Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pressx2select

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
hi! I have an iPhone 4 on iOS 5.0.1 and an iMac with OSX 10.9.2 I have recently been messing with Xcode and am wanting to put apps that I make on my phone. Currently Xcode 5 only lets you test for iOS6 and 7. I am wondering if it is worth upgrading my iPhone 4 to iOS 6 to be able to mess around with developing my own apps or would iOS6 be too slow to even bother with on the 4.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions and opinions.

pressx2select

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
You will only be able to upgrade your iPhone to 7.1.1 now. I'd still say it's worth doing.

Why would I only be able to update to 7.1.1? Can't I update to any version of 6 before updating to 7? I mean, I know apple is only offering the latest version to download but I could find other sources to download later firmware versions.

The main thing I was wondering is, if updating will make it extremely slow and un-usable.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why would I only be able to update to 7.1.1? Can't I update to any version of 6 before updating to 7? I mean, I know apple is only offering the latest version to download but I could find other sources to download later firmware versions.

The main thing I was wondering is, if updating will make it extremely slow and un-usable.
Apple signs their software updates, the other ones are no longer being signed, which makes it impossible to install them (short of having some devices, including iPhone 4, but even with that it would require having additional items saved from those versions to install them when Apple isn't signing them).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.