Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dr427

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
Oklahoma City
Has anyone successfully setup the wi-fi access with their 2wire modem/router.

I can hook up my Macbook pro with no problem by adding a $ in front of the Wep key, but that doesn't seem to work with the iphone.

Sprockets

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
UT, USA
Has anyone successfully setup the wi-fi access with their 2wire modem/router.

I can hook up my Macbook pro with no problem by adding a $ in front of the Wep key, but that doesn't seem to work with the iphone.

I have 2Wire at home and work (sitting right by it right now), and I'm not sure it's working with it. Is there a clear way to tell? I'm sure there is, but I haven't gotten that far into "learning" this thing yet! I'll post any findings, though.

I didn't have to do a $ for my Powerbook. That's interesting...

dr427

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
Oklahoma City
You can try accessing the internet and it should ask to use the WI-FI connection. Then you select the wi-fi it finds. I wonder if the 2wire has a maximum number of connections? I have 3 wireless.

Also, in the upper left corner you have the AT&T signal strength then the half circle signal strength next to the AT&T. That is your wi-fi signal strength.

tismfu

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2006
I'm not well-versed on this topic, so apologies in advance, but here's how I was able to get an iPhone to recognize my 2wire router:

I tried inputting the dollar sign using what I thought was the appropriate password type (WEP, IIRC) but I couldn't get it to accept the password w/ or without. Then I changed the type of password (WEP hex?) even though to me it didn't seem to be the right one given how my 2wire IP address page described it, but it did the trick and I now have WiFi on my iPhone through the 2wire.

Hope that helps.

dr427

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
Oklahoma City
I just figured it out too. You are correct.

You go into General Settings > Wi-Fi > change the Wep password to Wep Hex. Then it works fine. No $ needed either.

Just the 10 digit code off the bottom of the 2Wire DSL Router/Modem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.