing this problem lately. I think they only noticed it recently, because their storage only became full after a while.

Check this out:

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphonehelp/comments/199vxkc
https://www.reddit.com/r/ios/comments/19a70k0
https://www.reddit.com/r/iphonehelp/comments/19crx5e
https://www.reddit.com/r/ios/comments/19b7wnb
https://www.reddit.com/r/ios/comments/19crlzd

Last edited:

fam0us

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2023
I just wanted to restore iOS, but I’ll wait fir 17.4 now, which comes in the first week of March. Too much reconfiguration when restoring, maybe 4-5h in total, not worth it.

ninjastyle

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
I just wanted to restore iOS, but I’ll wait fir 17.4 now, which comes in the first week of March. Too much reconfiguration when restoring, maybe 4-5h in total, not worth it.

I did not read all the links posted, but do you have any evidence that this is in fact fixed in 17.4 or are you just hoping?

I certainly hope it's fixed sooner than later, but I'd rather do a 10-second reboot every few days vs. re-installing my iPhone from scratch which may, or may not, fix it.

fam0us

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2023
I did not read all the links posted, but do you have any evidence that this is in fact fixed in 17.4 or are you just hoping?

I certainly hope it's fixed sooner than later, but I'd rather do a 10-second reboot every few days vs. re-installing my iPhone from scratch which may, or may not, fix it.

Yeh, I think there is a reasonable chance, since more and more people will start complaining now, no evidence though.

fam0us

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2023
So iOS 17.4 solved nothing, I’ve kinda given up on it..

What do you guys think

ninjastyle

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
Isn’t that too early to tell? Takes a few days after a reboot, to see what happens on my end.

ninjastyle

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
I may be too optimistic too early — again — but I have not restarted my phone since Monday when I updated to 17.4 and WhatsApp has done daily backups since, but my storage is stable, no increase until now. This may actually be fixed.

Hoyboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
I may be too optimistic too early — again — but I have not restarted my phone since Monday when I updated to 17.4 and WhatsApp has done daily backups since, but my storage is stable, no increase until now. This may actually be fixed.
Mine still fluctuates all over the place. It no longer says I’m using more storage than the phone has but it still shows different storage used in each section.

IMG_7721.png
IMG_7720.jpeg

The day before the about section was showing just over 210gb free so I don’t know what it’s doing anymore. Given up with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.