Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
How is it possible that after the iPhone X was released, the first "Plus" sized iPhone based on Face ID was the XS Max -- at a size of 6.5"?

I find it incredulous that the "smaller" iPhone next year will be almost as big as the "Plus sized" iPhone released just a few years ago.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
But still pro max feels about right to me compared to pro, which are noticeably smaller. 6.3” and 6.5” difference doesn’t seem like a lot, but it truly is.

Reactions: compwiz1202

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Well hopefully its the same dimensions as the current 15 Pro, but with the bezels shaved off to make the screen 6.3".

Reactions: mikext

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Yep, if true the phone won’t really be “bigger”, just taller. Current iPhones are 19.5:9, the rumor is they are going to 20:9 or around there.

When I first heard 6.3” I was excited until I read the details. Taller doesn’t do me any good, I was hoping for wider.

Yes, I would prefer a wider iPhone as well, as I do a lot of reading on it. I feel like I haven't seen anyone else say so though!

Reactions: chfilm

hollandog

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2014
Yep, if true the phone won’t really be “bigger”, just taller. Current iPhones are 19.5:9, the rumor is they are going to 20:9 or around there.

When I first heard 6.3” I was excited until I read the details. Taller doesn’t do me any good, I was hoping for wider.
It’s wider if you rotate it

Reactions: 3Rock

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
They can make the Max as wide as they want, but they shouldn’t make the smaller one harder to hold one handed. Bigger isn’t always better. But if you disagree, the Max is there.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
For me, the iPhone 11 pro with its 5.8" screen is the perfect size: large enough for me to type with me fingers, and small enough to fit perfectly in my hand. I've been sorry to see only 6.1" screens since, and don't look forward to even bigger ones.

Reactions: gwang73

th1nk

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
For me, the iPhone 11 pro with its 5.8" screen is the perfect size: large enough for me to type with me fingers, and small enough to fit perfectly in my hand. I've been sorry to see only 6.1" screens since, and don't look forward to even bigger ones.
The iPhone 15 Pro has a smaller width as the iPhone 11 Pro, so it‘s nice to hold as well. You can compare dimensions on the apple website.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
The iPhone 15 Pro has a smaller width as the iPhone 11 Pro, so it‘s nice to hold as well. You can compare dimensions on the apple website.

Thanks for pointing this our.

I went to the Apple Store to check it out, and you're right; the iPhone 15 pro is nice to hold. It felt more comfortable to me than the iPhone 15, even though the difference in width is small. The iPhone 11 pro felt more comfortable to me than the iPhone 15 despite the miniscule difference in width; I'm guessing that's because of the more curved sides of the iPhone 15. Regardless, for the first time I'm considering the iPhone 15 pro over the iPhone 15 for an upgrade; it felt very nice.

Reactions: th1nk

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022

Thin and long is no good. You need some girth for an enjoyable experience.

• Haha
Reactions: Nozuka

darkus

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Its kind of cool seeing people who came up with an iPhone X sized (gargantuan) phone now shocked that the future standard iphone would keep getting bigger.

Now you know what us 4" iPhone lovers keep talking about/feel like when we keep asking for a iPhone mini resurrection :) And believe you mean, the iPhone mini is still really big in comparison :)

We kept being told to get with the times and get into these phablet phones. Now its your turn...

Everything is relative

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.