Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wonderbread57

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
Does the new iphone have the same processor as the old one? Is it a dual-core (the iphone REALLY could use a dual core)?

I've seen a few posts complaining about the interface being sluggish compared to firmware 1.0. Apple has added lots to this new iphone and firmware, I wonder if they have a processor that is up to the task. One of my biggest pet peves with any tech is SLOW MENUS and interface which often means devs are trying to push too much features in to an underspec'd device.

Isn't there suppose to be a new ARM processor in the works? When is apple going to actually upgrade the hardware?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Does the new iphone have the same processor as the old one? Is it a dual-core (the iphone REALLY could use a dual core)?

Yes it uses the same processor. And why would you want a dual-core? Do you have any idea what that would do to battery life and heat dissipation? You'd have a hot iPhone with less than half the battery life.

I've seen a few posts complaining about the interface being sluggish compared to firmware 1.0. Apple has added lots to this new iphone and firmware, I wonder if they have a processor that is up to the task.

I've seen sluggishness on SOME applications (bloomberg, NYTimes, etc), and then others (mostly games) that have even more features and are theoretically more CPU-instensive seem to sail along just fine. This is more a coding issue than it is a processor issue, IMO. Yes, you could throw more cores into the phone, but if the apps aren't optimized for multithreading (and almost none of the iPhone apps are), then it won't do you a lick of difference. It will continue to run on only one CPU core, and yet you'll still have all the disadvantages of going dual-core while the other sts idle, sucking power and giving off heat, but doing nothing.

In any case, the way to solve this and do it right is to have the programmers of apps that are running slow to optimize their code better. A lot of times, sluggish response is caused more by code bloat than it is the CPU. With Microsoft's long tradition of bloat, we've just gotten used to blaming the hardware, and not the software.

One of my biggest pet peves with any tech is SLOW MENUS and interface which often means devs are trying to push too much features in to an underspec'd device.

Haven't seen slow menus on the iPhone, sorry.

Also, are these net-intensive applications? If so, then some of the sluggishness may be from the phone having to pull menu data off the 'net. 3G is fast, but not THAT fast.

Isn't there suppose to be a new ARM processor in the works? When is apple going to actually upgrade the hardware?

I'd put my money on at least another year. But from what I've seen, it doesn't need the hardware update now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.