Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone2019

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 4, 2019
Samsungs 200mp is pretty good. Will Apple get 200mp soon?

Last edited:

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
This reminds me of the pixel wars of cameras, all trying to outdo each other on paper. It finally stopped and sensors size was prioritised instead and limitations of glass was then dictated by physics alone. I suppose a decade later the software has caught up so much that the pixel war marketing can start all up again.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The 200mp camera looks good in the video I posted.
Modern smartphone camera, pixel count is not the determine factor of how good image quality is past a certain point.

Also, with so so so many things powered by AI or some form of machine intelligence one way or another, what you see could very well be a software processed result that’s looking good for average folks and casual users, rather than the true representation of camera alone.

Let’s also not forget, smartphone only has such physical size to begin with. They are still way too far from being comparable with DSLR, while not having real optical zoom Like DSLR has.

Reactions: dz5b609 and maxrest

JonasD

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2023
Is 48MP the sweet spot or could they increase the resolution a little bit in a year or two?

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
More megapixels mean larger files and longer waits between pictures. Memory won't last long with giant file sizes for each picture/video. It will not improve picture quality. Optics are the key along with processing algorithms.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
More megapixels mean larger files and longer waits between pictures. Memory won't last long with giant file sizes for each picture/video. It will not improve picture quality. Optics are the key along with processing algorithms.
Optics..exactly! I cannae change the laws of physics, Cap'n! (Montgomery Scott, Chief Engineer, Starship Enterprise).

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
More small pixels means more noise. The number is pixels does not tell you everything about quality.

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
Is 48MP the sweet spot or could they increase the resolution a little bit in a year or two?
Pixels don't really matter for photos (to a point obviously), the only reason the iPhone has 48MP is because you need that for 8K video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.