Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benzy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Hi guys, I've owned an iPhone 3G for about 6 months now and it's been great so far.

Last week I noticed that the ORM earphone mic (the one that came with the iphone) no longer works, basically no more "hand free" for me. Now the problem is that I'm not sure whether the earphone mic is busted or if the earphone port on the actually phone is busted.

I'm in Australia and I'm currently on a 12 months contract with Optus. Should I go to Apple or Optus for warranty?

spookme

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2009
I had exactly the same problem a little while ago and silly as it sounds for me it turned out to be a bit of "lint" at the bottom of the headphone jack. I know it sounds silly, but have a look see if you got something in the bottom of the jack that might solve your problem.

Polymira

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
Try plugging the earbuds in about 10-15 times really quickly (in and out, in and out, and so on).

Then see if it works. That'll tell you if it's just something stuck in there (this is what apple will have you try first)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.