Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jenifer north

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2016
Italy
I deleted an old Apple ID, not realising it was also used on a phone which I rarely used. It is gone forever. I would like to start using this iPhone 4 again but cannot log in, the ID being defunct. Nor can I return it to factory settings without the log in details.
I have been told I can download a lite Open Source operating system. Really? If so - HOW.

Thanks.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Put it in DFU mode and restore iOS using a computer. If it's activation locked with your old Apple ID, you'll have to take your receipt to Apple showing proof of purchase/ownership (containing the serial number) and they should be able to remove it. If you don't have a receipt, then you're pretty much out of luck.

Also, not sure if you meant using it as an actual phone. If you did, it won't work because 3G service no longer exists and it doesn't support 4G or 5G.

jenifer north

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2016
Italy
Put it in DFU mode and restore iOS using a computer. If it's activation locked with your old Apple ID, you'll have to take your receipt to Apple showing proof of purchase/ownership (containing the serial number) and they should be able to remove it. If you don't have a receipt, then you're pretty much out of luck.

Also, not sure if you meant using it as an actual phone. If you did, it won't work because 3G service no longer exists and it doesn't support 4G or 5G.
Sorry to be so dim but ---- what is DFU mode? I live Italy and the Apple guy is a reseller, unhelpful, and I think I know more than him! I use the phone for listening to audio books and can use some apps. Its has a UK number and it does work, but I use it mainly for passwords etc. I wanted to get rid of Apple return it to factory settings or download an alternative OS. I must admit that I am not into the "phone culture" as I am hearing impaired.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Sorry to be so dim but ---- what is DFU mode? I live Italy and the Apple guy is a reseller, unhelpful, and I think I know more than him! I use the phone for listening to audio books and can use some apps. Its has a UK number and it does work, but I use it mainly for passwords etc. I wanted to get rid of Apple return it to factory settings or download an alternative OS. I must admit that I am not into the "phone culture" as I am hearing impaired.
DFU stands for Direct Firmware Upgrade. It provides your computer a direct connection to the device firmware (to upgrade it) no matter what state the device is in.

But the advice about activation lock is solid. Activation lock came with iOS 7 and the last update that the iPhone 4 can run is iOS 7. So, if activation locked and you aren't the original owner with receipt you will have a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.