Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AllieRosariox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2018
Hey guys, (sorry if this is long but i really need to figure this out) so i have an old iphone 4 that has very important info... that i charge up every now and then to get photos from etc...
The other day i was charging the phone and got a burn plasticy like smell.. (sorta but not exactly the smell you get from a hair straightner) i unplugged it, and it went away. I didn't think twice about it.. since i had actually been using my hair straightner beforehand and wasnt exactly sure where the smell was coming from exactly... i used the phone, the phone stayed on, everything fine.. about a week or so later i went to charge it again and once again got the same smell... the usb adapter connected to the wall was very hot but the phone itself was ok. the orginal charger broke so i have a $6 charger i got at walgreens once (i use the original iphone usb power adapter) the charger cord is plastic... but has worked well this whole time.. i unplugged it again but this time the smell kind of lingered...on the phone. I panicked, (thinking it could be a battery issue) and turned the phone off. Since then.. i've actually been getting the same smell in my room multiple times when i plug certain things in the other walls..and such... the smell also seeps out from the same outlet the phone had been plugged into before. i unplugged a couple things and it has gone away... so i am not sure.. if the smell could be from an electrical problem in my room? And couldve caused the phone charge port to burn? I've been researching and many sites say it probably isnt the battery... since the phone was on and running fine.. and i havent had any battery leakage...and as the smell to a battery leak is between a sweet smell or rotten egg smell which is not at all the smell this one has..i also read how cheap chargers are actually really bad for phones... and could have too high voltage or such...? The phone is off and hasnt been turned on since the incident but i am very worried about my things on there...the info on the phone is very important to me and i do not have copies of most of the info on there.. so my question is.. what exactly do you think happened here? What do i do next? If i buy an original iphone 4 charger will i be able to charge and use it again with no problem? And if i turn the phone on will everything be fine..? Thank you again in advance.

Last edited:

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
First of all test the phone charger in another outlet in another room or ideally entirely different part of the house or even in someone else's house. I had what you had with my Galaxy S6 Edge. My room would smell like burnt plastic and it was actually the cable itself. It burnt a brown spot into it, I threw that piece of junk away as quickly as possible and used a different cable. No problem after that. Sounds like a faulty charger/cable to me.

Reactions: AllieRosariox

AllieRosariox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2018
First of all test the phone charger in another outlet in another room or ideally entirely different part of the house or even in someone else's house. I had what you had with my Galaxy S6 Edge. My room would smell like burnt plastic and it was actually the cable itself. It burnt a brown spot into it, I threw that piece of junk away as quickly as possible and used a different cable. No problem after that. Sounds like a faulty charger/cable to me.
[doublepost=1515434106][/doublepost]Thank you so much ! i will try that...

AllieRosariox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2018
Also, if it continues, it very well could be the battery Exceeding in temperature causing the burning odor from the internals. I would monitor it closely being this an old iPhone.

Thank you !! Is there a way i could buy a replacement battery for it and install it?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'll check them out, thank you so so much for your help! Should i try turning the phone on or get the new batt first? I'm so scared the batt will leak or something...

If you have a secondary option for a phone that you can use over your iPhone 4, that's what I would do personally. And then replace the battery once you decide to order the iFixit kit or not.

Reactions: AllieRosariox

Gin Gin

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
Whatever you do, you need to back up whatever is so important on that old phone ASAP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.