Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Hello guys,

what is the best app or setting when one wants to film in 24fps to avoid the stutter that is presented when panning etc.?
How does one get the motion blur and the cinematic effect rather than sharp but choppy frames, please?

internetrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2018
Texas
Very funny but thats not the issue. I'm sure there is a way to be able to get motion blur and get rid off this stutter effect
That *is* the main issue. You either need to increase your FPS or slow your movement down. Since you seem hellbent on staying at 24 FPS, your option is to slow your panning speeds.

Here is a source you can use to educate yourself:

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Actually, its not. My panning speed is super slow. The issue here is that I could increase the framerate but that would take me out of 24fps which is not what I'm after. I'd assume that the solution would be with shutter speed as that will be the main problem here so I wondered how do people shoot 24fps and remove the stutter or if they use another good app that allows for motion blur and what app it would be.

Moving slower on already super slow panning is not the answer I was looking for nor is the solution. They don't do it in movies so there is a solution and its most likely in the settings.

That *is* the main issue. You either need to increase your FPS or slow your movement down. Since you seem hellbent on staying at 24 FPS, your option is to slow your panning speeds.

Here is a source you can use to educate yourself:

Rappefiets

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2021
Actually, its not. My panning speed is super slow. The issue here is that I could increase the framerate but that would take me out of 24fps which is not what I'm after. I'd assume that the solution would be with shutter speed as that will be the main problem here so I wondered how do people shoot 24fps and remove the stutter or if they use another good app that allows for motion blur and what app it would be.

Moving slower on already super slow panning is not the answer I was looking for nor is the solution. They don't do it in movies so there is a solution and its most likely in the settings.
You need nd filters to get motion blur. Your shutter speed is way to high. Rule of thumb is to get shutterspeed at twice you fps so in your case that would be a shutterspeed of 48. In most cases 48 is no option so tou go with 50.
Good luck.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
Thank you, do you know if there is a way to set that up in the native camera app? OR any good camera app you would recommend, please?

Also, how does ND filter help with this? Aren't ND filters just to reduce exposure in super bright days/skies?

You need nd filters to get motion blur. Your shutter speed is way to high. Rule of thumb is to get shutterspeed at twice you fps so in your case that would be a shutterspeed of 48. In most cases 48 is no option so tou go with 50.
Good luck.

Freida

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 22, 2010
I see, that makes sense. A bit cumbersome though. Maybe iOS 16 will bring better customisation?

They force slower shutter speed if all other variables (ISO sensitivity and aperture value) remain the same, ie manually locked.

rachelcenter

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2019
I have this same issue. I put my iphone 15 pro on a professional tripod, set it to 4k 24p and tried to film a pan up of my TV screen that is mounted on the wall and it looks jittery and awful. I was getting this same issue with the DJI Osmo pocket when you set it to 24p 4k so I thought the 15 pro would be a cheaper camera alternative that could handle 24p. apparently not.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
I have this same issue. I put my iphone 15 pro on a professional tripod, set it to 4k 24p and tried to film a pan up of my TV screen that is mounted on the wall and it looks jittery and awful. I was getting this same issue with the DJI Osmo pocket when you set it to 24p 4k so I thought the 15 pro would be a cheaper camera alternative that could handle 24p. apparently not.
It can handle 24p. You just need to set the shutter speed appropriately (1 / double the frame rate i.e. 1/48th of a second or 1/50th of a second for 24p) to make it look smooth. To do this you can either set the shutter speed manually (e.g. in Filmic Pro) or put an appropriate neutral density filter over the lens so the phone automatically lowers the shutter speed if you are using the native camera app. Even if you set the shutter speed manually you'll often need a ND filter (unless you're in low light) as otherwise your footage will be overexposed.

rachelcenter

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2019
what is filmic pro? that sounds like a 3rd party app. can you not set it manually within the apple camera app itself?

rachelcenter

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2019
It can handle 24p. You just need to set the shutter speed appropriately (1 / double the frame rate i.e. 1/48th of a second or 1/50th of a second for 24p) to make it look smooth. To do this you can either set the shutter speed manually (e.g. in Filmic Pro) or put an appropriate neutral density filter over the lens so the phone automatically lowers the shutter speed if you are using the native camera app. Even if you set the shutter speed manually you'll often need a ND filter (unless you're in low light) as otherwise your footage will be overexposed.
but when I take the dji osmo pocket and film at 48 fps without any ND filter and then conform it to 23.976 in premiere, i dont have that issue. so why is this issue only with 24 fps?

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
but when I take the dji osmo pocket and film at 48 fps without any ND filter and then conform it to 23.976 in premiere, i dont have that issue. so why is this issue only with 24 fps?
Because if you are at 48fps then the shutter needs to be at around 1/100th of a second to get smooth motion, which is probably a lot closer to what the camera automatically sets it to in normal room lighting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.