Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

morany

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
I posted this question in the official apple forums but it seems like all people do is just add more questions to the original inquiry rather than actually answer the question, so I'm hoping I can find the answer here.

I have an Iphone 4 with ios 5.1.1. About a month ago, my iphone suffered water damage.
I turned it off and nursed it back to health using the dry rice method. 2 days later I switched on my phone and it seemed like my Iphone returned to normal.
3 days ago I turned my phone off for what i'm pretty sure was the first time since I recovered it from the water damage. Iphone won't turn on without being connected to power, although it says it's on 100% battery when it does turn on. It goes to front screen and... you know the drill, activation required message.

I'm almost certain it wouldn't have happened had I not turn my phone off. My phone is unusable.

I have managed to bring it to DFU mode and have the option to recover if I upgrade to ios 6, however before I do it I want to make sure this is the only necessary step to take. Reason being I enjoy using ios 5 and don't want to change it. any ideas on how to rescue my iphone without upgrading the operating system?

I'll appreciate any help!

gara56

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
Texas
I would say that as long as you have not upgraded (and backed up on your computer) to the next IOS--you should be ok. I'm still using 5.1.1. on my iphone 4 and it still informs me that there is an updated IOS. I just cancel when it asks me in itunes or iphone. I would also make sure it's not connect to you network via wifi.

luigismartphone

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2013
Florence, Italy
Is your iPhone locked on a mobile network? If Yes, take the sim card out from your iPhone, then the Activation page should go away, then install SAM from Cydia and hacktivate your device.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363189789.317410.jpg

morany

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Is your iPhone locked on a mobile network? If Yes, take the sim card out from your iPhone, then the Activation page should go away, then install SAM from Cydia and hacktivate your device.
View attachment 402245

I'm not sure if it's locked to a network, but it was running it without a sim (after tiring of the bad battery life span of the iPhone I bought a samsung and kept using my iPhone as an iPod and games device). I did try putting the sim back in and taking it out, but it didn't help. I'm starting to think I might just give up to the iOS 6, but my photostream doesn't download all my photos, which is a whole new problem. One thing I am sure of - I will never buy another iDevice in my life. They seem to give me more grief than joy.

And gara56 - the situation I'm in right now is one when the phone is unusable, what you describe is when the device lets you know there is a new iOS but let's you keep using the device. Thanks for trying to help anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.