Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBainNO

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2017
How was the iPhone 2G packaging?, more spesific how was the content packed(US)?.
There are loads of unboxing videos, but none show this or they show repacked boxes.
The picture below is the closest I could find, but where does the usb cable go?.
IMG_6790.jpg

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Hopefully the original iPhones were not as prone of jumping out of their box upon opening it and falling to their deaths as the 6 - and maybe 6S - series was... I noticed that my iPhone 7 did not sit on its tray right at the very top of the packaging anymore, presumably because Apple finally took note of phone's suicidal tendencies... :p

Reactions: danny8200

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
How was the iPhone 2G packaging?, more spesific how was the content packed(US)?.
There are loads of unboxing videos, but none show this or they show repacked boxes.
The picture below is the closest I could find, but where does the usb cable go?.
OTE]

There are lots of detailed photos at the link below. I'd forgotten all about the iPhone shopping bag that mine came home in.

https://www.engadget.com/2007/01/09/the-apple-iphone/#gallery=60999&slide=709174&index=0

This has me wondering how many original iPhones have been intentionally kept in factory sealed boxes.

Last edited:

Phisherman81

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
From what I remember they didn't jump or slide out when opened, if you opened them the right side up.

But I opened mine in the car with someone else driving. Lol, at the time iTunes and Cingular's activations in store were sooooo crummy, they advised me to take it home and plug it into my iTunes to activate. So the ride home consisted of sliding the lock screen back and forth between lock and the emergency call dialpad!

Reactions: JamiLynee

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Wow, remember when they supplied a dock?
Times have changed.

Right now, Phil Schiller is trying to find the courage to remove the lightning cable from the iPhone 8.

Times changed back in 2008 when the 3G did not include a dock. :)

2G had a cleaning cloth too.
It was also ludicrously expensive and limited. Sometimes nostalgia clouds our judgement and memory.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
As opposed to the current iPhones?
IMHO, yes, the original was moreso than current phones (considering what it had/didn't have for $600 ON CONTRACT in 2007 vs. iPhones now).

Though I'm sure arguments could be made for the other side as well.

Just my .02.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
IMHO, yes, the original was moreso than current phones (considering what it had/didn't have for $600 ON CONTRACT in 2007 vs. iPhones now).

Though I'm sure arguments could be made for the other side as well.

Just my .02.

I was just talking about this with my wife. I used my first deployment money as a young Lance Corporal in part to buy the original iPhone. I had gotten home about 1 week after they were release and even though I was drooling along with other Marines over internet photos of iPhone for the months leading up to us getting back. Internet on the ship wasn't that good so we didn't get to watch the keynote just look at photos. Well anyway, I couldn't wait to find stock and tried to go with a BB (pearl? that sounds familiar) but after trying to access the internet on it and remember those photos I took it back so fast and starting calling stores all around the area of FL I was in until I found one. Then I couldn't even use it until I got to my parent house and their country bumpkin internet was about as good as the boat.

Back to your point, the OG iPhone was much more exclusive, much nicer quality overall, and yes more expensive by far. As I said earlier I was talking with my wife about how I used to have to decide if the cost of a new phone was worth the upgrades which they usually were in the past. Now, TMO gives me a "free" new iPhone on day one each year just by giving them back the older model. I know this isn't really free since I pay for a rental fee of sorts, but I don't mind 30 bucks a month for a device I'm on constantly. Phones are much less expensive overall than they used to be.

Last note, I don't remember AppleCare + being around in the early days and if you busted your iPhone you were just SOL.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Hopefully the original iPhones were not as prone of jumping out of their box upon opening it and falling to their deaths as the 6 - and maybe 6S - series was...

I specifically remember watching a guy on the news excitedly open his box on launch day in 2007 and have the phone slide right out and onto the ground, shattered. The look on his face was priceless.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
I specifically remember watching a guy on the news excitedly open his box on launch day in 2007 and have the phone slide right out and onto the ground, shattered. The look on his face was priceless.

Think most of us remember this one. I don't think it was the iPhone 1 though it was the 2nd or 3rd one. Reporter was talking to him because he was the first to buy one and as he slid the top off his phone did the same right onto the brick sidewalk. poor guy but yeah his face was like :O

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
From what I remember they didn't jump or slide out when opened, if you opened them the right side up.

But I opened mine in the car with someone else driving. Lol, at the time iTunes and Cingular's activations in store were sooooo crummy, they advised me to take it home and plug it into my iTunes to activate. So the ride home consisted of sliding the lock screen back and forth between lock and the emergency call dialpad!

Lol I remember that - that was such a bad way to sell contracts (from a business perspective!).

I got mine from O2, paid the £169 up-front cost, plugged it in, promptly closed iTunes and its contract setup screen and run ZiPhone lol. Surely they must've known people would've skipped the contract activation doing it at home - think they learnt for the iPhone 3G!

Only smartphone I think I've ever made a profit on after a year :D

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Omg, I never saw this. I did watch a clip on youtube of some guy on the news who was first out of an Apple store after having queued all night for an iPhone 6 or 6+ (don't remember which), and as he was about to show off his shiny new merch, the lid of the box suddenly pops off and the phone hops off the tray and suicides out of the box and right down onto the paved sidewalk. Guy's face was as shattered as his new phone.

I feel for those guys, I'd be devastated if that was to happen to me. Of course, I wouldn't open the box when it's still in my hand, I'd put it on a table first so I wouldn't lose control of any of the contents... :p

slingshott

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2017
I honestly have no idea but I miss that dock, even iPod's used to come with them. What you think no one uses desks anymore Apple?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I honestly have no idea but I miss that dock, even iPod's used to come with them. What you think no one uses desks anymore Apple?

I don't think a dock is really needed any more tbh.

When we had the dock it made messages and phone calls easily visible. Nowadays messages and calls get sent to my computer with iMessage/Facetime, as well as my watch. I really have no need to physically "look" at my phone any more.

slingshott

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2017
I don't think a dock is really needed any more tbh.

When we had the dock it made messages and phone calls easily visible. Nowadays messages and calls get sent to my computer with iMessage/Facetime, as well as my watch. I really have no need to physically "look" at my phone any more.

That's a good point actually, but I did like looking at it fondly as I worked. It'd be nice if they included one with the top of the line iPhone 8's for nostalgia's sake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.