Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Anything AMOLED and *especially* PenTile (Samsung Galaxy S III) should not even be ranked in any TOP X lists. IPS panels are the best, hands down. High pixel density panels are a plus. AMOLED panels have lower power draw but the color is disgustingly fake. That is one area I most definitely DO NOT want to conserve battery life on. A smartphone's most important aspect is the display, that's where we spend 100% of our time using the smartphone. We look at the display, we touch the display, we play games on the display, we read stuff on the display, etc. It has to look really good. And not only do AMOLED panels look fake, they look just as bad while doing so which is a double no-no.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I had the One X for a couple weeks and I thought it was the best I've seen other than the iPhone. The only thing I noticed was the depth of pictures was better on the iPhone. I don't know if anybody else has noticed this but if you look at the same picture on the One X and the iPhone 4s the 4s seems to be a little more realistic. The One X makes the picture look more flat. I was showing someone both phones at work and they noticed as well without me saying anything. I took a couple side by side pics when I had the One X but its hard to see what I'm talking about in a photo. The extra saturation in the One X made some pictures look better and some look unrealistic. It just depends on your preference and what picture you’re looking at. I would say it’s very close but I gave a slight edge to the iPhone for display.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
That's bs

Absolutely. The One X has the best display out there. Next up is iPhone 4/4S strictly quality wise (forget the size and lowish resolution). Pentile AMOLED displays are mid-pack at best because of the cartoony colors and the blurry pentile effect, although ones with 720p screen are still plenty sharp.

One thing about the AMOLED screen though. Black is BLACK, and those who like to look for LCD light bleed with the backlight on max in a dark basement, won't have that to obsess over with AMOLED ;)

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
That's a pretty big jump you've made. The difference between a 3.5" and 4.8" display (with similar pixel density) is vastly different to a 23" vs 46" display (of the same resolution), to the extent that it's not really even relevant to the conversation.

What the OP is saying is that size was a factor in his decision, but a it's not the deciding factor. Image quality is important too, and I agree with him whole heartedly. What's the point of having a monster display if the image looks like crap? The iPhone display (while not the best) still offers better image quality than a large number of phones with bigger screens. They key is a balance between size and image quality.

Ok, then how about make the sizes 23" and 32" (I'd say 31", but they aren't the norm)? That's the same percentage difference between the iPhone 4S and the GS3.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
To be honest I don't see the difference unless I put them side by side. The Razr's display sucks according to tech article, but I much prefer it over my iPhone just due to its size. It makes web browsing and forums etc etc so much more pleasant, easier on the eyes and easier to navigate.

I think one needs to ask themselves what their priorities are. Do you prefer quality over size? Do you like or dislike the colors on amoled? Etc etc...

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
To be honest I don't see the difference unless I put them side by side. The Razr's display sucks according to tech article, but I much prefer it over my iPhone just due to its size. It makes web browsing and forums etc etc so much more pleasant, easier on the eyes and easier to navigate.

I think one needs to ask themselves what their priorities are. Do you prefer quality over size? Do you like or dislike the colors on amoled? Etc etc...

The funny thing is, if the iPhone had an amoled display, people on here would be bragging about how vibrant the colors on our phone are, and how well they pop. In the real world, when asking people to compare screens, not one person ever complained about the amoled screen's colors being too vibrant or saturated. They always said, they preferred those screens because of how good everything looked on it, similar to how people tend to pick the hdtv with the best contrast and color vibrance. It's only on forums that you see people using it as a negative.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Ok, then how about make the sizes 23" and 32" (I'd say 31", but they aren't the norm)? That's the same percentage difference between the iPhone 4S and the GS3.

Regardless of the answer, what would that prove? It's not a comparable situation. You buy a phone based on a variety of different reasons, which change from person to person. I wouldn't buy a phone with a huge display and crap image quality, and I wouldn't buy a phone with a tiny display and great image quality either. I'd buy one with the best balance of the two that I can find. What I (or anyone else) defines as a point of balance is meaningless to others as they have their own criteria.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
The only way to do a comparison is

Technology type

AMOLED
IPS
Pen Tile

whateva

Then focus on the common denominator PPI.

and then toss it all out when you realize that humans perceive color differently.

;)

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Regardless of the answer, what would that prove? It's not a comparable situation. You buy a phone based on a variety of different reasons, which change from person to person. I wouldn't buy a phone with a huge display and crap image quality, and I wouldn't buy a phone with a tiny display and great image quality either. I'd buy one with the best balance of the two that I can find. What I (or anyone else) defines as a point of balance is meaningless to others as they have their own criteria.

My point is, by his logic he'd choose the 23" television over the 32" because of image quality. All other factors aside, this is what his statement about screens would lead me to believe.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2012
My point is, by his logic he'd choose the 23" television over the 32" because of image quality. All other factors aside, this is what his statement about screens would lead me to believe.

I wouldn't be the market for either, so no, you don't get to frame the conversation with a straw-man argument.

Though, if I had to choose between a 47" TV with a superior screen vs a 77" TV with bad image quality, yes, I would choose the smaller screen all day every day.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

Meaning what? He likes image quality, that's his personal preference. If you rate size as more important, then don't get an iPhone. I don't get the point you're trying to make with this?

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Meaning what? He likes image quality, that's his personal preference. If you rate size as more important, then don't get an iPhone. I don't get the point you're trying to make with this?

How about you let him make his point himself. I wasn't asking you about HIS point. I asked him, and would like to see HIS response. Your response to a question directed at HIM, isn't welcome. Thanks. :eek:

----------

I wouldn't be the market for either, so no, you don't get to frame the conversation with a straw-man argument.

Though, if I had to choose between a 47" TV with a superior screen vs a 77" TV with bad image quality, yes, I would choose the smaller screen all day every day.

Way to duck the question. It just goes to show your point was weak to begin with. I'm talking specifically about screens, just as you were talking specifically about screens. I wouldn't be in the market for some of the phones I named, but it doesn't change the fact that they have quality displays.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
How about you let him make his point himself. I wasn't asking you about HIS point. I asked him, and would like to see HIS response. Your response to a question directed at HIM, isn't welcome. Thanks. :eek:

Not your forum (not even your thread), I am free to reply as I see fit.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2012

----------

Way to duck the question. It just goes to show your point was weak to begin with. I'm talking specifically about screens, just as you were talking specifically about screens. I wouldn't be in the market for some of the phones I named, but it doesn't change the fact that they have quality displays.

I didn't duck the question, I just stripped you of a potential strawman and eliminated the hyperbole.

Within the realm of reason, all things being equal other than screen size and image quality, I'd choose smaller screen.

blackbirdz

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2012
Colors in AMOLED looks fake and 'cheap'. The blue looks 'super blue' and green looks 'super green'. It looks kinda nice at first but you'll feel not right. I browsed Samsung S3, it's kinda hard in the eyes, and felt like dozy/sleepy.

iPhone retina display is the best. Good contrast and good color choice. Try to look in your address book/message list, you could feel as if you're looking at a paper (not a display that emitting a light).

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I had the One X for awhile. I would say iphone 4/4s screen blows it away the X. Yes its nice and big, however rhe color are way over saturated to the point of being comical, and distracting.
I'm neither easily distracted, nor do I exaggerate, the difference between the displays on my iPhone 4S, my HTC One X, & my Galaxy S III, is very small. They each have their advantages.

Best of all is the fact that I don't have to bash one over the other, to defend my favorite. My self worth is not tied to the phone I carry.

party

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2012
Hong Kong
I love the Retina display on the iPad because it is large, crisp and has very bright yet saturated colours. The blend of the above three things just makes Retina display by Apple (on its all 3 products) my favourite.

Most other displays are good and a pleasure to look at but they mostly fail at the colour part.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.