Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Annalea

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Inland NW
Long story short: I've had my iPhone for three years. Husband has used iPhones for four. We just began allowing our 15yo son to use hubby's old iPhone 4 for photos, facebook, etc. (No phone service--it's essentially a fancy ipod right now.)

Last night, I set a passcode on it, in order to help "encourage" him to take care of his responsibilities at home (chores, schoolwork, etc) before spending time on the phone.

This morning, the passcode I used does not work.

Before anyone says, "Are you sure you didn't just forget?" or any of the other obvious questions, let me assure you: I'm a mom of six, 15 down to 4 years old. I KNOW I forget things. I maintain two passcodes in use at any given time on the home devices (including my iPhone 4s and an iPad), and I don't use ANYTHING else, because I KNOW I'll forget it.

I'm also a pianist and editor. I pretty much never fat-finger things . . . and the idea of fat-fingering something twice, as I'm carefully setting a passcode on an iphone with those HUGE numeric buttons, is pretty far-fetched.

When trying to use the passcode this morning, the phone did some strange things, like allowing three chances, then locking itself for a minute, then the next time I tried, allowing many chances, but then locking again for one minute as soon as I tried the passcode I know I used. It would sometimes wait 10-15 seconds after entering a wrong passcode before rejecting it. But if it was the right one, it rejected it instantly.

In other strangeness, a few days ago it stopped being recognized by iTunes on my iMac. This hasn't happened with any other devices, and so I'm thinking there's something fishy with the iOS install. Trouble is, we've had network issues, as well, and the phone isn't on the wifi anymore, so my son can't reset things in iCloud remotely so we can restore it from a backup.

Are we just totally beaten this time? I hate to throw the thing away, because it's a damn nice device, even if it is a little older.

I think I'll start praying, and see if I get the answer in a dream, or something . . . lol

Annalea

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Inland NW
Wow. 155 views and no responses. lol That dire, huh? :confused:

Good news: my iTunes started recognizing the device again. Still can't do much with it, but at least we can be sure it's backed up now. :)

Annalea

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Inland NW
Thanks, as11ley. I wish the forum had notified me I had a reply . . . I googled tonight and found instructions for the same thing, here: http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-a-Forgotten-Password-for-an-iOS-Device

The old iPhone 4 is currently undergoing the whole nuke & pave experience. I'm not sure I've seen a more beautiful sight on this screen than the white apple and progress bar on a black screen.

Hopefully this can help someone else, too. :)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.