Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macinoah

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2016
So I ordered an iPhone 3GS (2009 model (A1303) and it has no SIM card) and I want to hacktivate it, but before I do, will my push notifications stop coming in? If so, how could I fix this? Thank you!!

Macinoah

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2016
Pretty sure a hacktivated 3GS won't have push notifications or iMessage. I don't know of any way around that. What's the point, anyway?

Well my iPhone 3GS is on iOS 4.1 (I don't want to update because I already have apps on my Mac that are compatible) and since my phone doesn't have a SIM I will have to use a third party instant messenger. But the texts will not be able to be pushed since my iPhone is jailbroken. I installed a tweak called "inject" in the Insanelyi repo and it says that it installs certificates for push notifications on hacktivated devices. Installed it and nothing happened. I will post a link to that tweak if you want to look at it. But if none of this works, I will go into the AT&T store and I'm sure they will give me a free/cheap unactivated SIM card.

Last edited:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Get a SIM card. Where are you? Here in the USA I just got a Tracfone SIM card for a 3GS at Target for $1.00. In the UK, I think GiffGaff will mail you one for free.

What's in iOS 4.1 that doesn't work in iOS 6.1.6 between the iPhone and your Mac? Just wondering.

Macinoah

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2016
Get a SIM card. Where are you? Here in the USA I just got a Tracfone SIM card for a 3GS at Target for $1.00. In the UK, I think GiffGaff will mail you one for free.

What's in iOS 4.1 that doesn't work in iOS 6.1.6 between the iPhone and your Mac? Just wondering.
Well this may seem a little ridiculous but I'm a collector and I keep all of my collections on their earliest firmware. And I know iOS 4.1 is not the original firmware for the iPhone 3GS, it's just that iOS 4.1 is the oldest firmware that is still signed by Apple and I'm unable to downgrade to 3.1.3. I do live in the US and probably the next time I go into my local Target store I'll look for that SIM card you mentioned. But anyways thank you so much for the help, I appreciate it.
[doublepost=1472053285][/doublepost]
There isn't really a problem between the iPhone and my Mac. This may seem a little ridiculous but I'm a collector and I keep all of my collections on their earliest firmware. And I know iOS 4.1 is not the original firmware for the iPhone 3GS, it's just that iOS 4.1 is the oldest firmware that is still signed by Apple and I'm unable to downgrade to 3.1.3. I do live in the US and probably the next time I go into my local Target store I'll look for that SIM card you mentioned. But anyways thank you so much for the help, I appreciate it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.