Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rs123456789

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
Hi,

I have a 32GB Iphone 4 which I haven't upgraded since iOS 5.1.1 because of the fear that my perfectly fine (well almost) iphone will be rendered useless with an OS that is too demanding. However, as time goes on more and more apps simply don't work with my phone and I feel like I need to upgrade, but am worried about performance.

Should I upgrade? What is the performance difference like? I ask as this is not a usual comparison (between ios 5 and 7, not 6 and 7).

Thanks,

R

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
how is that possible if apple doesn't sign off ios7 anymore
Apple signs the latest versions that are available for the given device. In case of an iPhone 4 the latest available is iOS 7.1.2.

Jr. Pac

macrumors member
May 23, 2014
^ Correct. Like iOS 6 is still signed for 3GS, 4.2.1 for 3G, and so on.
It's their max upgrade, so it still has to be signed for that particular device.

Honestly, if you want performance I would strongly advise against upgrading. iOS 7 is incredibly sluggish on iPhone 4. Animations are choppy, everything takes too long to load.

You can back up and save your SHSH blobs for 5.1.1 for safety if you absolutely must try iOS 7.

MagicHAM

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Australia
^ Correct. Like iOS 6 is still signed for 3GS, 4.2.1 for 3G, and so on.
It's their max upgrade, so it still has to be signed for that particular device.

Honestly, if you want performance I would strongly advise against upgrading. iOS 7 is incredibly sluggish on iPhone 4. Animations are choppy, everything takes too long to load.

You can back up and save your SHSH blobs for 5.1.1 for safety if you absolutely must try iOS 7.

But the downside to that is that they are stuck on apps that old and cant be updated (e.g linkedin for example, you cant download the older version LinkedIn won't allow it, even though Apple tries to do so). i0S7 runs fine on the iPhone 4 provided you turns off parallax effects. 7.1.2 is pretty stable for the old mole. :p

I say upgrade, at least then you can keep up to date with new apps that are still compatible with 7 and up.

Jr. Pac

macrumors member
May 23, 2014
But the downside to that is that they are stuck on apps that old and cant be updated (e.g linkedin for example, you cant download the older version LinkedIn won't allow it, even though Apple tries to do so). i0S7 runs fine on the iPhone 4 provided you turns off parallax effects. 7.1.2 is pretty stable for the old mole. :p

I say upgrade, at least then you can keep up to date with new apps that are still compatible with 7 and up.
iPhone 4 doesn't even support parallax ;) It still runs like garbage.
Honestly, in terms of loading apps, it is about the same loading time with an iPhone 4 on 5.1.1 as a newer iPhone on OS 8. Heck, I tested my iPhone original on OS 1.0 and it was only a fraction of a second slower to load apps than a 5S on OS 8.

I say just use Safari and use the Add to Home Screen shortcut.

But in the end, it's up to the user. If it still functions, the apps on 5.1.1 will be faster than the ones compatible with 7.1.2. In fact, I believe they will be dropping OS 7 support for a lot of apps fairly soon. If you don't mind the new design of OS 7, you may just want to consider a phone upgrade to something like a 5c, for longevity.

MagicHAM

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Australia
iPhone 4 doesn't even support parallax ;) It still runs like garbage.
Honestly, in terms of loading apps, it is about the same loading time with an iPhone 4 on 5.1.1 as a newer iPhone on OS 8. Heck, I tested my iPhone original on OS 1.0 and it was only a fraction of a second slower to load apps than a 5S on OS 8.

I say just use Safari and use the Add to Home Screen shortcut.

But in the end, it's up to the user. If it still functions, the apps on 5.1.1 will be faster than the ones compatible with 7.1.2. In fact, I believe they will be dropping OS 7 support for a lot of apps fairly soon. If you don't mind the new design of OS 7, you may just want to consider a phone upgrade to something like a 5c, for longevity.

See I never used i0S1. I was pretty much Apple user from i0S5 from iphone/ipad standpoint.

I will have to kindly disagree with you about 7 running garbage. Even after all the updates, with my old iPhone 4 I never experienced the issues that the drama queens on here complained about. (Well they were, sorry, but they were. Who gets upset at slow frame rates on a phone? Seriously?) The apps loaded fine, there was no crashes ... Then again those people who likely complained were using their phones for more then just what it was... a phone.

All the matter of perception and how you used the phone at the time though.

saberz

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
7.1.2 runs pretty good, much better than the first release of 7. I don't experience choppiness with apps but do have some loading times for media intensive apps and occasional keyboard lag.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
My girlfriends iPhone 4 runs iOS 7.1.2 and to me it is extreeeeeemly slow. I could never live with it, and it pains me to see her use it, although she seems satisfied. My iPhone 4S runs it MUCH better.

So I wouldn't recommend updating, unless you need the App support.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
This applies to A5 devices running IOS 9 as well, although this version is still in fifth beta.

And iOS 7 runs great on iPhone 4, except the speed and responsiveness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.